Wj Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wj Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 10-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
sn95guy
2004 WJ 

Wj Problem

ok i have a 04 wj limited with the 4.7 in it. In the last few weeks its been sounding like water under the dash, i have been busy with work so have not checked into it, my wife called me the other day, said check engine light came on, and said #8 cylinder missfire. Well, i just got home, checked coolant, its a lil low, gonna top it off, but i had topped it off about 2 months ago on our road trip. Oil looks fine, no antifreeze in it. I am gonna take to dealer monday as we have 800 miles left on warrenty. It will prob be void since i did a lift on the jeep with bigger tires though. Anyone got any ideas or common problems? I know these are known for head gaskets, anything else?

sn95guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Heater core, check if pass side floor carpet Are wet, might just be air in your system as well.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
sn95guy
2004 WJ 

floor is dry
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
RussFromJersey
2004 WJ 

Hmmm... I'm getting something similar though isntead of water, its more like air sound... like a slow air brake on a tractor trailer

Interesting to read about heater core. I noticed in the summer time I'd get a wet spot on the passenger floor mat... but that only happened with the A/C going, a passenger actually complained of water dripping down on their feet. Not running the A/C resulted in no water seeping. Any ideas?
RussFromJersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussFromJersey View Post
Hmmm... I'm getting something similar though isntead of water, its more like air sound... like a slow air brake on a tractor trailer

Interesting to read about heater core. I noticed in the summer time I'd get a wet spot on the passenger floor mat... but that only happened with the A/C going, a passenger actually complained of water dripping down on their feet. Not running the A/C resulted in no water seeping. Any ideas?
That would be a clogged ac drain

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
sn95guy
2004 WJ 

the dealer has the jeep right now, trying to say its a spark plug bad(270$ to fix) and air in the coolant.. total bs i already bled the system last night, its burning coolant somewhere, i have 800 miles left on the engine warranty. I am making them do pressure test to see if the head gasket is leaking. This dealer is a total joke, but while under warranty they will continue to work on it..
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95guy
the dealer has the jeep right now, trying to say its a spark plug bad(270$ to fix) and air in the coolant.. total bs i already bled the system last night, its burning coolant somewhere, i have 800 miles left on the engine warranty. I am making them do pressure test to see if the head gasket is leaking. This dealer is a total joke, but while under warranty they will continue to work on it..
Hahahahaha 270 bucks?! What a rip off... You can do that yourself for 12... One of the easiest things to do on a jeep..

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires
Fellows45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
sn95guy
2004 WJ 

just got a call from dealer, head gasket is leaking, they have to call me back to see if its under warranty, since i added tires and a lift
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95guy
just got a call from dealer, head gasket is leaking, they have to call me back to see if its under warranty, since i added tires and a lift
That's bull if they say it's not under warrenty...

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires
Fellows45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

That sucks big time! Fwiw in a wj, a leaking heater core won't always produce a wet carpet. It's rubber lined on the bottom so if the coolant is leaking behind the carpet you won't know unless you pull the carpet back.
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95guy View Post
I don't see how tires and a lift would cause a head gasket to break. Completely different system.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.