WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage. - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage.

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #106
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundblad View Post
Our jeeps seem to be polar opposite then. I should give T5 and T6 a try. Lol.

How's the Valvoline HM going for you? What's the zddp content?
FWIW
I switched FROM Valv. ML to Rotella years ago, due to the lack of ZDDP but IIRC they changed there formula years ago and got rid of the zinc and phosphorus and upped the moly and boron. There was talk back than about the ML having X amount of recycled content so I jumped ship. I never thoroughly researched the above claims because at that time I was learning about HDEO and I now HDEO's in EVERYTHING. If I was going to use a PCMO it would be a SOPUS product, definitely PNZL HM over Valv. ML.

My 4.0's have had a steady diet of T5 (summer) and PNZL HM (winter)for a long time.

here is what I can find for a VOA of ML......
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...3097292&page=1

based on the above there are MANY better oils for a 4.0 than ML. maybe try veggie oil !!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ue#Post3114041

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #107
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
This is an old thread but I remembered it, I had said I'd post a UOA of Castrol HM when I got one. Well I've got one and I am underwhelmed to say the least.

This is why you do UOA's, my 4.0 ran so smooth and quiet on the Castrol HM I was totally sold. But the UOA shows I can do better. UOA's are a great tool, I also learned my use is much closer to severe use than I would have guessed. So I'm cutting my OCI's back. The scary part is I ran the same stuff a full 5k without a UOA prior to this.

This was a winter blend of 5w20 and 5w30 that should have resulted in a standard 5w30, the original kv@100 was about 10.5. The moly is coming from a full can of MoS2 which I also added to the brew. I will not be using that any longer as it's not cost effective for shorter OCI's.

WOW I kinda feel that he Fe is a bit high along with aluminum, somebody remarked that this was not a bad UOA.......not hateful but we have DEFINITELY seen better. I guess that settles that the 4.0 does not appreciate castrol "shearing" and shows significantly higher wear numbers.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #108
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I switched to a thicker Pennzoil (10w40 with a single quart of 5w20 to thin it a bit) and got MUCH better results. Very happy with this one, especially the aluminum, as with the WJ's 4.0 the piston skirts are something to potentially cause problems so very low aluminum is a great sign this 4.0 is healthy.

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #109
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I did the T5 I think it made my engine louder like the mobil one. maybe im stuck with high mileage and or full syn is to slick for me now. still have valv max life high mileage 10w-30 waiting for its change............ working on other things . my 99 Cherokee and 2002 both have interesting noises coming from them lol
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #110
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In my area TSC sells the T5 in the 10w40 flavor.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #111
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02grandy View Post
I did the T5 I think it made my engine louder like the mobil one.
That's a common comment with Rotella, it doesn't have anything to do with protection but for some people (like me) it's annoying.

You want quiet use Pennzoil. My results (very good IMO) posted above.
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #112
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
I switched to a thicker Pennzoil (10w40 with a single quart of 5w20 to thin it a bit) and got MUCH better results. Very happy with this one, especially the aluminum, as with the WJ's 4.0 the piston skirts are something to potentially cause problems so very low aluminum is a great sign this 4.0 is healthy.

You have officially inspired me to give PYB a try. Do you think i should just start out with 10w30 or should i give the thinner 10w40 mixed drink a try?? Itll be for an indiana winter. It can be anywhere between 20 and -20 degrees. lol
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #113
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

For winter I'd definitely just go 10w30, nothing overly heavy, in fact if it's going to be that cold (-20 brrr!) that would be the 5w30's one chance to shine. I'm not a big fan of 5w30 in the 4.0 BUT just like the manual says it is just fine when its the cold months. My Jeeper BITOG buddy ran the Pennzoil 5w30 over the winter and his UOA was good also.

Whatever you do, be sure to update with your feedback down the road.
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #114
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

As of today my lifter came back as I was leaving work. Restarted my Jeep and it was more quiet. Maybe the PYB will help?? I just worry I have a mechanical issue with the engine, but im willing to try whatever to make that tick go away.
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #115
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I wouldn't expect any oil to fix a mechanical issue, but oil can sure make a difference in lifter noise. If you are referring to lifter tick, thin is your friend, not thick. MMO can sometimes help clear up lifter noise as well.
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #116
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Yeah I was going to give MMO a try along with PYB. Walmart was sold out of the 5 quart jug and it would have been like 8 dollars more to buy individual quarts. I'm too cheap for that.
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #117
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wj

the Valvoline 10w-30 high mileage maxlife is making my jeep louder so im gonna switch back to my Castrol HM .
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.