WJ Overheated, What do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Overheated, What do?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
AaronUArk
1999 WJ 

Wj WJ Overheated, What do?

So the grand overheated for the first time last night, just 20 minutes away from home after a 5 hour drive back from visiting family. Anyway, now I've got a buddy telling me I need to change my oil, drain the radiator, put new fluid in, etc. etc. My question to you all is, do I actually need to do any of this? He went on a bit, saying that the heat "changed the viscosity of the oil" and all that, normally I would just say bulls*** and ignore him but I figured I'd check with the geniuses here first. I will add that I have had to add water and radiator fluid to the reservoir twice in just as many months. I have no idea why (maybe a slow leak) but that's been the only problem. It's also only been roughly 1,500 miles since my last oil change. Thanks in advance guys.

AaronUArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
AaronUArk
1999 WJ 

*bump* Come on guys, it's just a question.
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

How bad was the overheat. How hot? How long? Did you lose coolant? More details would be helpful.
McGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
AaronUArk
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGR View Post
How bad was the overheat. How hot? How long? Did you lose coolant? More details would be helpful.

It got pretty hot, the temp gauge was just barely below 260. In fact, the engine shut off when I pulled over and had slowed down to about 20. I make a habit to check my gauges as often as possible but somehow missed it while it was rising.

Because of this, I'm not sure how long it ran hot but I'll guess and say about 1-2 minutes as I had just checked the gauges about 10 minutes prior.

I did lose coolant as it filled the reservoir up and came out the overflow tube, maybe a 1/3 of a gallon total. I waited for it to cool down and added the half gallon of water I carry for just this type of thing.

One more thing I noticed. When I popped the cap off the radiator (very carefully I might add) nothing came out of it. No water, no steam, nothing. At that point the engine was back down to normal operating temps at around 210 but I'd still expect something.

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
adavis39
2002 WJ 

coolant isnt that expensive.....if it was me, id drain you radiator and re-fill with an all new mixture of Zerex and distilled water......It would just make me feel better if that had happened to me. as far as the oil goes, someone else would have to chime in on that.....does it need to be changed? i dont know, but again its not alot of money to go ahead and do it. may be worth it just for the peace of mind
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

I've never heard such advise after many years hanging around automobiles both professionally and personally. My guess is that the oil is fine. Nonetheless, it may not be a bad idea to err on the side of caution and change the oil. More importantly, determine what caused the overheat and see that it is corrected.
McGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Not to scare, but the fact that your coolant isn't leaking and you've had to add, says one thing. Add that to the overheating problem, and you may consider getting your head gasket looked at for leaks. Coolant can mix in with the Oil, and if you run low on coolant, or your oil isn't lubricating the way that it should, it will cause friction and potentially overheat itself.
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
AaronUArk
1999 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
coolant isnt that expensive.....if it was me, id drain you radiator and re-fill with an all new mixture of Zerex and distilled water......It would just make me feel better if that had happened to me. as far as the oil goes, someone else would have to chime in on that.....does it need to be changed? i dont know, but again its not alot of money to go ahead and do it. may be worth it just for the peace of mind
Yeah, thanks for the advice. I was kind of hesitant to spend any money just yet, being on a college student budget and all. But I stopped by O'reillys after class today and picked some up. Looks like I'll be spending my birthday working on the Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGR View Post
I've never heard such advise after many years hanging around automobiles both professionally and personally. My guess is that the oil is fine. Nonetheless, it may not be a bad idea to err on the side of caution and change the oil. More importantly, determine what caused the overheat and see that it is corrected.
The hard part is trying to get myself to drain out what in my mind is perfectly good oil, but you might be right, better safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonLegend View Post
Not to scare, but the fact that your coolant isn't leaking and you've had to add, says one thing. Add that to the overheating problem, and you may consider getting your head gasket looked at for leaks. Coolant can mix in with the Oil, and if you run low on coolant, or your oil isn't lubricating the way that it should, it will cause friction and potentially overheat itself.
****... Yeah, I just talked to a friend of mine who's a mechanic... He kinda thought the same thing. I really hope that isn't it but it would definitely explain the coolant loss. I honestly don't know what I'll do if that is the case, I'm a college student working for minimum wage so fixing it would stretch my bank account, probably only to have something else happen to it 6 months later. Then on the other hand I wouldn't have a vehicle if I don't get it repaired, which I need for work, etc. Basically I'm up **** creek right now. Some times I wish I had never even looked at a Grand...

