WJ Wandering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Wandering

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 05-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

WJ Wandering

My Jeep has been wandering for years and now I have decided enough is enough. I just installed poly bushings in the track bar and now I can feel the Jeep go side to side in the wheel. I have replaced every bushing in the Jeep recently and she still wanders. What can I do to fix this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using JeepForum

Unread 05-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

From your signature, you have a 4" lift. Your caster is likely far from factory spec. Low caster will cause flighty steering or a wandering feel. That could be one main cause, assuming your bushings are otherwise in good condition as you suggest.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

So I should adjust the front control arms more or do I need to upgrade to long arms?

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0dgeRam1500 View Post
So I should adjust the front control arms more or do I need to upgrade to long arms?

Long arms will not help wandering caused by low caster. You can only increase your caster so much before you start to induce driveline vibrations created by poor pinion angle. You could start by shortening your uppers a full turn or 1.5 turns and see if the wandering gets any better. Hopefully it does, and hopefully your ujoints are still happy.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
jeep04
2004 WJ 

I went through this same thing a few months back and as skain said it was the caster that needed adjusted. Took a few times of adjusting it to find that spot where it didn't wander and didn't cause vibrations.... According to the last time it was adjusted it was 4.0° and that pretty much eliminated the wander might try 4.5° next... Good luck
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

I'm experiencing the same. It's very annoying. I need to get some IRO adjustable LCA's to increase my caster since my IRO adjustable UCA's are bottomed out and only at OEM length.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have RC lower non adjustable arms in the front. I hope I don't have to replace them. I'm getting sick of throwing my money away on the Jeep.
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

A guy at work said it looks like my ball joints are shot. I'm thinking that this might be my problem as I have replaced almost everything else. I will have one of my buddies take a look before I drop any money on it. I am also going to take a look at my caster early next week.
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I have RC lower non adjustable arms in the front. I hope I don't have to replace them. I'm getting sick of throwing my money away on the Jeep.
If the RC arms were for 4" of lift they should be the correct length. If you haven't checked the rubber bushings in the rear UCA (A arm) I would check them.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
A guy at work said it looks like my ball joints are shot. I'm thinking that this might be my problem as I have replaced almost everything else. I will have one of my buddies take a look before I drop any money on it. I am also going to take a look at my caster early next week.
Unless all four of your balljoints were shot, I highly doubt you would experience wander of the sort you are describing over a course of years. Plus, you would likely have had other symptoms associated with worn bj's as well. Report back after you get her up on the lift and after you get your caster measurement. Good luck.

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

The caster was adjusted to 0 and the Jeep seems to be driving fine. I will test it more once this tropical storm is out of the area.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
namtrah
2004 WJ 

Wj Same issues I believe

I've slowly noticed over the last couple years that I get a wobble in the rear, wandering. Jeep continues to want to go left or right when changing lanes and feels out of whack when you correct direction. At first, believed it to be shocks, I was wrong. So wasted a couple hundred or so on new shocks to basically replace new shocks, grrrr. Then I crawled around under the WJ looking for worn parts. Researched the crap out of this issue. Now I find that it is very common. I wanted to wait until I can pony up the cash for a good lift and all new bushings with the kit as well as control arms. Money is tight, so now I am looking at getting just the bushings in the control arms. Also thinking I might as well tackle ball joints. I use my Jeep and go down some extremely rough roads/trails. So I am not too surprised that some things can be worn out. I'll also have to consider a good alignment afterward. Hoping things improve after the replacements.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.