Wj rear wheel bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wj rear wheel bearing

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Wj rear wheel bearing

I'm doing my drivers rear wheel bearing right now and after cutting the old ones off and pressing the new ones on, the backing plate seems to be really loose. It won't stay centered on the axle so when I try to slide the axle back in, the 4 studs for the plate won't go in the holes. There seems to be at least a half inch of space from the backing plate and axle seal to the bearings. Did I not get it pressed on all the way?

Brandonsdad02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Anyone?
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
3JsWJ
2003 WJ 

The bearing gets pressed on until it bottoms out on the shaft. You should be able to see this. Not letting the plate studs reach the holes would mean it is on too far, which is impossible. A pic here would really help.
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JsWJ
The bearing gets pressed on until it bottoms out on the shaft. You should be able to see this. Not letting the plate studs reach the holes would mean it is on too far, which is impossible. A pic here would really help.
The plate studs won't reach because the spacer in front on the bearing wont let the shaft go in far enough because its not pressed on enough. I brought the axle shaft to work with me and I'm going to use our 30 ton press to finish the job. I simply just didn't get it pressed on far enough
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Well I tried today at work to get it pressed on and i couldn't do it. I took it to a machine shop where they work on farm equipment. He said with a little heat it should go on the rest of the way. Anyone else ever had to use heat to get the bearing pressed on?
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonsdad02 View Post
Well I tried today at work to get it pressed on and i couldn't do it. I took it to a machine shop where they work on farm equipment. He said with a little heat it should go on the rest of the way. Anyone else ever had to use heat to get the bearing pressed on?
I have heard of the opposite, freezing the shaft and then pressing the bearing on to make it easier.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s

I have heard of the opposite, freezing the shaft and then pressing the bearing on to make it easier.
Heat the bearing and it will slide on easier.

Tossed onto the interwebs via iPhone
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s

That's the problem, it's already pressed on most of the way, just needs to go about a half inch more
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I always put mine on by hand...no press. Have done three as one of the new ones was faulty. Just use the old collar as a drift and bash it on with a few good hits of a good size lump hammer. Easy. The last one I did with no heat or cold as I was in a hurry and it was not that much more difficult to drive on.
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #10
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia
I always put mine on by hand...no press. Have done three as one of the new ones was faulty. Just use the old collar as a drift and bash it on with a few good hits of a good size lump hammer. Easy. The last one I did with no heat or cold as I was in a hurry and it was not that much more difficult to drive on.
Will heating it ruin the bearing?
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

We are not talking blow torch here! I put the bearing in the oven at 200c for 20mins and the shaft in the freezer for an hour. Dropped the bearing on and it only took half a dozen taps with the hammer and drift to seat it. Obviously I repacked the bearing with grease before shaft went back in axle.
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
We are not talking blow torch here! I put the bearing in the oven at 200c for 20mins and the shaft in the freezer for an hour. Dropped the bearing on and it only took half a dozen taps with the hammer and drift to seat it. Obviously I repacked the bearing with grease before shaft went back in axle.
That's cool Did you put the retainer ring on right away? or refreeze, then do the retainer separately?
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Makes sense. Honestly I was thinking of some guy in a shop blasting the bearing with a blow torch...

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Just got it back from the machine shop. It ended up being seated on all the way. My mistake was not taking the rotor off so I could line up the backing plate. Once the rotor was off, it was easy to do. Learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.