WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ + XJ Rotella T5 10w-30 vs. Mobil 1 high mileage vs. Castrol high mileage.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
FrankU
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02grandy View Post
time for an oil change again. 2 wix filters and .................... im really thinking of going back to the castrol high mileage 10w-30 before i switched over to the t5 because it made everything quiet. so you'd think that would be doing the better oiling job over the t5 right? no noise means you found the right balance of the oil not being to thick or thin is what im thinking????? thats my commonsense
Did you switch back to Castrol High Mileage ? Noise quiet down ?

Unread 10-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #32
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

sorry guys my update is since i have two jeeps and alternate back and forth . Along with barely driving them since i work local. my twice a year oil changes are getting pushed to the spring it looks like. now even more so with a synthetic in there... lets keep this going guys. lets us know what your using and when you switch if anything changes noise related etc. i still might change the oil in the 99 in another month we will see.
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #33
WJ2000
2000 WJ 

I used Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 for the first year brake in of my new motor . And now I use Shell Rotella T6 5W 40 .
2000 WJ 4.0 NEW 4.6 stroker. W/ 4'' Tera Flex Long arm kit, KING 2.5s w/res front,2.5 Kings w/res Rear,Tom wood front drive, 33 x 15s KM2s, Bassett 15'x8 ,fully addjustible Tera flex Track bar, IRO 3link rear, EBC Dippled & sloted front disks, EBC green stuff pads, Iceland off road fender flairs''.
WJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #34
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javsst View Post
Curious myself as to which one will work better. I've been using Castrol GTX HM 10w-30 for the past three oil changes with a mopar filter.

Since it's been getting below 40 degress lately, I've noticed a slight ticking
on cold startup. Goes away after a minute or so.

I might try the Rotella this time around. The engine has around 100K on it,
so it's well broken in

Steve
Castrol HM is the thickest HM oil available that I know of. The 10w30 is identical to the Rotella in actual "thickness". Now that it's getting cold I'd suggest the Castrol HM in 5w30. It is actually thicker than most generic 10w30's but it has a higher Viscosity Index so it flows better, and of course it's a bit thinner than the Castrol HM 10w30.

I've been running the Castrol GTX HM in 5w30 since late July, it's been really quiet and it also seems to clean well. I'm actually going to run a blend of Castrol HM 5w20/5w30 over the winter (it will still be as thick as normal 5w30's) then switch back to the straight 5w30 in the spring. The Castrol has been as quiet as the Pennzoil has been for me, and I've tried a lot of oils.

I'll be doing UOA's on it also, Chris please be sure to post yours!
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar4ever View Post
would the rotella 10w 30 work on a 4.7 non ho. i have a very light cold start tick in the lash ajusters. was running castrol gtx 10w 30 dyno oil with wix filter. changed every 3000 miles, just want to know if the rotella would offer any better protection?
Rotella would work but it's just not a great match for the 4.7. Something like Maxlife in 5w30 would be a much better pick for that engine.

For fighting ticks, thinner not thicker is your friend. The Maxlife flows better and is thinner than most other high mileage oils, and has a great add pack plus a history of producing very low wear in engines.
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

bought my castrol high mileage 10w-30 tonight i was looking at the valvoline high mileage . wanted to buy it but they only had the 5 qt and no single quart. i also bought a qt of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and debating if i should put this in place of of the one qt of with the castrol .im tired and after i left i realized i could have bought the valvoline 5qt and the lucas one qt lol. im going back to the castrol or maybe the maxlife lol to see if the tapping knocking noise goes away
Unread 11-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #37
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Forget about the Lucas oil stabilizer. All you get is about a 250W oil with zero additives at all. You would be much better served with a quart of anything else short of cat urine.

KayCee - I'd be really interested to see your UOAs with Castrol HM. With its low-zinc formula it will be interesting to see how it treats you in the 4.0.

