WJ Transmission Cooler and Line Routing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Transmission Cooler and Line Routing

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Cool, thanks for the pictures! The more you know.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Ripper600
2003 WJ 

Replaced leaking hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
You are welcome guys. If you have any questions, post them up!!
Alright kid07, I have a 03 WJ and the cooler is in the radiator for mine, the only thing that confuses me is that the line that has that bulky adapter (or bottom line under the oil pan) goes to the bottom of my cooler. Then flows upward then back down to return to the transmission. Does that make sense? Wouldn't that create a lot of unnecessary pressure to push fluid up?

And finally if i but the tow bumper on, should i go aftermarket cooler anyways?

Thanks!
Ripper600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I believe it flows upward so it does not all drain out when you park the Jeep, in conjunction with the check valve. If there was no back flow preventer, the check valve, all the fluid would run back and would have to refill the cooler every time you start the Jeep.

If you are going to be doing any towing or want to keep your transmission cooler, (which can never hurt to keep it running cooler), I definitely recommend a cooler.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
You are welcome guys. If you have any questions, post them up!!
First of all, thanks for posting this. I have a few question though. My 2002 4.0L is a bit different in that it has the transmission lines going to the drivers side of the radiator (cooler built into radiator). From what I've read on this thread, the trans fluid comes from the trans to the bottom of the rad/cooler to the top of the rad/cooler then back to the trans.
Is this correct?
If this is correct then the only trans line I will splice my cooler into would be the one WITHOUT that check valve on it?
Also, could someone post pics of any "test ports" on the transmission in order to hook up a trans temp gauge?
Just want to be sure, since I have very limited time to work on my Jeep.
Thanks dudes.
WJ02FNG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

If you follow the same procedure you should be pretty good to go. You can check the flow the same way as I did by putting it in N for a half second and seeing where fluid comes out. Make sure you have a quart or two of transmission fluid to fill it up when you are done.

As for routing the lines and flow, it should all be in the first post.

I don't have a temperature gauge for the transmission fluid.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #21
Queequeg1
2004 WJ 

I just did the same thing .. but ran the hoses on the passenger side ... much more room over there!!!
Queequeg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #22
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg1 View Post
I just did the same thing .. but ran the hoses on the passenger side ... much more room over there!!!
Dude, post pics! We all want to see how you did it.
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I just installed mine. Thanks for the tips Michael. I routed mine a bit different (Transmission --> Aux Cooler --> Factory Cooler --> Transmission). Here's my write up in my build thread with a bunch of pictures if anyone is interested: WJ Transmission Oil Cooler Install
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I have a 2003 Overland. I could be wrong, or my memory is flawed, but I could swear that I have a transmission cooler on my Jeep already. With the fan shroud and the skid plate in the way, it's hard to get a good look, but I wasn't looking for it the other day. I was checking for a freon leak, but I remember seeing a skinny, silver/aluminum, cooler in front of my condensor, which is in front of my radiator. I have the tow package. I will have to go outside and take another look, maybe take pictures, but I could swear that is the way it is set up. I did not check to see where the lines go, like I said, I was looking for something else.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Take some pictures and post them and we'll help you out! There are multiple variations of transmission cooler locations and even factory auxiliary coolers on the WJ's

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

No, I was wrong. What I thought was a transmission cooler is a power steering/hydraulic cooler. I can see one line coming from the PS pump and the other line going into the steering box. I had my work clothes on, so I didn't slide under the car,. I assume my transmission lines go into the bottom of the radiator.
The PS cooler is about the third of the size of the condenser and sits, attached to the upper passenger side of the condenser, in front.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

This is what the factory power steering cooler looked like...
kgrhqf-rce-rmghkkpbp8i-uyikq-60_57.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

That is for the 4.0

I canabalized the hydraulic fan and PS Pump cooler from a 02 WJ with the 4.7

The transcooler is on the passanger side tank on the radiator. So it goes fan, rad, condensor and infront of that biased
toward the drive side is the Power steering cooler.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
That is for the 4.0

I canabalized the hydraulic fan and PS Pump cooler from a 02 WJ with the 4.7

The transcooler is on the passanger side tank on the radiator. So it goes fan, rad, condensor and infront of that biased
toward the drive side is the Power steering cooler.
The picture I posted above is the factory Power Steering Cooler on the 4.7's.

The Factory Aux Trans cooler on the 4.7 is on the passanger side and the factory power steering cooler is on the driver's side.

The picture below is the stock aux cooler setup on a loaded out 4.7.
forumrunner_20120523_171917.jpg

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #30
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Its too confusing saying it should be this or that. They changed over the years.

As an example my 04 Laredo with the 4.7 has no aux trans cooler and the top 1/3 of the AC condenser is the powersteering cooler.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cooling , radiator , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.