wj sunroof problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wj sunroof problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

wj sunroof problems

tried to use my sunroof today.. tilts up fine but will not go all the way back. i played with it and eventually got it to go all the way back, the motor seemed to be very sluggish while moving the glass back. when i tried to close it again it went foward, stopped and went backwards and stayed open. eventually had to pull it shut by hand while pressing the button to close it. anyone have ideas what the issue could be? loose connection or bad fuse maybe?

wjgiants39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Here comes the next "blend door" of the WJ. I'm in the same boat. The motorized carrier is often cracked or partially seperated from the part that slides due to debris, friction that increases as a result and then it breaks.

Headliner has to come down, sunroof assembly replaced. Dealer only item and there's no schematic of the assembly in the Service Manual.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

great i was hoping for something that was an easy fix haha
wjgiants39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
n8man1068
2003 WJ 

Dang, I'm in the same boat. It'll go up just fine, but not back. It seems like the drivers side portion will start to move, but the passenger side doesn't and hangs.

Depending on the cost, i'm not sure I'd care to have it replaced.
03 WJ IRO 3" lift, DT8000 shocks, Addco swaybars, JKS quick disconnects, IRO xfer skid, IRO adc control arms, Rola roof rack, Uniden 510xl+firestick 2, K&N drop in filter, Cragar soft 8's, Hankook Dynapro ATM/RF10tires
n8man1068 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

I have a broken tab on mine...... if I hold the black plastic piece down while it is closing it opens and closes fine.... if not it starts to jam and the motor struggles. Mine has been like this for about a year and I still use it all the time....

It's pretty easy to keep it from jamming and isn't that much of an inconvenience.... I just live with it cause I love my sunroof

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
WJ 2WD-->4WD Conversion Build Thread
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
nassin2
2005 WK 

You might try putting a little white fishing reel grease on the tracks. That helped mine when it got a little sluggish.
Black WK Club Member #11
nassin2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
corvettekid82
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwolcot View Post
I have a broken tab on mine...... if I hold the black plastic piece down while it is closing it opens and closes fine.... if not it starts to jam and the motor struggles. Mine has been like this for about a year and I still use it all the time....

It's pretty easy to keep it from jamming and isn't that much of an inconvenience.... I just live with it cause I love my sunroof
Had that issue on mine as well, the 'air foil' would get in the way... so I just removed it. Works great since then

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.