WJ Preformance Inline 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Preformance Inline 6

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
LAJeepGC

WJ Preformance Inline 6

OK, I have just really started playing with my WJ. I had a 79 CJ-7 before that I sold a couple of years back, I also had a full size Bronco that I had worked over pretty good. New Jeeps are different so I am open to any good advice on this one.

All in all I like the WJ minus the transmission problem I am having at the moment. I just want more power out of my inline 6 but really don't want to got he route of changing the heads, cam etc. In other words simple easy things to get just a little extra out of it with dumping several paycheck into it. Here is what I am looking at doing. Let me know if anyone has any sugestions or any of these things are a bad idea on this unit.

Exhaust - I have had cat-back system on vehicles as well as just changed mufflers. I have found that changing the muffler produced almost the same results minus about 200 dollars in cost. I was going to change this unit out to a magnaflow.

Intake - From what I have heard "I have not pulled it off to look yet" the throttle body on these Jeeps is plugged up on the inside of the butterfly valve. I was thinking about taking the unit off and going to a good machine shop to have them open it up. I know I could purchase one, but according to my friends the ones they have bought were the stock one machined. Any sugestions of a good shop in BR, LA are welcome.

I am going to take the stock 3.55 gears out and put in 4.11s in the next few days. This one is a bit more expensive but I just feel is necessary. I ordered the parts from WCW in CA. I have bought from them before and always been very happy.

Of course a good tune up plugs & wires. Aside of fluids anything else I should change?

Any other things that anyone know of that they recomend I am open to sugestions.

I almost forgot I have a 2in BB on this Jeep. New treads are comming. This jeep is my daily driver so I have to keep it reasonable. I know that 245/75/16's ie according to BFG 30.6 in tires will fit. Will the 265/75/16's fit as well they are 31.8in. Stock of course is 29.4. I would rather use the larger tire if I am not going to have major problem.

LAJeepGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
oilcounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJeepGC
OK, I have just really started playing with my WJ. I had a 79 CJ-7 before that I sold a couple of years back, I also had a full size Bronco that I had worked over pretty good. New Jeeps are different so I am open to any good advice on this one.

All in all I like the WJ minus the transmission problem I am having at the moment. I just want more power out of my inline 6 but really don't want to got he route of changing the heads, cam etc. In other words simple easy things to get just a little extra out of it with dumping several paycheck into it. Here is what I am looking at doing. Let me know if anyone has any sugestions or any of these things are a bad idea on this unit.

Exhaust - I have had cat-back system on vehicles as well as just changed mufflers. I have found that changing the muffler produced almost the same results minus about 200 dollars in cost. I was going to change this unit out to a magnaflow.

Intake - From what I have heard "I have not pulled it off to look yet" the throttle body on these Jeeps is plugged up on the inside of the butterfly valve. I was thinking about taking the unit off and going to a good machine shop to have them open it up. I know I could purchase one, but according to my friends the ones they have bought were the stock one machined. Any sugestions of a good shop in BR, LA are welcome.

I am going to take the stock 3.55 gears out and put in 4.11s in the next few days. This one is a bit more expensive but I just feel is necessary. I ordered the parts from WCW in CA. I have bought from them before and always been very happy.

Of course a good tune up plugs & wires. Aside of fluids anything else I should change?

Any other things that anyone know of that they recomend I am open to sugestions.

I almost forgot I have a 2in BB on this Jeep. New treads are comming. This jeep is my daily driver so I have to keep it reasonable. I know that 245/75/16's ie according to BFG 30.6 in tires will fit. Will the 265/75/16's fit as well they are 31.8in. Stock of course is 29.4. I would rather use the larger tire if I am not going to have major problem.

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2000 JGC and I want to increase horsepower w/o spending 1000's. Any suggestions from you guys out there would be appreciated.

I put on 265/75/16 Michelin LTX several months ago. What an improvement. very little road noise than the "badyears" they came with. Fit snuggly and no problems rubbing.

-Good luck
oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
LAJeepGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcounter
I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2000 JGC and I want to increase horsepower w/o spending 1000's. Any suggestions from you guys out there would be appreciated.

I put on 265/75/16 Michelin LTX several months ago. What an improvement. very little road noise than the "badyears" they came with. Fit snuggly and no problems rubbing.

-Good luck
Good to hear there was no rubbing. Do you have any sort of life on yours? I will let you know how the gears go with this unit. They are getting changed the end of next week.

Thank You
LAJeepGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2004, 01:26 PM   #4
UCDRonin

A K&N FIPK or similar setup for your intake will increase your HP for a reasonable price. I think they go for around $270, you can find them used sometimes for cheaper. On the exhaust, don't worry about the piping, Jeep was kind enough to supply 2.5" pipes which is perfect. Any bigger and you'll actually have a decrease in performance. As well as replacing your muffler I would suggest getting a new carsound high flow cat as well, the stock converter is pretty restrictive. Should cost around $100 bucks plus install, I think. I've also heard that a new MSD or other high performance brand coil and distributor will help give you a few more ponies, $300+. This is all pretty standard stuff, increased air flow in and out as well as better spark will give any vehicle a little extra pep. You can probably ask kolak for more advice, he's a jeep performance guru (kolak@aol.com).

Last edited by UCDRonin; 03-26-2004 at 01:31 PM..
UCDRonin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

If you are looking for performance parts, email Nick Kolak at Kolak@aol.com

He has a great business and is extremely knowledgeable about the mods.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcounter

Be careful...you may be rubbing and not know it. I have a set of 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on my 00' GC and I'm rubbing on the rear of the inner fender wall (up against the engine housing), and on the rear shocks. I'm running a Rusty's Offroad 2.5" lift. Here's pictures of where I'm rubbing up front...I'll have to wait until Sunday when I get her back to get some pictures of the where they're rubbing on the rear shocks.

Driver side:

Passenger side:

If you put these tires on the stock wheel, they will not fit...however, if you're going to go aftermarket with the wheels (ie. smaller than 6" backspacing), then they should fit...under that condition, you'll only be rubbing on this tiny flap in the front when you hit certain bumps, and you can just cut this flap off....not a problem at all, as I've yet to find a purpose for it.

If you're still wanting the 265/75/16's, LAJeep, I'll be selling mine as soon as I get my new tires in this week for $450 for all 5. One has only been mounted (never touched earth (spare tire on roof)), the rest have less than 2500 miles, all on-road so no chuncks missing or scars and I'm in New Orleans, so I can bring them up to you.
2000 WJ Limited - 2.5" Rusty's springs ¤ WAAG 1-piece front brush guard ¤ custom built WAAG nerf bars ¤ PIAA 580 lighting ¤ Custom Paint ¤ One-off Aluminum Treadplate Door Entry Guards & Rear Bumper Step ¤
1986.5 Porsche 928S - 18" Moda MD1 ¤ Autothority Chips ¤ Rear Muffler Bypass ¤ Short-Shift Kit
Grease Monkey & HNIC @ Clasik Auto

Last edited by Buddha_Kip; 03-27-2004 at 07:51 AM..
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.