WJ or WK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ or WK

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sserg25 View Post
I loved the v6. I was just wondering if the v8 was the extra cash and lower mpg. Thanks for the info guys
He's giving you a hard time because the WJ has an I6 (straight 6) and not a V6. The V6 started in in the WK model Grand Cherokee.

briandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

I am surprised no one has pointed out no WJ came with a V6. I-6's only.

Must be folks had typo-brain f@rts. I have them frequently too.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

LOL I was there but didn't say it outright. If you are thinking a 6cyl is enough then definitely go with the WJ.. That I6 was in production for that long for a reason. Darn good motor. I heard that the only reason Chrysler discontinued it was because the machinery used to make it was shot. It was massive and old and it was much cheaper for them to use an engine from their other lineups. The only thing they did to it to ruin it was put crappy aluminum pistons on there that are prone to crack. Use an oil with ZDP (I think that is what it is called) and you won't have an issue. I also hear Rotella T5 is a wise choice because it is technically a long block. My mother in law saw almost 300 k with her 97 Cherokee with the same block before she sold it.
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

If you don't have plans for crazy off roading adventures and you want the technology upgrades that the WK has then get that. I prefer the 4.7L or the 5.7L, the 3.7L is a dog. If you're going to get a WJ, you're used to what the I6 offers so you know what you're getting there. As far the WJ, I'd like a V8 personally.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
wickedwj99
1999 WJ 

I have had both wj and wk and I went back to wj cause to me it felt better and plus it is. Cheaper to work on and get a lift for it. Rough country makes a spacer lift for the wk but it is steel, superlift and a few others make lifts but they cost a lot of money.
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
sserg25

Sorry guys I usually say inline 6 instead of v6. I was posting from my phone.
sserg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
sserg25

Pics of my old WJ
gc-2.jpg  
003.jpg

gc-1.jpg

gc-3.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

4.7 HO is worth every single penny, In my opinion. I went from 6 cylinder to 4.7 HO! BIGGER IS BETTER =) the engine is a lot quieter and much more powerful! Gas consumption is about the same, for highway driving.
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
sserg25

4.7 it is!
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
bigredhawkeye
WJ'ing

2000 WJ 

You're posting on a WJ board, so you have to assume the majority of us are going to say get a WJ.

Pick up a nice WJ with a 4.7, and you will be very happy. Much more affordable to lift, and more durable with the solid front axle.

WJ Expedition Build Thread

My Travel Thread
bigredhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #26
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredhawkeye
You're posting on a WJ board, so you have to assume the majority of us are going to say get a WJ.

Pick up a nice WJ with a 4.7, and you will be very happy. Much more affordable to lift, and more durable with the solid front axle.
But then you have an XJ guy like me with a non biased opinion saying get the WJ
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
Olese
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sserg25 View Post
Hello board, I'm looking to purchase a Jeep in the near future. I plan to lift it and put bigger tire on it. I used to own a stock 2000 WJ V6, and I traded it in years ago. The only thing I hated about the WJ was the brakes. I haven't had a chance to drive the WK, I was wondering if it performed better than the WJ.
In my opinion the WJ is the last real 4X4 of the Grands (straight axles). I also think that the WK is the ugliest Grand made (the ZJ, WJ, and WK2 are all better looking). 4.7 all the way and yes, the HO is worth it (forged steal crank, floating wrist pins, domed pistons with increased compression ratio, modified combustion chambers, modified intake manifold, bigger cams, higher flow rate injectors blah blah blah...). Put a larger diameter throttle body, K&N CIA, larger Borla (or similar) exhaust, and a Superchip in performance mode and they are impressive!!!

As far as the brakes go, if you get an early WJ do the Akebono swap for sure and then on any WJ add SS brake lines and EBC 7000 greens. These last two things really help out with a firm pedal. When I put bigger tires and steel wheels (lots more rotating mass), that's when I noticed my brakes sucking but these things will add new life to stopping power.

The WK rides nicer and handles better on the street and you can get a Hemi, that's about all that I can say about the WK (the Hemi screams, wish it wasn't such a pain to stuff into a WJ!).

It would be funny to see this thread in the WK forum and read the responses
Olese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #28
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Haha! Olese's right someone should post the same question in the WK section and give us the link, lol
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #29
sserg25

Bigred you're right about the bias opinions. I was leaning toward another WJ, I just wanted some opinions since I haven't had the chance to drive a WK.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
LOL I was there but didn't say it outright. If you are thinking a 6cyl is enough then definitely go with the WJ.. That I6 was in production for that long for a reason. Darn good motor. I heard that the only reason Chrysler discontinued it was because the machinery used to make it was shot. It was massive and old and it was much cheaper for them to use an engine from their other lineups. The only thing they did to it to ruin it was put crappy aluminum pistons on there that are prone to crack. Use an oil with ZDP (I think that is what it is called) and you won't have an issue. I also hear Rotella T5 is a wise choice because it is technically a long block. My mother in law saw almost 300 k with her 97 Cherokee with the same block before she sold it.
I saw a little more than 435,000 before my engine went in my '91 Cherokee Laredo.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.