WJ overheating in traffic - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ overheating in traffic

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

I can't see video from my phone but I didn't see if anyone mentioned that uvhave to use the approved hoat coolant..either from dealer or nappa. Green stuff not required just an fyi

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Also proper way to fill coolant .. There is can allen plug near the upper radiation ..take it out first before you start to fill.. It allows the air out so you won't get it trapped in the system
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
matt21484
2004 WJ 

Thanks to all for the tips and answers. It turns out (for now) that the system was really low on coolant, about 1 gallon. I opened up the bleed screw and the radiator cap and filled via the bleed screw until it overflowed a little. Tightened everything up and car warmed up correctly w/ heat on full blast. Followed the rest of the filling steps and took her for a 20 minute drive last night through the neighborhoods again, only this time no overheating! For future reference I found this video on youtube that helped a lot. Any suggestions as to why the system was a gallon short? I plan on doing a full drain and refill this weekend too as that hasn't happened since I've owned the Jeep (approx 3 years).

Blue Jeep Club Member #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlynd1978 View Post
Any one who tells me it "can fit" is the person i ask to find me some one more knowledgeable about what im looking for. I mean, diesel can fit in your gas tank, Trans fluid fits in your oil pan, fat women fit in your bed. Just cause it can doesnt mean you should.
matt21484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Cpl. Things possibly... Is you pass. Side rug wet at all. Maybe a bad heater core.. If it runs fine I would not think head gasket but check your oil just in case.. If its show up milky then u have a bad gasket.. You say u don't notice any leak under jeep right?
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
matt21484
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdc78 View Post
Cpl. Things possibly... Is you pass. Side rug wet at all. Maybe a bad heater core.. If it runs fine I would not think head gasket but check your oil just in case.. If its show up milky then u have a bad gasket.. You say u don't notice any leak under jeep right?
Correct, no leak under jeep. Honestly, nobody has sat shotgun in a while, I'll check the floor. I have rubber mats in so I think I would have noticed water in the channels of the mat, but I'll be sure to check. Thanks.
Blue Jeep Club Member #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlynd1978 View Post
Any one who tells me it "can fit" is the person i ask to find me some one more knowledgeable about what im looking for. I mean, diesel can fit in your gas tank, Trans fluid fits in your oil pan, fat women fit in your bed. Just cause it can doesnt mean you should.
matt21484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

You wouldn't see water. Just feel the carpet is wet, and/or smells musty. Just because it's doesn't look to be a leak somewhere, doesn't mean there isn't. Mine was seeping slowly through the draincock. Took me a while to find it as saw no signs it was leaking at all. Only way I discovered it is I was underneath looking right at it. Never would have seen otherwise. Sometimes hoses can seep as well, but only a bit here or there, leaving no real signs for you to see.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
fastrr
2004 WJ 

Was the overflow/reservoir tank completely empty or did it just not empty into the radiator? The reason I ask is that I have found that those hose from the tank to the radiator was kinked on mine where it mounts with the strap to the front support.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.