WJ Rot / Rust Traps ? / Door Rubbers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Rot / Rust Traps ? / Door Rubbers

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
Phantom_Mark
2003 WJ 

Wj WJ Rot / Rust Traps ? / Door Rubbers

Where are the known rot traps or points where the WJ starts to rust out please ?

Just asking so I can take preventative measures ?

I noticed a couple of the door/window gulley rubbers are looking like they are bubbling under the rubber skin, can these still be sourced new ? maybe a good time to replace the door and window seals as well ?

Thanks

Phantom_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #2
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Sills (you say rockers for reason best known to you!), front and rear of rear wings (fenders!) in the door shut areas, anywhere under the floor....above the tc and tranny seem particularly prone to the old golden body lightener. Ive seen a couple with the front edge of the roof and bonnet (hood!) suffering with tin worm but this may have been from leaving chips and damage untreated. Best way to stop it???? Import a Euro spec body shell from Europe which were fully galvanised from new and transfer everything frtom your car to the new shell! That might be a bit expensive so you might prefer to paint the entire underside of your Jeep with rust stopping paint, flood your sills with waxoil (or whatever the US equvalent is) and make sure you keep on top of stone chip and trail damage repairs. The rear arches rot out from the inside and short of drilling holes from the rear to treat it there is not a lot you can do about it except repair it when it happens.
Unread 06-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Phantom_Mark
2003 WJ 

I am UK as well Sills, Wings works well for me thanks

So that means my shell should be Galvanised then yer ? Any places on our shells which are any worse or better now they have been Galvanised ?

Thanks again
Phantom_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_Mark View Post
I am UK as well Sills, Wings works well for me thanks

So that means my shell should be Galvanised then yer ? Any places on our shells which are any worse or better now they have been Galvanised ?

Thanks again
Yep. All Austria built WJ (WG to be technically correct) models are galvanised. The clue usually is a stone chip on the bonnet that just stays silver (unless you chip right through the zinc too!). Other than that its the same shell. Only prob is that most replacement panels used after accidents are not galvanised so if you have rusting wings etc then is probably had a prang at some point in its life. Ive heard that some early petrol engines WG models are NOT galvanised but never seen that proved.

BTW galvanising does not mean they are rust proof, just better protected. My friend CRD had seroius rust underneath as a result of serious off roading have bashed the crap out of the underside and scraped off any protection and zinc that might once of been there. I have a few tiny pin pricks of rust under mine but you have to look for them and its still very rust free for a 115,000 mile ten year old Jeep!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.