WJ Sway Bar Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Sway Bar Issue

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

WJ Sway Bar Issue

Hello All,

I am a long time creeper on this site and finally have my own Jeep! I can say that this site is a fountain of knowledge.

The first thing that was on the upgrade list was some suspension upgrades as my WJ is my daily driver. It is a 2002 Laredo. I contacted Kolak and ordered Mopar Upcountry springs, new isolators, Bilstein HD shocks, Addco front sway bar, Addco rear sway bar with grease bushing and new sway bar links.

I recently moved, and the down side was that I lost my garage and tool access. So, I had to have someone install all of the above. Everything was wonderful, but I noticed that there was a clunk from the front end and found the sway bar link had slid off of the bushing and was clunking around. Has anyone seen this happen before?!

I am going to go take a pic for bette reference. I am also waiting for input directly from Kolak as well seeing as he is a WJ guru. Thanks in advance everyone.

Sconnie_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Here is a photo. The bushing itself looks in good shape. My first inclination is that the links were installed backwards or the bar was not centered.
image.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Also longer bolts were installed and to clarify orientation the end of the bolt is towards the front tire, so the front tire is on the right of the photo.
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Yes, definitely the blot is much longer than necessary. The issue though is you're missing a washer. On the inside there's a washer that prevents the link from slipping off of the bushing. Just took a look at mine to double check (it's original stock) and it is in fact there.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the info and double checking. I was disappointed that the bolt had that excess length. Downfall of having someone else do the install is they are not picky like I would have been. Does anyone have the specifics of what size, length and grade bolt they used when doing the Addco front upgrade?

Last edited by Sconnie_Jeeper; 07-16-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

As I look at the pic, I see a washer on each side of the bushing. How did the link slip past the outside washer? Take a pic of the other end of the bar so we can see how the end link on that side is bolted up. I suspect that one is bolted on wrong as well. I don't think the extra length of the bolts is a problem.
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Cykaaro any chance I can trouble you to snap a pic for reference?
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Rm2001wj: I think the washer is missing, but unfortunately I cannot snap anymore pics. I dropped it off where the parts were installed along with some of my frustration this morning. I believe what you see in the pic is part of the bushing not a washer, but I could be mistaken without being able to crawl under my jeep. I will keep you all posted. If they did leave out washer that would eat up some of the bolt length. You do not think the extra length should cause an issue though?
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
JRobes
2004 WJ 

it looks like the same thing that i accidentally did to mine. Add a washer with a larger outer diameter than the end link's opening that the bushing fits into (on the head side of the bolt) to fix it. The bolt does look like it might be a bit long (1/2" or so) but i don't think it should cause you any issues.
Pearl Black 2004 Overland - OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disco's, JKS Track Bar, IRO Rear Sway Bar Links, Moog TRE's, K&N filter, Audio Aux Input, 10th Anniv. 2013 Rubi Rims, 32.1" BFG KM's, removable rear seat mod
JRobes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the inputs guys, I think it was something simple like the installation was done wrong. I never would have thought somewhere with Jeep on the building could make that mistake, but I guess I may have been wrong on that one.
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Got my answer as you guys guessed, the tech installed the washers in the wrong spot. Thankfully no real damage was done.

Thanks to everyone who posted and Kolak who helped by email.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Glad it was an easy fix and you got it done.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.