Won't start. Camshaft, Crankshaft suspected - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Won't start. Camshaft, Crankshaft suspected

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 09-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
akinshake
1999 WJ 

Won't start. Camshaft, Crankshaft suspected

Fellow jeepers, I need your help. I have read every possible thread I could find looking for a definite answer, or at least a good direction or guidance.

It is a 99 WJ 4.0 Laredo.
The problem I have been having was a stalling and sputtering issue at first, no codes. Now it doesn't do that all anymore, I think thats supposed to be a good thing, however now all it does is die randomly while i am driving. The first time it happened, I did some quick reading and found that i should check my ground wires, well the negative terminal was corroded and slightly loose so i cleaned the post and terminal and it started. Got it home and replaced the terminal with a matching military style terminal and new connectors. drove fine for a few days and have been battling this issue ever since. It wouldn't start on saturday after driving into town, messed with the battery terminal for a while and realized one of the new connectors were loose. Replaced them, still wouldn't start. No codes, It turns over and sounds like it is going to start and never does. Left it over night, went back the next morning and it started right up. Drove approx 2 miles before it died again. Wiggled the wire loom with the negative to block and power to the starter and it started again. Drove fine for another day until after 4 hours of parking lot mechanics, had it towed home.

It only threw a code while sitting in the parking lot this last time. P 0320, which I believe is a general camshaft and/or crank position sensor. i plan on replacing both of them with mopar products except i can't find the Camshaft position sensor made by mopar anywhere. I found the crank position sensor here: https://www.autopartsway.com/PartDet...33-1680741/MPR

Is this the cheapest one/ best one? Where can I find a camshaft position sensor? I also heard that in order to change the camshaft position sensor, your engine has to be in "top dead center" and the only way it looked like I could line them up is to remove the entire front end to see the timing chain cover?

I also plan to replace all of the positive and negative battery cables with larger gauge wire and new connectors. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the inline fuse coming out of the fuse box to the alternator? just use standard gauge wire and splice in a standard inline fuse kind of like in a amplifier power wire to a stereo?

Any further suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

Unread 09-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It sounds to me like a Crankshaft Position Sensor. You may find this helpful: 2004 4.0 Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

To set your engine to TDC, look for a mark on the harmonic balancer and a second mark on the timing chain cover. Line these up during the compression stroke for cylinder 1 and you'll be set.

As for parts, I'd suggest contacting Kolak here on the forum. He has great pricing on genuine Mopar products.

Lastly, I'd suggest replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor before messing with the Camshaft Position Sensor. Your issues sound like the crank sensor.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
RedTabE
1996 ZJ 

Kolak is a good guy and he'll help you out with parts. I always contacted him via e-mail kolak@aol.com
RedTabE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.