WJ Transmission Shifting Weird - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Siggers
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 63
Question WJ Transmission Shifting Weird

Hi Guys,

First post on here, but not the first for jeeps in general, I live in Australia, currently own a 2002 Overland.

I only got the rig a few days ago, and it was going fairly well.

However now when driving on the highway, it seems to drop down a gear randomly, and it appears to be slipping when in overdrive, eventually (especially when on cruise control) it won't go into overdrive at all.

It is also clunking a little around town, on a down shift, and the throttle isn't even depressed any more then the few seconds before it, it feels like your coasting along and you randomly put the gearbox into a lower gear for no reason resulting in a clunk and a jolt of the car.

It throws a P0700 code, I don't have a scanner and Auto shops here don't "lend" them really either, $200 for a scanner from the auto shop here.

From what I can read, on this forum and others, it sounds like a input/output speed sensor, and I want to make sure I am on the right track here, at $150 each from a local parts shop or $90 each on ebay.

As I have only owned the car a few days, I want to have an idea of what may be wrong before letting the original owner know whats happening. And go from there.

Thanks

Siggers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Kulhu
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ARLINGTON
Posts: 57
Try a local parts store to get a free code read. In merica, the local O'Reillys and Autozone will check the obd for free. Also, do you have the 5 speed flash?
Kulhu is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Mp5ben
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 932
Looking at FSM, the P0700 code comes up as
EATX Controller DTC Present :This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX or Aisin
controller has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a
CCD (EATX) or SCI (Aisin) message. The specific fault must
be acquired from the EATX via CCD or from the Aisin via
ISO-9141.

No idea, what that means..
Mp5ben is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 07:56 PM
pinky2252s
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Broomfield
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5ben View Post
Looking at FSM, the P0700 code comes up as
EATX Controller DTC Present :This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX or Aisin
controller has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a
CCD (EATX) or SCI (Aisin) message. The specific fault must
be acquired from the EATX via CCD or from the Aisin via
ISO-9141.

No idea, what that means..

P0700 is a generic transmission code. It is basically a code to say that you need to read the actual codes. You need more than just a basic scanner to read transmission specific codes. OP, go to a mechanic near you and see if they will read the codes for you, if you can't find someone to let you use it at a store.

Most likely a bad speed sensor, TPS, low/bad fluid or old filters. Hopefully it isnt something bigger. The code will tell you.

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 PM
rdkendrick
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,139
G'day SIGGERS, for future reference, try the wjjeeps.com site. LOTS of good information on there. Here is the fault code page and it tells you how to get the codes without using a scanner. We call it the "key dance." http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm Good luck and welcome to the JF! Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 PM
pinky2252s
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Broomfield
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
G'day SIGGERS, for future reference, try the wjjeeps.com site. LOTS of good information on there. Here is the fault code page and it tells you how to get the codes without using a scanner. We call it the "key dance." http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm Good luck and welcome to the JF! Sent from my iPad using electrons
If he is getting a P0700, then thats all he will get. The key dance doesn't give you transmission or ABS codes.

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 PM
rdkendrick
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
If he is getting a P0700, then thats all he will get. The key dance doesn't give you transmission or ABS codes.
I am aware of that, just letting him know he doesn't need a scanner just to read regular codes, but he can buy one if he wants.
Savvy? :-)

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 PM
pinky2252s
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Broomfield
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
I am aware of that, just letting him know he doesn't need a scanner just to read regular codes, but he can buy one if he wants.
Savvy? :-)

Sent from my iPad using electrons
I kind of assumed he did the key dance because he said the exact code he is getting, and then right after said he doesnt have access to a scan tool.

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM
rdkendrick
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
I kind of assumed he did the key dance because he said the exact code he is getting, and then right after said he doesnt have access to a scan tool.
Yeah, I wasn't sure either and I hate to assume, so this was a "just in case."

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Siggers
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 63
Thanks for all the replies, yep, know that website and the key dance, appreciate the thorough replies however.

Ill see what I can do about the reader, I may just have to fork out for the scanner, as its driving me a bit crazy.

I guess I was more hoping of someone with a very similar situation and they followed certain steps to get it rectified.

The owner before me had only just change the fluid in the tranny and the level is pretty much perfect.

At this stage I am unsure if he changed filters in it or not.
Siggers is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Siggers
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 63
I should also mention that no check engine (MIL) light comes on.
Siggers is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 PM
pinky2252s
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Broomfield
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggers View Post
I should also mention that no check engine (MIL) light comes on.
Then how did you know to check for codes? When my P0700 came on, the check engine light came on.

If the check engine light isn't coming on, then I would start with replacing the speed sensors. They rarely throw a code, and are a normal issue. Normally, if it is a specific solenoid within the transmission, it will throw that solenoid specific code. Low level, bad TPS, and bad speed sensors wont throw a code. But they seem to have the greatest effect on how the transmission shifts.


Some very high end scanners will let you see pending codes. Pending codes are codes that havent yet justified throwing a full code, but are close. If a shop around you has one, I would highly suggest asking them to scan it for you.

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM
rdkendrick
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggers View Post
Thanks for all the replies, yep, know that website and the key dance, appreciate the thorough replies however. Ill see what I can do about the reader, I may just have to fork out for the scanner, as its driving me a bit crazy. I guess I was more hoping of someone with a very similar situation and they followed certain steps to get it rectified. The owner before me had only just change the fluid in the tranny and the level is pretty much perfect. At this stage I am unsure if he changed filters in it or not.
Can't hurt to change the filters if you don't know if the PO did or didn't. That way, at least you know the filter is seated correctly into the O-ring correctly. If that doesn't do it, go for the speed sensors. It's hard to know what to do without a more specific code.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Siggers
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Then how did you know to check for codes? When my P0700 came on, the check engine light came on.

If the check engine light isn't coming on, then I would start with replacing the speed sensors. They rarely throw a code, and are a normal issue. Normally, if it is a specific solenoid within the transmission, it will throw that solenoid specific code. Low level, bad TPS, and bad speed sensors wont through a code. But they seem to have the greatest effect on how the transmission shifts.


Some very high end scanners will let you see pending codes. Pending codes are codes that havent yet justified throwing a full code, but are close. If a shop around you has one, I would highly suggest asking them to scan it for you.
How did I know, clearly without it shifting correctly something was wrong.

I have tested the TPS with a multimeter, and the speed sensors, the TPS went through its motions without issue even with some tapping on the case. The speed sensors both showed a .516 (ish) ohm resistance, when hit with a magnet, they both changed, however they were slightly different, but was quite small. This doesn't really mean anything of course, as they may be faulty none the less.

The scanner I can get my hands on is an Actron CP9576 if anyone has had any dealings with this make/model.

I have cleared the codes, taken it for a drive, the problem shows it self, no MIL, check codes and P0700 is listed. I am leaning toward the sensors, as no MIL light, which if illuminated would probably be something a bit more serious.

I must also ad, when it drops out of overdrive and won't go back in, simply turning the car on and off again even whilst moving alows it to try to get back into O/D.
Siggers is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 03-14-2014, 06:17 PM
juanWJ
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21
I had similar symptoms with the shifting and also the po700, however I was also getting po320 and having a hard time starting. That led me to replacing the crank position sensor. That cleared everything up and also got rid of the po700 code.
juanWJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome