WJ Transmission Slipping after Radiator Work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Transmission Slipping after Radiator Work

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
micben
2001 WJ 

WJ Transmission Slipping after Radiator Work

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0. My Radiator was leaking and I took it to a shop and they removed the entire radiator, replaced the radiator tank (which is what was leaking), flushed the entire system, and replaced a couple of hoses. No more leak.

BUT- since then my transmission is slipping between 1-2, and 2-3, mostly. Also, it seems a little sluggish. I tried to check my transmission fluid level - couldn't really get an accurate reading, but put in about 1/2 quart of fluid. After about a day or 2 it seemed to be slipping a little less, but still slipping and still a little sluggish (I changed fluid and filter about a year ago.)

Any suggestions??

micben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Fluid level, trans coolerin radiator, you might lost 1qt when radiator was out,

check accurate, refill, recheck, repeat, post back here, Good luck.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
js12278
1999 WJ 

What do you mean you "couldn't get an accurate reading"??? Check the fluid and make sure it is full. You find yourself paying the bill for a baked tranny you will be sure to get it checked accurately. I would not have left the shop without getting an accurate reading on the dipstick. It could be lower than a quart. Some "techs" just let it drain while they do their work and estimate how much leaked down. Run the engine, shift it through the gears with foot on brake. Put it back in PARK, get under the hood and pull the dipstick, wipe it off, stick in there and pull it back out and read it ACCURATELY. Top off fluid as needed.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:36 AM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12278
What do you mean you "couldn't get an accurate reading"??? Check the fluid and make sure it is full. You find yourself paying the bill for a baked tranny you will be sure to get it checked accurately. I would not have left the shop without getting an accurate reading on the dipstick. It could be lower than a quart. Some "techs" just let it drain while they do their work and estimate how much leaked down. Run the engine, shift it through the gears with foot on brake. Put it back in PARK, get under the hood and pull the dipstick, wipe it off, stick in there and pull it back out and read it ACCURATELY. Top off fluid as needed.
For the 42 trans it needs to be in neutral.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

The reason the dipstick has 'markings' on it is so that you CAN fill to the proper and accurate level. Some times I spend 15 or 20 minutes getting the correct amount of fluid in the trans. Only pour a small bit in at a time, as you DO NOT WANT TO OVERFILL! With engine running, shift through all the gears, then leave it in neutral. Pull dipstick and wipe it dry. Insert dipstick, and keep wiping it dry until you get an accurate reading on the bottom, so you are seeing the actual level of fluid. If you add fluid, repeat the process. If you overfill, you will have to either drain or suction out the excess amount of fluid. That is why you only add a small bit at a time.

As mentioned, overfill or underfill could result in you buying a new transmission. This is not the windshield reservoir, that you are just pouring a random amout of fluid into.
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.