JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Wj rear wheel bearing (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/wj-rear-wheel-bearing-1526137/)

Brandonsdad02 05-20-2013 09:45 PM

Wj rear wheel bearing

I'm doing my drivers rear wheel bearing right now and after cutting the old ones off and pressing the new ones on, the backing plate seems to be really loose. It won't stay centered on the axle so when I try to slide the axle back in, the 4 studs for the plate won't go in the holes. There seems to be at least a half inch of space from the backing plate and axle seal to the bearings. Did I not get it pressed on all the way?

Brandonsdad02 05-21-2013 07:12 AM

Anyone?

3JsWJ 05-21-2013 07:20 AM

The bearing gets pressed on until it bottoms out on the shaft. You should be able to see this. Not letting the plate studs reach the holes would mean it is on too far, which is impossible. A pic here would really help.

Brandonsdad02 05-21-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3JsWJ
The bearing gets pressed on until it bottoms out on the shaft. You should be able to see this. Not letting the plate studs reach the holes would mean it is on too far, which is impossible. A pic here would really help.

The plate studs won't reach because the spacer in front on the bearing wont let the shaft go in far enough because its not pressed on enough. I brought the axle shaft to work with me and I'm going to use our 30 ton press to finish the job. I simply just didn't get it pressed on far enough

Brandonsdad02 05-21-2013 07:52 PM

Well I tried today at work to get it pressed on and i couldn't do it. I took it to a machine shop where they work on farm equipment. He said with a little heat it should go on the rest of the way. Anyone else ever had to use heat to get the bearing pressed on?

pinky2252s 05-21-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonsdad02 (Post 15463712)
Well I tried today at work to get it pressed on and i couldn't do it. I took it to a machine shop where they work on farm equipment. He said with a little heat it should go on the rest of the way. Anyone else ever had to use heat to get the bearing pressed on?

I have heard of the opposite, freezing the shaft and then pressing the bearing on to make it easier.

WiLieR 05-21-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinky2252s

I have heard of the opposite, freezing the shaft and then pressing the bearing on to make it easier.

Heat the bearing and it will slide on easier.

Tossed onto the interwebs via iPhone

Brandonsdad02 05-21-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinky2252s

That's the problem, it's already pressed on most of the way, just needs to go about a half inch more

alfaitalia 05-22-2013 12:56 AM

I always put mine on by hand...no press. Have done three as one of the new ones was faulty. Just use the old collar as a drift and bash it on with a few good hits of a good size lump hammer. Easy. The last one I did with no heat or cold as I was in a hurry and it was not that much more difficult to drive on.

Brandonsdad02 05-22-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaitalia
I always put mine on by hand...no press. Have done three as one of the new ones was faulty. Just use the old collar as a drift and bash it on with a few good hits of a good size lump hammer. Easy. The last one I did with no heat or cold as I was in a hurry and it was not that much more difficult to drive on.

Will heating it ruin the bearing?

alfaitalia 05-22-2013 03:58 PM

We are not talking blow torch here! I put the bearing in the oven at 200c for 20mins and the shaft in the freezer for an hour. Dropped the bearing on and it only took half a dozen taps with the hammer and drift to seat it. Obviously I repacked the bearing with grease before shaft went back in axle.

Galaxie500LTD 05-22-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaitalia (Post 15467523)
We are not talking blow torch here! I put the bearing in the oven at 200c for 20mins and the shaft in the freezer for an hour. Dropped the bearing on and it only took half a dozen taps with the hammer and drift to seat it. Obviously I repacked the bearing with grease before shaft went back in axle.

That's cool :thumbsup: Did you put the retainer ring on right away? or refreeze, then do the retainer separately?

pinky2252s 05-22-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaitalia (Post 15467523)

Makes sense. :highfive: Honestly I was thinking of some guy in a shop blasting the bearing with a blow torch...

Brandonsdad02 05-22-2013 08:34 PM

Just got it back from the machine shop. It ended up being seated on all the way. My mistake was not taking the rotor off so I could line up the backing plate. Once the rotor was off, it was easy to do. Learn something new everyday.

The time now is 03:32 AM.