WJ rear coil springs - How strong and resistible they are to heavy load? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ rear coil springs - How strong and resistible they are to heavy load?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-29-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
SBrudzinsky

Question WJ rear coil springs - How strong and resistible they are to heavy load?

Hi everyone!
I need your thoughts on this.
I'm planning to buy some new home appliances and most likely will transport them one by one in my cargo compartment. Some appliances are relatively heavy (refrigerator, oven, and so on..). Is there any way that I can privent rear-end sagging that I assumed can occur afterwards? Or Jeep's rear coil springs are strong enough to resist heavy load up to allowable/recommended by manufacturer maximum load weight? Any ideas? Any experience with?

Thank you!

Last edited by SBrudzinsky; 10-29-2003 at 12:42 PM..
SBrudzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I really don't think that a refrigerator will fit yet, I wouldn't put something that heavy back there.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
RED01TJ

You have nothing to worry about. I towed a a 5000 pound trailer from Alaska to the midwest, the jeep barely sagged with the weight

2003 WJ 2.5" Anthonys BB, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, Qaudradrive, the rest still in the planning stage
RED01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2003, 11:03 AM   #4
SBrudzinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
... I wouldn't put something that heavy back there. ...
Why not? Are there any specific reasons?
The refrigerator has about ~360 - 400 lbs. net weight. Is that too much for cargo compartment load?
Just curious ...
Unread 10-30-2003, 11:08 AM   #5
RED01TJ

If you can get it to fit, in the back. Your payload max is 1000 lbs(cargo and pass)

2003 WJ 2.5" Anthonys BB, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, Qaudradrive, the rest still in the planning stage
RED01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I've had a dishwasher and washing machine at two different occasions. If the refrig. will fit, the jeep can handle it. The only thing to watch is if you are at max capacity, take it easy on corners, accelerations, and decelerations and your jeep will be okay. Definitly no off roading with the refrig. in the back and you will be fine.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I was thinking of like a 21 cubic ft frig. If you can fit it back there, go for it.

Of course, I had a huge generator, two coolers, and towed a 15 ft camper to gse. Yeah, the springs will take it.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
SBrudzinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED01TJ
.... Your payload max is 1000 lbs(cargo and pass)
Yes, I know that and this part is a bit confusing. The certification label attached to the driver's side door pillar says that GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is about 5,450lbs and Rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) is 2,950lbs, and the manual says "load weight should not exceed the GVWR and F/R GAWR.
If load weight should not exceed the GVWR does that mean that I can load vehicle more than recommended "max. Payload"?
So, what's the correlation between "payload" and “GVWR”?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.