Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WJ transmission slips around corners

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  03CUSEWJ 
#1 ·
Hello,

New to the forum and new to Jeeps. I have a 2000 WJ 4.7 Quadradrive with 105k miles that I bought a few weeks ago, so far I love it!

Anyway, I have noticed the transmission slips only when I drive around long right bends - the exits coming off the autobahn (I live in Germany). My speed is around 40mph / 2-3k rpm and when I accelerate during the bend the revs don't react (or they drop and I lose drive), after 2 seconds the transmission 'clunks' into gear and all is normal again as I exit onto a straight road.

Left bends, left/right in city traffic or straight line and it shifts perfectly.

I checked the transmission fluid when warm in neutral and park and the level is right in the middle between hot and cold. The fluid looks fresh (cherry red) and doesn't smell burnt or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

#4 ·
This could very well be a case of low fluid. When you turn to the right all the fluid in the pan is pushed to the left side. If there is not enough fluid in the pan to feed the pick up you will get slipping. Check your fluid as directed by the dipstick/owners manual..

#8 ·
Just had the same issue with mine, which I figured was due to low fluid. Sure enough upon inspection I found I was down about a quart of transmission fluid. Topped it off so that the fluid comes to the top hash mark on the dipstick when hot and in park and all is well. My tranny has 242,000 miles on it!

Something to consider, maybe add a little fluid and see if it improves.

#10 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I topped up 1 liter and the problem does seem to have disappeared, was driving the car all day yesterday. I am well happy!

Next move is to find someone to convert it to run on LPG, I want to use the WJ as my DD and fuel is a serious expense over here in Europe

#12 ·
03CUSEWJ said:
Im glad to hear this. I hope your conversion goes well! I have friends and family in Denmark and they tell me 9-10 us per gal.. I would look at converting, too!
In Norway we Are at 10-11$ a gallon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.