Was in a wreck need some info. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Was in a wreck need some info.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
WBowie
2004 WJ 

Was in a wreck need some info.

I was running an errand Monday and was about to turn left onto Peach Orchard from the Bobby Jones expressway in Augusta GA. The light turned green and I started across the intersection following another car when out of the corner of my eye I see a car not stopping and rushing through the intersection but it was too late and they slammed into the rear left quarter of my jeep. The impact flipped me onto the passenger side. I wasn't wearing my seatbelt (I know..bad) so I fell from the drivers seat onto the passenger window. Luckily I only scratched my right elbow. I had to reach up to cut the engine off...never lost conciousness. Then when the paramedics arrived they put the neck brace on me and I had to help get myself manuevered into the back so they could take me out the rear hatch(otherwise they were going to cut the roof open!). I never saw what the other persons car looked like AND the kicker to all this is that while I was in the ambulance the state trooper told me a witness said I ran a red light..so I got a citation and will have to contest it in court. Docs at the hospital ran exrays and a CT scan..I'm ok. Really glad I have insurance.....both full coverage on the Jeep and the health insurance through my job.

Jeep was just brought to the shop this morning..they called to say they were about to put it on the lift. The shop will take pics of the progress of the repairs for me to monitor on the web..which I think is cool.

So my questions are...
Shouldn't the engine have cut off on its own once the Jeep tipped over? Some sort of safety cutoff on the gas?

Beyond the obvious mechanical things to check..what other things should I make sure the shop looks for?

WBowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
moleman
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Negative, I would not want my Jeep to cut out in the middle of 4x4ing.
moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
WBowie
2004 WJ 

This is a stock Jeep 2w drive. No lift kits..just a street vehicle.
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

doesn't matter. the answer is no, it should not shut off.
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

hmmm I would think it would be totaled so you can get a 4x4

Seriously, glad your okay.

Make sure they check your axle, if it is bent just a little bit it's life will be greatly reduced!

On the ticket, you can check and see if they had cameras...if the other guy ran a redlight the camera should have caught him...if you ran...it should have caught you.
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
WBowie
2004 WJ 

Well other than some coolant spilled from the overflow bottle..the jeep apparently starts and runs fine. Here are a few pics..I will get more. It really is just cosmetic. don't know about the axel yet though.

Unread 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

what about the damage from where they hit you
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
WBowie
2004 WJ 

Yeah those pics were sent to me from the first place they towed the Jeep..I still have not seen it in person. Once the shop where it IS begins the repairs they will be posting pics on their website as the work progresses.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.