WJ Rear sway bar upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Rear sway bar upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-04-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
chuma_1

WJ Rear sway bar upgrade

Hi All,

I am thinking about upgrading my rear sway bar to the ADDCO heavy duty bar. I am told this removes a lot of body roll and movement and improves handling.

Has anyone else in this forum done this? What were the results?

Cheers

Chuma

2000 WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo.

chuma_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 08:17 PM   #2
Bob K

The write-up sounds really good. http://www.wjjeeps.com/swaybars.htm
I'm very interested. But $235 is a lot of money for a piece of bent metal. I'll be curious to hear first hand accounts.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
SteveinDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K
The write-up sounds really good. http://www.wjjeeps.com/swaybars.htm
I'm very interested. But $235 is a lot of money for a piece of bent metal. I'll be curious to hear first hand accounts.
Since when did it go to $235? Got mine for $125 from kolak on JU. While the Addco rear sway improves performance on road, (one of the better mods i've spent money on) it will dampen performance offroad, it unhook mine while off. It is a worth while investment...that is all
SteveinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
Bob K

I got that price off of Addco's website. Please tell me more about where you ordered yours. You feel the on-road improvement is as good as they claim?
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
AntZ57
2001 WJ 

I have a 4in lift on my 01 WJ and I want to upgrade the front and rear sway bars would I have to get new links as well? Also does anyone have any suggestions on what brand to go with?
AntZ57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^yes endlinks length will need to be correct for your lift to keep the endlink swaybar working angle correct.

And YES!!!! It reduces bodyroll and highway stability, at stock height it cornered as a sportscar, with the 2" lift, it was also impressive handling curves
I think the rear one makes the most difference, as That bouncy *** needs to be controled.
Highly recomended mod!

Always Get my parts from santa Kolak
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuma_1 View Post
Hi All,

I am thinking about upgrading my rear sway bar to the ADDCO heavy duty bar. I am told this removes a lot of body roll and movement and improves handling.

Has anyone else in this forum done this? What were the results?

Cheers

Chuma

2000 WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo.
Your front bar may look big but from 1999 to late 2003 the front bars were hollow. It is not a good idea to have a rear bar as strong as your front bar, it messes up weight transfer when cornering.

So for other than 2004 WJs to get the best handling you should upgrade your front bar first. You can either buy Addco's solid front bar or buy a 2004 WJ bar that is also a solid front bar from a wrecking yard. The 04 bar is about 1/16" smaller than an ADDCO bar but it is forged so it is likely very close to Addco bar in stiffness. For our friends across the pond, all the export WJs with diesel engines have a different part number, I believe they have solid bars but can not confirm that.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
jmahle67

I was having major rear end sway while braking and the addco bar majorly improved that. A definite upgrade. I would check price on amazon too
jmahle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Tried it, dumped it, went back to stock. They bang and rattle over every bump. Also, some people have actually torn the mount and cracked the unibody frame from using the bar. Too bad your not in southern ontario canada, I would give you the bar for free.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

I've got about 50K miles on both front and rear Addco swaybars. A dramatic improvement over the stock coat hanger ones. Some good shocks will help too.
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Kolak
Vendor

Send me a PM if you'd like information about the Addcos. I've been an Addco dealer for their Jeep products for over 15 years and would be happy to answer technical questions and I have good pricing too.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Definately check your front bar; doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which bar is installed.
If it's the hollow one, the solid or Addco front bar makes the most difference

Also be aware you need spacers on the rear Addco or it will rub on the cover.

If mine spent all the time on the pavement I would add the rear, but it most definately limits flex and has been known to rip out the stock mounts offroad.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Does the addco/2004 front sway bar limit off road ability. And does anyone else have good things to say about upgrading the front?
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldry
Does the addco/2004 front sway bar limit off road ability. And does anyone else have good things to say about upgrading the front?
Any thicker/stiffer sway bar will limit off road ability while connected, however you can simply unbolt them and tie them up out of the way to disconnect them and then your WJ will flex like Arnold at a strong-man competition. You can also purchase commercially made quick disconnects which make it a simple pin pull to disconnect rather than unbolting. Personally I don't mind spending five minutes disconnecting rather than spending (what I believe to be) too much money on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Definately check your front bar; doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which bar is installed.
If it's the hollow one, the solid or Addco front bar makes the most difference

Also be aware you need spacers on the rear Addco or it will rub on the cover.

If mine spent all the time on the pavement I would add the rear, but it most definately limits flex and has been known to rip out the stock mounts offroad.
My Addco does not rub on the cover at all. That is only an issue if you have a larger cover I thought. And the only times I've heard of it ripping out stock mounts was when incorrect link length was used.

Also why not just disconnect offroad? (Not trying to pick on you, genuinely asking) Of the time spent on road, my Addco makes a ton of difference, but offroad I agree it limits flex a ton, which is why I just unbolt the links from the bar before getting on the trail.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Ok I just remembered the front you can get quick disconnects so forget about the off road question. But does it still help on road?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.