WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage.

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #61
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I hear ya but, saying Pennzoil is the best is not only a bold claim but, coudn't be further from the truth. I have yet to see a engine ran on Pennzoil that was clean. Well, I take that back I have seen one or two that were not badly sludge but, you could run you finger inside the valve cover and pull out some of the build up that wasn't burnt to the cover yet. I haven't ever seen that from any other oil unless it was never changed.

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #62
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Real life tests are important. Don't forget, though, driving style can affect oil as well...
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #63
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65novalt1ss View Post
Billzcat am i correct that you run t5 5 w30? All i find here is 10w30. Thinking of running t5 in a 4.7 but didnt know if the 10 would be ok.
I actually run T5 10W-30, but that's because the 4.7HO I have specifies 10W-30. For a standard 4.7 I would either go with the T6 5W-40 (if you really want Rotella) or any number of good quality synthetic 5W-30 oils. M1 High Mileage comes to mind and runs about $6/qt through WallyWorld. I certainly wouldn't pay the $9-10/qt that local parts stores charge for it. I'd sooner run Castrol Edge, Amsoil SSO, or Redline at that price point.

I've spent a fair amount of effort researching what works well for a good price. By doubling the oil change interval, the M1 High Mileage becomes an excellent value without resulting in additional wear (proven by UOAs for my engine, your results may vary).
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #64
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

@BlackJeep -- spend some time on bobistheoilguy.com - a forum filled with 50,000 oil nerds. PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) is pretty highly regarded as a quality conventional oil, and Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra both are excellent synthetics.

Don't judge an oil based on what you see from average owners who generally completely ignore oil change intervals except for "when it's convenient". A TON of people just do whatever is cheapest or whatever the Qwik-E Loob puts in there whenever they feel like stopping by one on the way home from work.

Research the oil based on enthusiasts and their extensively-tested results.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #65
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't have a bunch of test to prove but, will leave it at this. I have a friend with a 2010 Altima always changed the oil every 3 to 4k like clock work using Pennzoil in fact since new. The car had 45k I think. Not to long ago he noticed his engine running noiser than it should so being he was due for a oil change I changed the oil for him. I put just the regular Valvoline in it and just with the oil sitting in the crank case not even circulated yet the oil was already turning dark brown from the detergents being used up. I changed the oil for him at least two or three more times within about a 1,000 miles or so and the engine is just about clean now. Results from lab's can be scewed. Me personally like to see it for myself because thats the better test that don't lie. People who know use Valvoline.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #66
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
@BlackJeep -- spend some time on bobistheoilguy.com - a forum filled with 50,000 oil nerds. PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) is pretty highly regarded as a quality conventional oil, and Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra both are excellent synthetics.

Don't judge an oil based on what you see from average owners who generally completely ignore oil change intervals except for "when it's convenient". A TON of people just do whatever is cheapest or whatever the Qwik-E Loob puts in there whenever they feel like stopping by one on the way home from work.

Research the oil based on enthusiasts and their extensively-tested results.
I take BITOG with a grain of salt. Most on there are Pennzoil whores so what do you think they are going to say? Pennzoil is that site's biggest supporter.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Your not going to bite the hand that feeds.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #68
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Real life tests are important. Don't forget, though, driving style can affect oil as well...
Agreed 100%. I know some don't change oil like they are suppose to nor drive the best either.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #69
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Actually, the largest site sponsor on BITOG is Exxon-Mobil.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #70
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well Pennzoil is the second biggest and if they left the site would be hurting for sure.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #71
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Valvoline and Castrol are excellent, that's about the only thing you've said that has made much sense. Just so you don't think I'm skewed I'm running Castrol High Mileage right now and plan to do so for some time. You're clearly not open to any new ideas so we'll just agree to disagree and be done. We both have JEEPS right?

FYI Pennzoil doesn't sponsor BITOG anymore, hasn't in quite a while it's doing just fine. Valvoline, Castrol and Mobil are the big oil sponsors there.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #72
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Look its okay if you like Pennzoil its your right to use it. I just don't buy off into its the best oil there is. I have always liked Castrol and Valvoline and haven't ever had any issues and haven't had any to have any problems either with the two.
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #73
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

I live in Canada where the temps are right now at - 16 celsius......brrrr but soon tye temps will get even lower to -30 and sometimes to -40. I just bought 5 liter of castrol hm 5w30 i still have the receipt so i can still change my mind....
Question is, my 99 wj laredo 4.0 has the comfort of a private garage over night but has to sit outside during the day when at work (i have block heater). The jeep has 238000 km (148000 miles) on it and bought it 6 months ago with 230000km. I have since changed the oil once at 232000km. The daily trip to work is 20km one way.
Is the castrol hm 5w30 the correct choice or should i be using a 10w30 or even something else?

Cheers
as350b3e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #74
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

5W30 is good down to -20C according to the owner's manual. Below that, they recommend 5W30 and use of the block heater. Change back to 10W30 when spring rolls around.
Unread 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #75
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

5w-30 will work fine in it. I run 10w-30 in mine but, if it was to get into the single digits I would switch to a 5w-30. I know Canada has harsh winters so I would not worry about it. In fact if you don't have an engine heater running the 5w-30 would be better for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.