WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage.

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #46
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
I have a 98 with 260k and it has only had regular castrol the first 150k then the maxlife life the other 110k with no problems. People stress to much about ZDDP and truth be known 1992 ZDDP was only at 1200 and by 1996 was only at 900 to 1,000 so if it were that big of deal we would see several thousand 4.0s with problems. Not the case.
I agree, I've spent hours reading Jeep 4.0 UOA's and ZDDP, while definitely not a bad thing, doesn't seem to make a lick of difference in wear numbers.

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #47
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

calebj stick with castrol or valvoline high mileage 10w-30 its quiet and running great dont change a thing. thats what im gonna be running from now on and sticking with it. everything i heard on the web says once you go with high mileage oil you have to stick with it because it swells up the seals and keeps then nice and blump lol. the overall idea is just to make sure your have clean oil and the right oil. dont get all fancy. also i do wix filters dont know about those pures
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I usually run Rotella 10w-30 with a mopar filter. My question to you folks is, has anyone tried Zmax oil and gas addatives. Or should i just do frequent oil changes to clean the engine out? I think i might have some build up on the compression rings.

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #49
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Go google "zMax lawsuit" and tell us if you still think it's worth using. (THE ANSWER IS NO)
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #50
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
I usually run Rotella 10w-30 with a mopar filter. My question to you folks is, has anyone tried Zmax oil and gas addatives. Or should i just do frequent oil changes to clean the engine out? I think i might have some build up on the compression rings.
Man honestly, I would just use a good oil like Castrol or Valvoline and change it every 3k with a good filter like Wix are Purolater. If Zmax was that good oil companies would use it. Carrol Shelby got big bucks to talk about Zmax. 20 bucks a pop for 12 0z of product is a rip off. I know its suppose to soak into metal and all but, your motor oil does the same thing. Engines use oil some more than others so there gimmick of saying soaks into metal unlike regular oil is bs. All engines use a little oil some more than others otherwise some of you parts would not get the proper lubrication like the upper part of your oil control rings and such.
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #51
65novalt1ss
2002 WJ 

Billzcat am i correct that you run t5 5 w30? All i find here is 10w30. Thinking of running t5 in a 4.7 but didnt know if the 10 would be ok.
65novalt1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #52
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Use that 20 bucks and buy yourself another oil change with it. If you suspect you have build up I would either change it every few tank fill ups until it was clean or pull the oil pan to look and see and if its dirty clean it by hand. Other than that your not going to be able to do any better.
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #53
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

As long as you stay away from Pennzoil and Quick Mistake I think you will be fine.
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #54
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are wix filters better than mopar filters?

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #55
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well about the same. I prefer Purolater over both but, you have to be careful with Mopar because they are always changing vendors. I remember a while back they were using Fram and I think they have since then gone back to Purolater but, you never know what's going to happen. I just get the Purolater's from Wally World.
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #56
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
As long as you stay away from Pennzoil and Quick Mistake I think you will be fine.
Dude that's urban legend from like 40 years ago, get over it! Today's Pennzoil is one of the best conventionals on the market and there's nothing wrong with Quaker either although a few dollars will get you better.

And 3k oil changes should be dead, anything decent should be able to do 5k unless you are TRULY under severe service (very few people are).

Purolators are very good filters, Motorcrafts are made by Puro but have better features for almost the same price, my favorite "value" filter by far, Mopars have been Puro's like Motorcrafts for a while now but they cost more for some unexplained reason.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #57
Upside
2002 WJ 

I drive about 60% highway and am about to do an oil change on my T5 10W30. It has about 7500 miles on it with a larger filter and I plan on having the analysis done.

Unfortunately I get some cold start valve train noise but I'm hesitant to go with a lighter oil because it rarely gets below 32F here.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #58
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
Dude that's urban legend from like 40 years ago, get over it! Today's Pennzoil is one of the best conventionals on the market and there's nothing wrong with Quaker either although a few dollars will get you better.

And 3k oil changes should be dead, anything decent should be able to do 5k unless you are TRULY under severe service (very few people are).

Purolators are very good filters, Motorcrafts are made by Puro but have better features for almost the same price, my favorite "value" filter by far, Mopars have been Puro's like Motorcrafts for a while now but they cost more for some unexplained reason.
Run what you want but, I wouldn't use Pennzoil are Quacker cake in my lawn mower. Pennzoil might be better but, I'm not about to test and see. I know Valvoline and Castrol are the best oils period. Every engine I've seen torn down had low wear and was clean as a mole's ***.
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #59
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

You could probably go more than 3k but, me I will stick to what works. Why reinvent the wheel? All my engines have ran well over 200k with no problems doing it that way.
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #60
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I know Valvoline and Castrol are the best oils period.
Bold claims without test results... Not looking to start anything, more suggesting that for the above comment to be correct, you're going to have to post test results from a controlled environment...

My brother's friend's uncle knew a guy that had this here tractor - only ran on 5 cylinders but by-golly them there pistons were shiny as all get out when they rebuilt it after 30 years of use. All they ever did was run some molasses and a little dish soap through it - couldn't afford oil back then. All I'll ever use nowadays because clearly, it's the best being that the tractor ran for 30 years on it...

...See what I mean?

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.