WJ Trans Limp mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Trans Limp mode

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
ChrisJan
2004 WJ 

Wj WJ Trans Limp mode

Hi Guys this is my first post in the forum ,, and unfortunately its not something good,, i have a 2003 4.7 wj grand. its doing something very strange. on startup shes fine, but drive about 30km and the trans goes into limp mode were shes stuck in 2, 0r when in drive 3rd gear. but if i switch her off and parked off for about 10mins and i startup and go shes 100% . ive replaced speed and press sensors and the prob still the same. i dont know if its temp related.? the box has new clutches in. and now sensors aswell. the code that pops up in limp mode is p0700 (drbii to be plugged in) but it goes off when i pull off again and comes on when limp mode comes back. the oil has i light silver shine after the clutches were done and i assume (hope) they put new filters in. the trans has i very small leak.. more a seeping through than leak. i know my crank sensor is on the way out as well, ive ordered a new one in the meantime.. any ideas of what could cause such a fault ? oh and it started after i went up a serious mud climb one afternoon and had i good spin trying to get out the top of the climb. could the oil overheat and fail ? the trans overtemp light never came on ?

please if anyone could post some advice i would appreciate it.

ive been reading sites nonstop and ive found only that it might be solinoid pack or temp related or even a cracked valve body. dont know if the filter might be faulty

ChrisJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Welcome!

Since you mentioned the fluid looked a bit off, I would start with a fluid drain and fill as well as changing the filters. The v8 has an in pan filter as well as a spin on filter. Be sure to replace both and use only ATF+4 fluid. A quick Google search told me where you lived: South Africa. That fluid might be a bit hard to come by there.. Not too sure.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
ChrisJan
2004 WJ 

we can only get atf+4 from the jeep agents but at a price ofcoars . ill def do that and see if anything has changed. thank you for the quick reply
Unread 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJan View Post
we can only get atf+4 from the jeep agents but at a price ofcoars . ill def do that and see if anything has changed. thank you for the quick reply
Check this link out too. Very helpful site.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundblad View Post
Welcome!

Since you mentioned the fluid looked a bit off, I would start with a fluid drain and fill as well as changing the filters. The v8 has an in pan filter as well as a spin on filter. Be sure to replace both and use only ATF+4 fluid. A quick Google search told me where you lived: South Africa. That fluid might be a bit hard to come by there.. Not too sure.
I agree. I'd start by installing two new filters, fresh ATF +4 fluid only, and get the leak sealed up. See what happens then. Apparently Chrysler vehicles are very sensitive to non-specified fluids and/or dirty fluid.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
ChrisJan
2004 WJ 

ive now orderd new fluid and filters.. thinking of adding a aux oil cooler for the trans infront of the rad. i saw something weird today , the dash light had i lite flickering , so i pulled into the garage and held the revs at 2000 and the batt charge indicator wasnt stable at 14V as usual. it was shaky at about 13.5V . could this cauze my trans trouble ? i was driving earlier and it went into limp mode. stopped switched off for 15sec and started her, drove off without a prob. ? very strange
Unread 06-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

It should throw codes if it goes into limp mode. No check engine light? I'd blame the solenoid pack but check the fluid and filters first.
Unread 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
ChrisJan
2004 WJ 

it shows p0700 yes. i also think its solinoids. and i think its a good idea to have the alternator and batt tested
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
ChrisJan
2004 WJ 

just an update.. i did a trans service .. new oil and filters and cleaned the valvebody.. and she is now runnig flawles.. but that said i unfortunatly snapped the diff side cv on the propshaft. for the second time now

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.