WJ temperature gauge acting up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ temperature gauge acting up

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
jrafols

Wj WJ temperature gauge acting up

since last week, my engine temp gauge has been fluctuating from 100 to 210. It makes be believe the a sensor might be loose somewhere because it will read correct for the first 5 minutes when I start the car but after that it goes back down to 100. If I hit a bump on the road the gauge goes up to 210 and then back to 100.

Any ideas?

jrafols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrafols View Post
since last week, my engine temp gauge has been fluctuating from 100 to 210. It makes be believe the a sensor might be loose somewhere because it will read correct for the first 5 minutes when I start the car but after that it goes back down to 100. If I hit a bump on the road the gauge goes up to 210 and then back to 100. Any ideas?
I think it's just a cruddy connector. Did you open the hood and check the connector on the coolant temperature sensor? I believe it is the connector as the sensor would make the gauge rise or fall slowly, because the sensor resistance rises as the heat rises and I don't believe it would just drop or rise, fast.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
jrafols

where is that connector located?
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

The ECT (Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor) is a very basic sensor so the good news is that it will either be the connector having corrosion and getting intermittent signals or a slowly failing sensor. What engine do you have in the WJ?
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
jrafols

Inline 6
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
new2site
2002 WJ 

It's on the right side of your thermostat housing.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.