WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #76
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

Thanks!

as350b3e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #77
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by as350b3e View Post
I live in Canada where the temps are right now at - 16 celsius......brrrr but soon tye temps will get even lower to -30 and sometimes to -40. Is the castrol hm 5w30 the correct choice or should i be using a 10w30 or even something else?

Cheers

I'm running it right now, love the stuff my Jeep runs fantastic on it and it cleans very, very well also. But IMO no it's definitely not what you want for a Canadian winter, Castrol HM is the thickest HM oil you can buy and the 5w30 version is thicker than many ordinary 10w30's. The "5w30" on the bottle is just a start, there is still tremendous variation between oils all in that grade, it's just a "range" not a specific number that has to be hit.

For your winters I'd suggest Valvoline Maxlife 5w30, it's thinner, and flows much better than the Castrol at cold start up, it's absolutely great stuff I consider the pair of them the best two "High Mileage" oils made by far. Maxlife is the most popular HM oil for a reason.

For reference as I said I'm running the Castrol HM 5w30 right now and I don't even plan to run it through our Missouri winter which is a farce compared to yours in Canada. I'll be changing in a few hundred miles and will be blending the Castrol HM 5w30 with 5w20 to thin it down for the winter months. If I was running Maxlife I wouldn't have to do that but I'm sticking with the Castrol for a good while yet, I like it that much.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #78
JeepIsKing
2001 WJ 

What an interesting discussion. I have a 4.0 with 115,xxx and I run Mobil1 full synthetic in it because for past 12 years that's the only oil I've used in my cars. After reading this I'm switching to Mobil1 High Mileage.
JeepIsKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #79
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepIsKing View Post
What an interesting discussion. I have a 4.0 with 115,xxx and I run Mobil1 full synthetic in it because for past 12 years that's the only oil I've used in my cars. After reading this I'm switching to Mobil1 High Mileage.
Good choice for the 4.0. Like the Castrol the Mobil HM is thick, you won't need anything more than the 5w30.
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #80
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep

Good choice for the 4.0. Like the Castrol the Mobil HM is thick, you won't need anything more than the 5w30.
Idk I have 193k on my 4.0 ran Valvoline h'm forever just switched to rotella t5 and wow instant difference engine is whispered quite and runs better that's in the first 100 miles from making the change. Plus its cheaper!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using JeepForum
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #81
JeepIsKing
2001 WJ 

I was under the impression that Shell ROTELLA was designed for heavy duty commercial vehicles such as 18 wheelers and so on??? How come our WJ engines like it???
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #82
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepIsKing
I was under the impression that Shell ROTELLA was designed for heavy duty commercial vehicles such as 18 wheelers and so on??? How come our WJ engines like it???
Do the research on here and all over the web the 4.0 loves the oil and you can use it in gasoline engines has the same certs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using JeepForum
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #83
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Up until very recently the label on the Rotella bottle said "heavy duty engine oil" they changed it to "diesel engine oil". The formula is the same as before and the name was changed to keep the alloted amount of zinc additive in the oil because its "for diesel engines". Gotta love loopholes!

Why does the 4.0 like it? Well most older diesel engines still run solid lifters (cat 3204, 3208, 3304, 3306) so these engines need lots of zinc. Our engines run flat tappet hydraulic lifters so there's the common ground, the only difference is we don't have very high valve spring pressure.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #84
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Rotella is great stuff and still one of my favorites, it's API SM rated so it can safely be used in gassers like Jeeps too.

Heck once all 4 of our vehicles had Rotella in them at the same time. Kind of like a high mileage oil on steroids.
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #85
JeepIsKing
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota
Up until very recently the label on the Rotella bottle said "heavy duty engine oil" they changed it to "diesel engine oil". The formula is the same as before and the name was changed to keep the alloted amount of zinc additive in the oil because its "for diesel engines". Gotta love loopholes!

Why does the 4.0 like it? Well most older diesel engines still run solid lifters (cat 3204, 3208, 3304, 3306) so these engines need lots of zinc. Our engines run flat tappet hydraulic lifters so there's the common ground, the only difference is we don't have very high valve spring pressure.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Thank you very much for the explanation. I won't be switching to ROTELLA just because I've used Mobil1 Full Synthetic for past 12 years and never had problems with it.
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #86
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

I ren Mobil one in everything until I bought my mustang. The cam phasers used oil pressure and were very picky on what oil you used and would throw an error code. So I put motorcraft full synthetic in it and never had an issue. I switched to Rotella on my jeep for the added protection after viewing many UOA. Then after buying my speed3 Mazda changed the spec from 5w-30 to 5w-40 because of turbo drain issues and the direct injection being hard on the oil. Again, UOA showed that Rotella didn't shear its weight down compared to anything else. Heavy duty engine oil indeed. Is use Mobil 1 again in a heartbeat if I had anything that could use it.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #87
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

i got the castrol high mileage 10w-30 blend is part conventional part synthetic with 2 wixes for the grand and xj 4.0s and for the 2011 liberty 3.7L i went with the conventional 5w-20 castrol and not the valvoline " premium conventional"
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #88
aeking

I know this is an old thread but here is what happened when I ran rottella. My oil pressure will not drop below 80 unless at idle. Changed oil and filter still have same prob. I think oil pressure sensor is next.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
aeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #89
WJ2000
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeking View Post
I know this is an old thread but here is what happened when I ran rottella. My oil pressure will not drop below 80 unless at idle. Changed oil and filter still have same prob. I think oil pressure sensor is next.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
below 80' what''' Iam useing rottella T6 for winter, You got an problem with
your oil pressure senser.
2000 WJ 4.0 NEW 4.6 stroker. W/ 4'' Tera Flex Long arm kit, KING 2.5s w/res front,2.5 Kings w/res Rear,Tom wood front drive, 33 x 15s KM2s, Bassett 15'x8 ,fully addjustible Tera flex Track bar, IRO 3link rear, EBC Dippled & sloted front disks, EBC green stuff pads, Iceland off road fender flairs''.
WJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #90
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Basically for 4.7 any xw-30 SM rated will work, the T5 10w-30 meets that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepIsKing View Post
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.