WJ Transmission Rattling / Buzzing Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Transmission Rattling / Buzzing Noise

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
El George
2000 WJ 

Wj WJ Transmission Rattling / Buzzing Noise

I'm going to take the Jeep to a transmission shop but I wanted to know your expert opinion first.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4.7L
545RFE transmission
QuadraDrive
~190k miles

Here is the story:

I changed the transmission fluid and filters October last year.
4000 miles later (beginning March) I parked the Jeep on the left side of the garage because of a front differential bearing issue (needed to save money to afford the repairs)
I've been turning the engine on every other week to keep the battery charged.
3 months later (2 weeks ago) I moved the Jeep to the right side of the garage to make some room.
Last Friday I moved the Jeep back to the left side of the garage and is when I noticed the rattling/buzzing noise coming from under the Jeep.
I crawled under the Jeep and it seems the noise is coming out of the transmission housing bell.
The noise last about 3 minutes then is gone.
Gears shift smoothly Park-Reverse-Drive back and forth no jumping no noise.
I took the Jeep to the local car wash (6 miles round trip) and no shifting issues or any lack of power. In fact, if you press the gas pedal you can feel how the Jeep immediately takes off.

What do you guys think?

By the way, do you guys know any good transmission shop in the Denver area.

Here is the link to the video. Noise starts by 0:10 and stops by 2:55

http://youtu.be/pV-4k3BVnNs

Thanks,
George

El George is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
BillyGoatBluff
2003 WJ 

Mine does this too, same noise, Selec-track tho. It only lasts for 1 to 2 seconds right when shifted into reverse and stops. Weird noise, doesn't seem to affect anything, just a weird noise. Anyone have any ideas?
BillyGoatBluff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
MadderThanMax

I'd use the search engine on hear, I'm pretty sure this has been covered and the answer was solonoids?? I think...
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
BillyGoatBluff
2003 WJ 

I've never actually searched anything for this issue because like I said it doesn't really affect anything, it's just a weird noise. Maybe I'll look into it if it's a simple fix
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
BillyGoatBluff
2003 WJ 

So ya a quick search turns out it's normal for me, 1 to 2 seconds of buzzing. OP's might need new solenoids however? Haha no idea.
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Terminal
2000 WJ 

I'm gonna give you an old tried and true infamous quote from the stealership:

"Your transmission needs to be rebuilt, price will be $4600 even."
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
narnwv

2000 WJ 

1-2 seconds is normal. ALL Chrysler transmissions do it with a little age. It's the shift solenoid. 3 minutes is WAY too long to hear it though.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.