I'm running Rotella T5 in the 4.7HO at the moment. I'm interested to see how it does compared to the M1HM I ran for 2 years. Also interested in possibly going to T6 5W-40 since I have so many cold starts and short drives. Between the T5 and M1HM, I get more zinc and better TBN than the M1 but less moly. Much more calcium for cleaning.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #38
murrdock
2004 WJ 

Have you looked at Quaker State Defy? Cheap and loads of Zinc. My 4.0 seems to like it better than Mobil 1 HM.
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #39
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I still have my sample to send in to Blackstone Labs of the Rotella T5 10W-30 that was used and abused more than I like. I used to be a 3K OCI kind of guy but on the T5, I *think* I ran it 6K - 6.5K (I need to check my notes - it was close to that.). I'm excited to see how it stood up to that length of time with 80% city driving, ~20 minutes per trip. That many miles makes me nervous but then again, I'm used to changing early and often. I'll try to send that out this weekend and see how it stood up!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #40
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

i looked at the quaker statedefy but didnt know do the research to compare what had more zinc.
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #41
CalebJns
1999 WJ 

Wow, talk about perfect timing! I bought my '99 just over a month ago. It has the 4.0 in it, and right at 225,000 miles on it...the PO gave me EVERY SINGLE Receipt for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING ever done to the Jeep. Every oil change, tire rotation, brakes, tune ups, belts, hoses, etc...Jeep currently has no leaks, but the engine is filthy! Have really debated on degreasing it, but don't want to wash anything away that may be "holding" stuff in. It is time for the oil change (only reason I didn't when I bought it, was because he had just had it changed before I bought it, and it looked clean and smelled fine, when Checked). The PO took it to Xpress Lube and has kept Valvoline HM in it...runs great, doesn't tick or knock...should I stay with that? I change my own oil and filter, and will probably go with a Purolator Pure One Oil filter (Yellow One).

I have been looking into what oil is/will be best for the ole girl, and this discussion popped back up in the thread. I've looked at the Castrol GTX High Milage, Mobil1, Valvoline HM, and been looking at the Rotella...Just need input!

I drive my Jeep Daily, back and forth to work (10 miles round trip), then to practice (30-40 miles round trip), and running errands (100 miles a week)...not a whole lot of stop-start...usually upon arriving at work, practice, errands, it is sitting for 3-6 hours...
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #42
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would run the Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 to me its the best oil for the 4.0L it has 2100 PPM of calcium,490ppm of sodium as well as 760 phos 840 zinc and 160 of moly. You really don't need 1,000 plus of ZDDP in the stock Jeep 4.0L it has weak springs and 2000 and newer 4.0's have very conservative cams even though they are flat tappet. If you were running a stroker with a mild to wild cam I would say something like Valvoline VR1 but, to run that in stock is just overkill and doesn't provide any benefit really. Use the Valvoline Maxlife in confidence.
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #43
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a 98 with 260k and it has only had regular castrol the first 150k then the maxlife life the other 110k with no problems. People stress to much about ZDDP and truth be known 1992 ZDDP was only at 1200 and by 1996 was only at 900 to 1,000 so if it were that big of deal we would see several thousand 4.0s with problems. Not the case.
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #44
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
KayCee - I'd be really interested to see your UOAs with Castrol HM. With its low-zinc formula it will be interesting to see how it treats you in the 4.0.

I'll be sure to post, it'll be a while because the first UOA will be on the second run for the best evaluation, but I'm planning on doing several in a row as well.

Current first fill is at 4,500 and still very quiet, I've had "quiet" oils get to clanging after a few thousand miles before, but the Castrol hasn't done that.
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02grandy View Post
bought my castrol high mileage 10w-30 tonight i was looking at the valvoline high mileage . wanted to buy it but they only had the 5 qt and no single quart. i also bought a qt of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and debating if i should put this in place of of the one qt of with the castrol .im tired and after i left i realized i could have bought the valvoline 5qt and the lucas one qt lol. im going back to the castrol or maybe the maxlife lol to see if the tapping knocking noise goes away

I agree with bilzcat forget the Lucas, it won't do a thing for you except perhaps create more cold start up noise.

Since your fighting a tick I'd suggest you try the Maxlife, it's thinner than the Castrol and thin is your friend when it comes to ticks. But the Maxlife was not very quiet in my 4.0, YMMV.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.