WJ spark plug change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ spark plug change

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-18-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
oilcounter

WJ spark plug change

Tomorrow I am going to change out my sparks for the 1st time. I have read all the posts in this forum that I could find for info.

btw - I'm using Champion truck plugs with the copper tips.

I'm nervous but excited about this project. Does anyone have any advice to hand out? Or warnings of things I should avoid during this..

Rob

Metallic Taupe Jeep Club Member #15
oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
ojingalena

Before you install the new plugs make sure they are the correct ones and be sure they are "gapped" accordingly. Not all new plugs are the correct gap for your application. Check your owners manual for proper gap, or usually on the hood or inside the engine compartment on the emsissions tag.

Make sure no debris is around the plugs before you remove the old ones. Compressed air wooks well. OR a hair dryer to blow away debris.

Do not cross thread the plugs. Use your fingers to make sure they are threaded correctly. Do not over tighten the plugs.

Inspect the plugs for wear and proper firing. They should look used. Not oily, sooty, bent, damaged, fused, etc..

Pull the wires off one at a time by the boots, not the actual wire. (Label if needed)

Make sure the wires are reconnected all the way. You should hear a little snap or feel a slight click.

An old plug wire makes an excellect tool for hard to reach plugs.

Have a beer when finished..

HTH,
Jim

Mine: 95 ZJ 5.2 Quadratrac Char Gold Laredo, Tow Package, K&N FIPK, Kolak Mopar ECU, CatSound, AT50 Muffler, 2" TeraFlex BB, Bilstein 5100's, 265/70-15 110S Dueler AT Revo's. It's a start..more to come
Wifes: 99 WJ 4.0 Laredo pretty much stock....for now.
Mine: 06 KJ Renegade
ojingalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
BostonBull
2004 WJ 

Make sure when you take your coil rail off that you dont bend/break the wire attached to it at the end near the fire wall. I usually leave it attached and bend the rail out of the way of the plugs. Use some dielectric grease on end of boots and anti sieze around threads. You dont have any wires so it shouldnt take anymore than a half hour!

[SIZE=3][FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=red][B] 81[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
BostonBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
oilcounter

when I gap the new sparks ( i have a gap tool), do I just use the tool to widen the gap? How accurate do I have to be here? I think I have the gap correct, but didn't know if it was an exact science here or not..

Thanks for the tips. I'll report back on my pending success

R
Unread 02-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Precisely

Usually quite a few (if not all) plugs these days come pre-gapped...so the gap will already be pretty close to what you need...if not dead-on.

Just slip the right gap [of the tool] between the electrodes and you should feel just a bit of friction as you slip the tool in and slide it back out.

If it's too tight and the tool can barely slip in I gently rock the tool up and down to open the gap a bit more and try sliding the tool in and out again....be gentle, it's easy to open the gap too much.

There's no science to it.

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Stocker

How goes the project? If you need it, here's a site with torque specs and other basic info... http://www.nology.com/torque.html
Unread 02-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Scottsdale Jack

A good way to start the new plug in the thread is to slip a piece of fuel line or similar hose over the top tip of the new spark plug. That way when you slide it down the hole you can start the plug in the thread by hand and have a good "feel" for the task. When the plug starts in the thread then you can just give a little tug and the hose will slip off the plug and then you can torque it in.
Scottsdale Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
oilcounter

I have finished changing the spark plugs. I really enjoyed myself. I am a complete novice when it comes to stuff like this. What a confindence builder..

Everything went smooth.. It was a little tough to get the sparks out from the very back one. Good thing I have small hands.. That boot got in my way a little but I managed nicely.

I encourage anyone who hasn't changed their spark plugs to go ahead and give it a try. It much easier that the instructions let on.

I did notice the old sparks (original w/jeep - currently 70K miles) Most of them were pretty crusty with grayish charing.. one plug was more dark than the others. I dont know if this is typical or not, but I'm glad I changed them]

A HUGE thank you to everyone who offered advice for me!!

Until my next project... (any suggestions )

Rob
Unread 06-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
rrose3000

I just finished changing out the spark plugs on my 2000 Jeep WJ 4.0L after reading all the forums on here. The recommended plugs on here vary but the consensus was that the engine is designed around Champion plugs and also NGK ZFR5N plugs which came stock in my Jeep. The sticker under the front hood says to use Champion RC12ECC plugs. I decided to buy the Champion #7034 which forum members are saying is a better plug then the RC12ECC. The engine seems to run good so far on these but when I go to the Champion cross reference it doesn't show the Champion RC12ECC is equivalent to the Chanpion #7034's double platnum plug which I installed. So now I'm left wondering if I put in the correct plug? Can someone comment on this and let me know that there not going to ruin my engine, I haven't drove it yet, I have only started the engine and it sounds good so far.......
rrose3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Not sure how you're using the cross reference on the Champion site but if you're comparing the RC12ECC (SKU) to the 7034 (Item/plug #) it may be confusing the site the way Champion has it organized. If you enter your 2000 4.0 WJ in the site it recommends the 438 (RC12ECC, nickel), the 3034 (PCPEC5, single platinum), and the 7034 (RCPEPB5, double platinum) as can be found below.

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/Ch...ive-c1343.aspx

Click on the "+" sign above the 7034 double platinum and it states, "This part exceeds the OE standards". So you'll be fine and I've seen others on the WJ forum say this is the plug they recommend.

When I changed the plugs on my 2004 4.7 last fall I just used the OE standard Champions (nickle w/copper core). Kind of a force of habit since on my ZJ many here say to just use the standard Champion copper plugs.

Not sure how this 9 year old WJ plug thread from 2005 ended up/stayed on the ZJ forum to begin with?? May be why you aren't getting a whole lot of input from ZJ owners. Lol and good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Thread of the undead. lol

ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I was just getting ready to post myself.I'm the worlds worst about looking at the dates.
Unread 06-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Back then, the ZJ and the WJ were a combined section.

(add old man voice: "and we liked it...up hill both ways, in the snow)

It split apart like in 2006 or sometime around then.
(add Walter Cronkite voice: "and that's the way it was").

Damn I'm getting old.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post

Damn I'm getting old.
Ahhh yes, those were the days....

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post

Damn I'm getting old.
Ahh.. that explain it, in they were combined, thanks! I'm sure I'm old enough since remember Walter well but just wasn't here...

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.