WJ transmission slips around corners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ transmission slips around corners

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
J33pWJ
2000 WJ 

WJ transmission slips around corners

Hello,

New to the forum and new to Jeeps. I have a 2000 WJ 4.7 Quadradrive with 105k miles that I bought a few weeks ago, so far I love it!

Anyway, I have noticed the transmission slips only when I drive around long right bends - the exits coming off the autobahn (I live in Germany). My speed is around 40mph / 2-3k rpm and when I accelerate during the bend the revs don't react (or they drop and I lose drive), after 2 seconds the transmission 'clunks' into gear and all is normal again as I exit onto a straight road.

Left bends, left/right in city traffic or straight line and it shifts perfectly.

I checked the transmission fluid when warm in neutral and park and the level is right in the middle between hot and cold. The fluid looks fresh (cherry red) and doesn't smell burnt or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

J33pWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
skiebuster
2004 WJ 

possible that the clip holding the bands in place in the back of transmission has broken and causing problems

its like a c clip sort of.

would have to pull the transfer case off and back of trans to see if its broken.
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Possibly cracked sump filter.
Unread 03-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

This could very well be a case of low fluid. When you turn to the right all the fluid in the pan is pushed to the left side. If there is not enough fluid in the pan to feed the pick up you will get slipping. Check your fluid as directed by the dipstick/owners manual..
03CUSEWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

I meant to add that it doesnt take much for this to happen, top it off. Be sure to be on level ground.
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
J33pWJ
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the tips, will top off the fluid and see if it helps.

Would the wrong fluid cause this kind of problem? (I'm topping it up with ATF +4 but have no proof of what is in there at the moment although it looks fresh).
Unread 03-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

More than likely thats what is in there. Have you ever changed fluid/filter? Could be a malfunction with the filter as others have suggested. If fluid level does help I would pull the pan to have a look.
Unread 03-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Just had the same issue with mine, which I figured was due to low fluid. Sure enough upon inspection I found I was down about a quart of transmission fluid. Topped it off so that the fluid comes to the top hash mark on the dipstick when hot and in park and all is well. My tranny has 242,000 miles on it!

Something to consider, maybe add a little fluid and see if it improves.
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

I am assuming that the fluid level was the issue?...
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
J33pWJ
2000 WJ 

Sorry for the late reply, I topped up 1 liter and the problem does seem to have disappeared, was driving the car all day yesterday. I am well happy!

Next move is to find someone to convert it to run on LPG, I want to use the WJ as my DD and fuel is a serious expense over here in Europe
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

Im glad to hear this. I hope your conversion goes well! I have friends and family in Denmark and they tell me 9-10 us per gal.. I would look at converting, too!
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03CUSEWJ
Im glad to hear this. I hope your conversion goes well! I have friends and family in Denmark and they tell me 9-10 us per gal.. I would look at converting, too!
In Norway we Are at 10-11$ a gallon
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

Thomahawk, thats the price you pay for beauty, I guess.. ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.