WJ Rear sway bar upgrade - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Rear sway bar upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
sprocket1200
2001 WJ 

installed our on 2001 4.0 and loved the performance improvement. it tightened the handling right up and introduced some oversteer which I am ok with. if it was for the wife only, I wouldn't do it as she would spin herself right into the ditch!

sprocket1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
Any thicker/stiffer sway bar will limit off road ability while connected, however you can simply unbolt them and tie them up out of the way to disconnect them and then your WJ will flex like Arnold at a strong-man competition. You can also purchase commercially made quick disconnects which make it a simple pin pull to disconnect rather than unbolting. Personally I don't mind spending five minutes disconnecting rather than spending (what I believe to be) too much money on those.

My Addco does not rub on the cover at all. That is only an issue if you have a larger cover I thought. And the only times I've heard of it ripping out stock mounts was when incorrect link length was used.

Also why not just disconnect offroad? (Not trying to pick on you, genuinely asking) Of the time spent on road, my Addco makes a ton of difference, but offroad I agree it limits flex a ton, which is why I just unbolt the links from the bar before getting on the trail.
Unbolting links is not something a person that spends a lot of time offroad would want to do. You can simply use JKS discos on the back as well as the front. I adapted a set of JKS discos to the back the day I installed my Addco bar. Now after 3 years of extensive trail use I just disconnect the drivers side. That lets the rear flex enough to coil bind on the stuffed side and an unseated coil on the drooped side.

About the mounting area cracks.....Link length has a small effect as the link lever moves either side of horizontal, but even if the lever starts out in it's optimum position the 1" addco bar is so stiff it will flex the thin tin in the mount area before it twists very much in torsion. If you use it offroad the Addco bar will lift a wheel in twistys or when one wheel runs over a decent sized rock. That stress the heck out of the link mount area no matter the link lengths.

So if a person mainly drives on pavement it can take a long time for the tin to fatigue and crack. But if you have to repeatedly over an uneven area of pavement or if you drive even mild trails any length link will flex the thin tin the mount is bolted to till it metal fatigues and cracks all the way around the mount. To prevent the cracks I welded on an angle iron stiffener so the stress is spread, many people just use a backing plate to spread the stress..
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I don't like the way mine flops with the rear disco'd.
The stock one helps keep that in check off road, and doesn't limit flex enough to bother me.. yet.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
I don't like the way mine flops with the rear disco'd.
The simple cure for that problem is just disconnect one side, zero flopping that way. Also with one side discoed you will get as much or more flex with an Addco bar as the OEM bar connected. Having said that IF I had it to do over I wouldn't buy an Addco rear bar, it is to stiff to work well on pavement even with my solid front bar. It tends to lift the weight off the inside rear wheel when you power out of a turn. I think a bar for the rear of a WJ shouldn't be any larger than the OEM bar if the front bar is the hollow bar and only about 1/8" larger if the Jeep has the solid front bar.
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I mean the way the body wants to flop on off camber
I've seen 40 deg on my incline meter, and it still felt stable with rear bar and front disco'd.
With the rear off, the body flops to the side too easy for my tastes.
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #21
BLKWJLTD
2001 WJ 

I was thinking about going with an upgraded rear sway bar. I have the RC 4" lift it comes with the blocks to lower the sway bar to correct the length will that work with the 1" addco swat bar? I dont see why it wouldn't but just making sure.
BLKWJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWJLTD View Post
I was thinking about going with an upgraded rear sway bar. I have the RC 4" lift it comes with the blocks to lower the sway bar to correct the length will that work with the 1" addco swat bar? I dont see why it wouldn't but just making sure.
I tossed those blocks and got the correct length links.
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
I have the same kit and am using the blocks too. I thought I would try just swapping the bushings on the stock bar and it really helped. Best part was that it only cost me $18.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Some food for thought. In a perfect world....The links or links and spacer should be at least long enough for the link and lever to form a 90 degree angle. Where that ends up varies with lift amount.

The catch is..... that may limit droop. If you give it some thought droop is the sum of the length of the lever and link. It's really not quite that because the sway bar will hit the lower coil bucket before it is fully vertical. So bottom line, an extra 1" of link length is an extra inch of droop.

Even that has a catch, the bar is mounted low, so if you lengthen the links to the point the bar is hanging down below horizontal with the ground and below the axle tube the lever ends and links will end up dragging through the rocks. So I have my links set so the levers are horizontal with the ground.
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
scparrish
1999 WJ 

I really like the addco rear sway bar the jeep is in on pavement almost always and it's the wife's ride so street manners were a priority and it certainly made a difference.
scparrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.