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
mquiroz
2004 WJ 

Check your engine oil for the presence of coolant. Take out the dipstick and see if it's milky, if it is, then coolant is mixing with your engine oil and you may need to change head gaskets. That recently happened to my 04 WJ and overheating damaged the head gaskets and heads that had to be machined.

Hope this helps!
mquiroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
mrese
1999 WJ 

I would check the oil as stated , fill the coolant, run it some see how it sounds! Did u waste the oil likely not, can u waste the oil by over heating it yes! A possible coolant leak is the heater core, is you passenger side carpet wet??? Or do u smell coolant in the passenger compartment while driving?
Check the oil if you just changed it , should still be fairly clean, if not change it.
'99 WJ Limited 4.7 K&N Filter CB 3" IRO
302, 000 miles
mrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
KonLegend
2005 WK 

I would get a Head Gasket check on this before anything else, the kits are easy or you could have a shop do it for you. Changing your oil and forgetting about the problem will do nothing, if the coolant is leaking into the oil, you are prolonging the inevitable. Damage usually only occurs if you overheat and warp the engine components. Aluminum heads swell and need replacement.
I do agree that you could check your engine oil, if it appears over the level and is of milky consistency, you have a probable head gasket issue, and I'd start there.
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
mrese
1999 WJ 

So whats did you figure out on this???
If your losing coolant the common issues are Radiator tank seperating, Heater Core, and Head gaskets. Start with looking down the side of the radiator and checking the passenger floor carpet.
'99 WJ Limited 4.7 K&N Filter CB 3" IRO
302, 000 miles
mrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
AaronUArk
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrese View Post
So whats did you figure out on this???
If your losing coolant the common issues are Radiator tank seperating, Heater Core, and Head gaskets. Start with looking down the side of the radiator and checking the passenger floor carpet.
I haven't figured much out yet. Between classes and work I don't have much time, but I'm keeping driving to a minimum. (i.e. beer runs and work). I did check my oil. It does NOT look milky or diluted in any way, and no water on passenger side carpet. The vehicle still drives and operates fine except for the original overheating incident. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do a thorough check, but for the time being it works.

Thanks for all your help guys, I seriously appreciate it!
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Good the oil looks good. Does the fan come on ok? If not possibly the relay is bad. Have seen it cause slight raising of temps stopping at lights etc. Not coming too high with the the temp, but enough to lose a bit of coolant from the overflow. Check your hoses. Any signs of leaking? Any sign of coolant from the drain cock? That was what was causing my leak. Tightening it up fixed that problem. As well, does your waterpump show signs that it's weeping? Had an XJ that was but took me months to figure out it was. Losing coolant but no real signs. When it was noticed it was, within hours it sent totally. Just the way that one went is all. But if it is losing through the waterpump, definitely can cause overheating and needs to be replaced. Easy job you should be able to do yourself and save $ paying someone to do it.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #15
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Keep close tabs on the underside of your oil fill cap. If it gets milky or sludgy then you've got a coolant leak into oil. Also get under jeep after sitting all night and check the FIRST drop out of a loosened oil drain plug. If its water you have coolant in your oil.

If neither of those, I'd change both your fluids and just keep monitoring for a week or so, but if ok you likely didn't do damage.

Don't drive her till you checked both of those. She won't get worse sitting there.

Obviously find what caused overheating and fix that....
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.