WJ noob looking for some tech info - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ noob looking for some tech info

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are a few on craigslist, or I can rebuild it.

Empty_Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Oh yeah... it's an HO. (Have we seen the HO drop valve seats yet?)

I'm curious to see pics of "drop valves" or whatever it did...

Be sure to price the engine & parts before you pull the trigger on this. I think you may be in the 3.5 - 4K range just for the rotating assembly before shipping. http://www.powertrainproducts.net/JE...FYZ4cAodwhQAuA

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-04-4-7-HO...-/150436353246

It might be north of 5K after it gets to your door.
You have to get the HO to keep wiring the same. There are some differences that do not let you change to non-HO.

Hope the price is a grand or less...and you are really good with a wrench because as I understand it, this thing is a bear to change engines on.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I already did a 4.0 in a wj and even that was a bear compared to an xj. A 4.0 in an xj takes me 5 hours, it took me 14 in the wj. Im good with a wrench. There are some long blocks on CL for 1200 but Im not sure if they are H.O. I wolnt know whats up until I actually get it home and open it up. Worse come to worse Ill 5.3 swap it like I planned originally, I would rather spend the money on doing that if it ends up being that expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466
Something like that doesnt seem bad tho, I can do everything but the machine work to the block.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
I already did a 4.0 in a wj and even that was a bear compared to an xj. A 4.0 in an xj takes me 5 hours, it took me 14 in the wj. Im good with a wrench. There are some long blocks on CL for 1200 but Im not sure if they are H.O. I wolnt know whats up until I actually get it home and open it up. Worse come to worse Ill 5.3 swap it like I planned originally, I would rather spend the money on doing that if it ends up being that expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466
Something like that doesnt seem bad tho, I can do everything but the machine work to the block.

In all honesty a 5.3 swap would cost you just about as much as a rebuilt 4.7 HO, or more.

There is not nearly the options available for plug and play engine management for Chrysler engines as there is for GM. You would probably need to go with something like a MegaSquirt. Of course that still leaves the issue of transmission management, since the 545RFE is electronically controlled. Chances are it would be easier just to toss in a 4L60E as there are several standalone controllers to choose from, but they leave much to be desired when compared to the 4L80E.

Assuming you can get the drivetrain to play nice, you still need to worry about safety systems such as ABS and the airbags, especially since you're going need to be able (presumably) annual safety inspection.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
In all honesty a 5.3 swap would cost you just about as much as a rebuilt 4.7 HO, or more.

There is not nearly the options available for plug and play engine management for Chrysler engines as there is for GM. You would probably need to go with something like a MegaSquirt. Of course that still leaves the issue of transmission management, since the 545RFE is electronically controlled. Chances are it would be easier just to toss in a 4L60E as there are several standalone controllers to choose from, but they leave much to be desired when compared to the 4L80E.

Assuming you can get the drivetrain to play nice, you still need to worry about safety systems such as ABS and the airbags, especially since you're going need to be able (presumably) annual safety inspection.
I think that rebuild kit is going to be the best bet if it needs a bottom end. Im trying to pick this thing up for $800.
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Yep, as long as the heads are salvageable, then just have those milled and rebuilt. HO heads are a bit hard to find and pretty pricey when they're available, so hopefully yours aren't cracked.

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So everything has to stay H.O. Nothing non H.O. will fit this thing, correct?
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
So everything has to stay H.O. Nothing non H.O. will fit this thing, correct?
Pretty much. All similarities between the two end at the bare block. Rotating assembly, pistons, cylinder heads, valves, cams, and up until '03 (IIRC) the intake manifolds are all HO specific. The HO underhood wiring harness also has provisions for two knock sensors, unlike the non-HO harness. This means the PCM is HO specific as well.

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Found a complete 4.7 H.O. at the junkyard in town for $1800...
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets
Found a complete 4.7 H.O. at the junkyard in town for $1800...
Might as well look into a reman for that money..
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

I wouldn't drop a Chevy into it. You'll have to weld on new motor mounts, redo all the wiring, new transmission, maybe even a new rear axle... Not worth it to me lol
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #27
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Didnt get it, he had the head off. Head was bad, piston was all types of beat up. Looked really clean in pics but it was beat up and wheeled. Interior was beat, bumpers cut for bigger tires. Couldnt test anything electronic because it was all appart. Didnt want to take the risk on it.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Didnt get it, he had the head off. Head was bad, piston was all types of beat up. Looked really clean in pics but it was beat up and wheeled. Interior was beat, bumpers cut for bigger tires. Couldnt test anything electronic because it was all appart. Didnt want to take the risk on it.
Good call. Sucks to hear, though. I went looking at a WJ in North Jersey that I was told was a 4.7L and it was not (4.0L). Not running I was trying to get it for $400, but he couldn't sell it that low. He reposted it for $900 after it was up for $1,500. Point is, WJ's are always out there with blown engines or transmissions. You'll find another one. Good luck.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Yep ....we were all giggling at the idea of the 5.3 going into the WJ. That would be signing up for a nightmare.

Good for you in leaving that one alone.

Find a 2003 Laredo with the 4.7 & Selec-trac, leather & tow package with 100-150K miles on it. Should be 3000 or less. Check for rust issues too & snatch it up when u find it. Look in Tennessee, KS or a non-salt use area.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

As luck would have it, I was just on Craigslist and I found an '02 Limited with a blown 4.7L and 245,000 miles. Guy said it was run hot and now has no compression. He listed it for $850 and one phone call later he said he'd take $650. New front driveshaft, some front differential parts, transmission has 50,000 on a rebuild, fully loaded (even has RB1, and I think tow package). I might pick it up and part it out. I'm looking at it tomorrow sometime to check for body damage and rust underneath. I'll let you know how it looks Empty Pockets, if you're interested.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.