WJ spares for the next ten years? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
BDW
2004 WJ 

Wj WJ spares for the next ten years?

Some of the recent threads about sourcing parts have got me thinking. I've got a ton of time and money spent restoring the WJ, and I want to get ten good years out of it. With that in mind, what spare parts should I accumulate that may be N/A further down the line? I don't think engine parts or seals and bearings etc. will become issues in that time frame, but what about items that are unique to the WJ and could leave it disabled. I'm thinking of a spare PCM, front axle shafts...

What else? Thanks for your thoughts.

04 WJ 4.0/NP242, 3" OME, Bilsteins, 255/75/17 & JKR wheels, 44A, 4.56, ARB lockers, & more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Squarecat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

WJ spares for the next ten years?

Are you in North America? Can't think of anything that would leave a WJ completely dead in the water in the next decade.

I also have a '93 XJ and can't think of anything that is required to keep it running that I haven't get off the shelf still. Now trim pieces (ext & int) and other assorted bits are another thing, but I still can pick up most of that from a PnP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM
new2site
2002 WJ 

Drivers seat bracket frame (and passengers if you have passengers a lot)...there are aftermarket's "now" but..... Not available from Jeep anymore (not that you'd want to pay their price if they were) ....or of course you can have broken area's welded like I just did. You mentioned a lot of time.....you could have known weak spots reinforced/welded now to prevent future breakage.. video on youtube showing known breaking points.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 01:16 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Spares......
low milage trans from a wrecked partout.
OEM fuel filter
Good used Power Steering pump
Good used hydro fan assembly
Front driver door module
Front passenger door module with the remotes.
Spare SKIM with ignition key and Lock
Spare OEM prebent brake lines. (3 total)
Good power front seats with working motors. The covers can be ripped. It's just for having the motors.

I'm sure I'll think of more. Craig's List is a good place to start the quest. Get parts only from wrecks that are being parted out. Not junkyard stuff unless it's obvious why the WJ is in the junkyard.

Getting this spare parts list will all but guarantee you'll never use them. The above list is what I have plus a few more. It took a while to come up with them. Parting out Grammys wrecked 04 Limited did help. But 70% of that list I had before hand.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 01:28 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Also get a FSM. Hard copy or PDF or both
post #6 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 03:18 PM
detroitrust
2002 WJ 

If you have the room, just start a car barn of several complete used WJ's.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Sunroof assembly. They're going to be a hot item in a few years as all the ones in use now are sitting in the roofs of our WJs and deteriorating from heat, lack of lubrication and routine use.
All the ones out there now make up the existing and future population as no one is reproducing them.

Also not easy to get to and impossible to repair so there will be shops out there looking for them and then charging big coin to swap them.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #8 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 08:15 AM
Squarecat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

WJ spares for the next ten years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E
so there will be shops out there looking for them and then charging big coin to swap them.

I mean if someone wants to stockpile parts, gambling on future value, that's their prerogative. But let's look at objective reality: even people who do this for their own use often end up on forums and Craigslist begging people to take that stuff away.

Pretty sure things like sunroofs just won't get fixed like every other non-essential feature on every other old vehicle on the road. Consider how many non-functional rear window wipers, sagging headliners, the like you see.

I'm not trying to start an argument but I won't deny trying to state a rational case against needless hoarding. (And there's better investments if you're looking to make a few bucks in 10 years time...)

post #9 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Oh I wasn't thinking about trying to profit from finding & hoarding those parts, far from it. Just saying what will be a certain scarce item and will need repair.

I second the idea that most folks will opt to leave stuff unfixed but a smaller percentage of folks that come here will.
Wipers their motors and headliners are easy, plentiful to locate and not truly necessary to fix.

Now sunroof not closing after it breaks...that's a "fix it in the permanently closed position" ...or fix it right and get a working assembly situation, no question.

Good point that most would probably sell the vehicle or wreck it before that stockpile of spare parts for it are used up.

post #10 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Squarecat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I hear you.

As it pertains to where WJ owners will be in a decade, I can only speak from experience with my '93 XJ, for which I do have a box of parts that can only be salvaged (mostly window and door wear parts and trim and electric switches—stuff I've already replaced at least once in one location of the Jeep.)

Curious to see which, if any, relatively later model Jeeps gain a restomod aftermarket like CJs and such.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 01:54 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you plan on keeping your WJ 10 more years you should at the minimum get the metal prebent brake lines from the dealer before they get discontinued.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

^Good one!
Some of our other salt-use WJ owners should chime in for stuff like that!

post #13 of 14 Old 08-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Having previously owned a semi-limited production vehicle, SRT4 Neon, I've already experienced the joys of discontinued parts.

The 'big ticket' items, like axles, engines, brakes, bearings, etc. will likely always be readily available. You can also add items that are shared across multiple platforms to that list, such as interior switches, some sensors, etc. It's the smaller and WJ specific items that will be difficult to find.

A few things I can think of right now, especially once the availability of clean donor vehicles starts to dry up:

Hard lines- Brake, fuel and emissions
Auto dim side view mirrors
Auto climate control head units/HVAC controls
Any Overland specific parts
Any Freedom Edition specific parts
Door panels
Exterior trim- such as the little plastic strips between the windshield and the roof rails.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 10:23 PM
detroitrust
2002 WJ 

Unhappy

This is a bit disconcerting. Almost like planning the death of a loved one or worse, losing your dog. Like figthing cancer for years and fnally succumbing to the ravages of the disease. Not sure I have energy to fight the good fight.

These Jeeps (WJ) need constant attention with every passing mile. God lordy, just the comment about the sunroof... **** both of mine just broke and I haven't gotten aroung to checking into it. Just thinking I need to replace them is bull****. Just add it to the list of things I do for my three wjs.

Planning to accrue parts on speculation of need is just too far. Now I have to consider parts not availble for repairs? Replacement parts are what this this thrives on! Mine are on a donor waiting list... always a pending repair or preventative maintenance project. Its reality, I know it's the reality but I don't have to like it. Uggh...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.