WJ sounds like a tractor when starting. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ sounds like a tractor when starting.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

Wj WJ sounds like a tractor when starting.

Started my WJ and all was well until it started choking and just stalled out. I have not been able to keep it running since because it just knocks and clunks and just dies. There is a fresh smell of gas in the engine bay after i try to start it but no leaks.. I drained the oil to see if i could find metal shavings but all looked well. Sounds almost like theres a midget in there with a sledge hammer going at it in my black. Could some one please help me solve this problem i miss my jeep.

Main problems: WJ cranks and turns over but you need to push the gas pedal all the way down to even start it and to keep it running. It clunks and knocks very loud that it scares me to even keep it running thinking it will blow up in my face. Idle bounces 200- 2500 and just chokes out. need help please.. Thanks!

iwheelinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Not good....
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

pulled the back driver side plug and it seems as if something closed the gap to the spark plug. Any advice to what that could mean?
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Your piston hit it. Maybe a thrown rod.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

Anyway i would be able to figure out the damage caused and what exactly is the problem?
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Yeah man, I'm gonna say you'll have to rebuild the engine... Hopefully your block isn't damaged. You'll have to pull the heads and see exactly what is wrong. If I were you, I'd scrap the engine and drop a different one in it.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

There doesnt seem to be any chunks missing from the block or any leaks. If it does end up being blown what would be the cheapest way to go about it?
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

You won't know until it's been properly diagnosed. I think the first step should he finding out all of what's wrong. If you know a good mechanic or you're capable of the work yourself, I'd tear the engine down.
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
milresq
2002 WJ 

Wj A tractor!!!

Case, John Deere, Kubota,Massey-Ferguson,New Holland, Oliver. What is it man, fill us in. Details, details, details.

2002 WJOE Stocker
milresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

Well my dad use to work on cars when he was a kid and knows a good bit and confident we can at least diagnose it. Im of course going to be helping him because i myself enjoy working on my jeep with my father so i think it will be a good learning experience for the both of us. Is there any rebuild threads on the forum or any where else? I appreciate the help guys very helpful. ill keep you guys updated with questions if you dont mind. we're the do it at home mechanics, my choice mostly.
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Personally, my first step would be pulling the motor since its looking like you're going to be rebuilding it anyways, but you can always work on it in the vehicle. You're gonna need to pull the intake manifold off, the valve covers, and then remove the heads. Send them to a shop and have them checked. Look at pistons and Rods, check for play and obvious wear. If one is gone, I'd suggest replacing all of them. If your cylinder is scratched or anything from a faulty piston, you might need to send the block to a machine shop and have it bored, requiring you to buy oversized pistons/rings. New bearings all around would be a good suggestion, and check your valves is your piston went all the way up to the spark plug. Then it's a matter of just buttoning it all back together and putting some oil and coolant in it.
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Sounds like the engine ran hot at some point and it dropped a valve seat. That or a rocker arm fell off but from the description...I'd say valve seat dropped.

Bore scope is what I'd be doing right now to assess the internal damage. Harbor Freight has one for cheap but may not be the best built tool in the world.

If nothing else, run a little pick up tool magnet into the sparkplug hole and see what sticks.

Continuing to run it is only going to promote those chunks of metal and what remains of the piston digging into the cylinder walls and bending valves to break/drop point.

Reading pleasure:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/m...seats-1507696/

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/jeeps/33...p-carnage.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-7-v8-1112272/

There will be no shavings, just big chunks.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

It did get a tic past 210 but i had never seen it get any hotter than that. Just saw my poor baby on a tow truck going to the shop to get bore scoped.. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Hopefully its just a loose piston but i highly doubt it would be that simple with my luck everything in there is torn up but who knows. Any advice on grooms engine or jaspers?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.