Wj taillights again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wj taillights again

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
jamesnmandy
2001 WJ 

Wj taillights again

Want to confirm before I order replacement taillights that that is the most likely cause.

New bulbs made no difference.

When lights are on, passenger side tail light is brightly lit. Driver side taillight is like 90% bright lit, slightly less than other side despite new bulbs. Third (high mounted) brake light is very dimly lit. (that should not be).

When I hit brake pedal the passenger taillight stays lit, no brighter, no change, driver taillight goes completely out, and third (high mount) brake light lights up bright (normal for when brake pedal depressed).

I tried checking all the contacts, find no leaks with water or whatever. My Google FU tells me one of the circuit boards in a taillight is worn out, and the quickest path to least resistance is to replace both taillights and move on with life.

Am I missing something? Can't afford to just throw parts at it unless I am reasonably sure it will work.

jamesnmandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there is a circuit board in your tail light. The wires come out of the back and plug into the tail light housing. It's just a plastic case that holds the bulbs.

You've got something else going on there. Did you check the bulbs to make sure that they're good? The brake lights should have two filaments inside.
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
I could be mistaken, but I don't think there is a circuit board in your tail light. The wires come out of the back and plug into the tail light housing. It's just a plastic case that holds the bulbs.

You've got something else going on there. Did you check the bulbs to make sure that they're good? The brake lights should have two filaments inside.
The harness plugs into each tail lamp assembly, once. Each socket in the tail lamp has metal contacts. The bulb assembly also has contacts that line up with the once in the tail lamp. If even one of these contacts on the housing is recessed into the lamp too much, it will cause problems like the OP is having.

OP, check these contacts again in the housing. Pry them all up slightly to ensure good contact with the bulb sockets.
Vaporhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead
The harness plugs into each tail lamp assembly, once. Each socket in the tail lamp has metal contacts. The bulb assembly also has contacts that line up with the once in the tail lamp. If even one of these contacts on the housing is recessed into the lamp too much, it will cause problems like the OP is having. OP, check these contacts again in the housing. Pry them all up slightly to ensure good contact with the bulb sockets.
I would think some steel wool might be good if they are oxidized a little.
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Several threads on this problem. You might be able to bend the contacts up a little and get it to work, but most times the problem returns. (did this to mine and worked for a couple of weeks). I replaced my light assy. I have both sides for sale from parting out my Jeep. $15 each plus shipping.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
palric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead View Post
The harness plugs into each tail lamp assembly, once. Each socket in the tail lamp has metal contacts. The bulb assembly also has contacts that line up with the once in the tail lamp. If even one of these contacts on the housing is recessed into the lamp too much, it will cause problems like the OP is having.

OP, check these contacts again in the housing. Pry them all up slightly to ensure good contact with the bulb sockets.
last spring I had the exact same problem and did exactly as above.

Fixed the problem no problem
palric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Jimbo_IX
2000 WJ 

I chased this same problem around for the longest time. I bent the contacts up and it worked for a short time. Ended up soldering a "bead" over the metal contacts to increase the contact surface. Worked like a charm.
Jimbo_IX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
jamesnmandy
2001 WJ 

Based on other threads and feedback I purchased the circuit boards to replace since my taillight assemblies are fine. That's essentially the functional part which is being replaced when one replaces the entire assembly. If that doesn't fix it I will inspect the contacts on the actual bulb sockets where they contact the circuit boards. By the way the second gen WJ from 1999 thru 2004 all use the same taillight and they all use the same circuit board. OE Part number 55155139AH
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnmandy View Post
Based on other threads and feedback I purchased the circuit boards to replace since my taillight assemblies are fine. That's essentially the functional part which is being replaced when one replaces the entire assembly. If that doesn't fix it I will inspect the contacts on the actual bulb sockets where they contact the circuit boards. By the way the second gen WJ from 1999 thru 2004 all use the same taillight and they all use the same circuit board. OE Part number 55155139AH
This circuit board is inside the tail light housing correct?
Can you replace it without destoying the housing?
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I never could get my socket to connect, hence my tail light would never work and I ended up breaking part of the area where you hold the socket to twist it out. I just bought another one for $39 and said the hell with it. The strip that folds over, when you screw it to the body, was already broken, too.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
mehammered
1999 WJ 

I have tried two replacement units for the rear drivers side, I have break lights when the lights are off. However, when I turn on the head lights my break light on the driver side does not work.
mehammered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Circuit board went bad in mine, I ordered one of off rockauto.com and it solved the problem!
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
jamesnmandy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
This circuit board is inside the tail light housing correct?
Can you replace it without destoying the housing?
Yep sure can. It's held on with four little clips and has a bead of that super sticky black silicone type substance sealing it from weather. When you order that circuit board have a small tube of silicone sealant handy. You will probably have to use a hairdryer to soften up the factory sealant to get the old part off, I did. Then simply replace the board with a new seal, snaps on, done deal. Cost me $35 shipped for two new boards from eBay and they came fast too. They are listed as 03-04 compatibility but 99-04 is all the same exact part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmandubj10 View Post
Circuit board went bad in mine, I ordered one of off rockauto.com and it solved the problem!
Yeah if you look for it there they call it something else, like backing plate for taillight. But it's the same Dorman replacement part.

Last edited by jamesnmandy; 10-21-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

It's almost not worth it to take the time to deal with it. Just get new ones and you will be done forever. They are like $40 apiece on amazon
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just ordered two new LED housings from slickcar.com $110.00 for both sides.
Hopefully this will take care of the problem with the bulbs overheating the circuit board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.