WJ might be possessed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ might be possessed

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
beretta5spd

WJ might be possessed

Hello all... here's the vehicle in question:

2001 WJ 4.7 (non HO) 60th Anniversary Edition

Here's what's up:

I pressure washed under the hood today........ I have done this a dozen times in the past without issue. Today I didn't get so lucky. I don't say this trying to be rude but please don't try to be my mother and tell me it was a bad idea. I realize that now. I just wanted to make sure everyone has that information.

I first noticed that the cruise control wouldn't work right away. After that I checked all the vacuum lines and they appear to all be solid. Yes I checked from the evap canister to the 3 after the throttle body to the cruise unit below the battery.

After that... roughly 45 miles later... the transmission started to shift up and down... up and down at 60 mph.

It idles in neutral real good. A nice solid 700 rpm like it should be. A month ago it was idling all over the place but then it settled down and went back to normal. (700-1500 rpm)

It IS throwing the po123 code. That started AFTER the pressure washing. TPS voltage too high. I checked the TPS sensor connection and there wasn't any sign of water intrusion.

What are your thoughts in regards to fixing this issue? I assume the TPS would be the first bet.

I have been entertaining the thought of selling the WJ and getting into a pickup truck. The Jeep must have sensed it coming!

beretta5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
beretta5spd

I forgot to add... now it seems like it wants to shift up and down ALL the time. It's like it's A.D.D. and can't stand being in the same gear for more than 10 seconds haha
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Probably some water got into places it shouldn't have and hasn't dried out yet. Give it a day or so before getting very alarmed. Might try setting up a fan to blow into the engine compartment with the hood open at least over night. Parking it in the sun with the hood open might help also. Don't drive any more than necessary for a day or so or until the troubles go away. You can start it up just to check, but minimize driving while it is acting up.
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Sounds like it got into the TCM. You might take off the connector and blow it out with some compressed air and maybe even a hair dryer or heat gun on very low setting.

Something I have noticed is when I think of things that could happen, they do, so I try not to. I shake my head and pop that thought bubble :-)

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
ultimo
2002 WJ 

Try calling it Christine to see if it responds....
christine-car.jpg

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
ultimo
2002 WJ 

Please dont pressure wash your car engine compartment.
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Funny, I had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me last summer...

It turned out that I had gotten water in what you THINK would be a water-tight connection on the PCM or ECU or whatever over there on the passenger side firewal. I took it out, cleaned both the male and female ends of things with electronic contact cleaner and let it dry, put it back together and all was well again.

I think cleaning the engine compartment is an okay idea IF: You bag the throttle body and PCM/ECU, and you have the engine hot and running when you do it, and allow it to dry with the engine running before shutting the hood and turning off.
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
beretta5spd

ok so we have made some progress.

I replaced the TPS this morning and that solved the shift points getting out of wack.

The cruise control still doesn't work yet. When I pull the headlight it seems like I can hear a small vacuum leak around the cruise servo below the battery box. But when I spray some starting fluid in the general vicinity it doesn't seem to pick up rpm.

How hard is it to pull the battery box and then inspect further??
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
beretta5spd

thanks again for all your help
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
beretta5spd

oh, and dang I'm jealous of your pricing. regular price at napa for the TPS here in Canada is 75 dollars. With my discount it was 60. Still double what you guys pay
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
2004DUB
2004 WJ 

Make sure you used a Mopar TPS, I tried multiple after market ones and they all failed within a week of install.
2004DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
beretta5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004DUB View Post
Make sure you used a Mopar TPS, I tried multiple after market ones and they all failed within a week of install.
whoops. went with whatever NAPA sells. If it goes bad we will go from there
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
beretta5spd

ok so the jeep has been running fantastic for the last couple days after the TPS was installed.

the cruise still doesn't work.

I found my leaky vacuum hose. it's right under where the passenger headlight sits behind the front bumper cover.

It attaches to the vacuum reservoir and I cannot reach in there to put it on. Please tell me I don't have to pull the
bumper cover to reattach it. Does anybody know the procedure for this one?

Thanks in advance,

Dwight
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Even if you do the bumper cover takes a grand total of 5 minutes to remove. Underside clips, fogs, a bolt on each end in the wheel well and pull it off.
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
ok so the jeep has been running fantastic for the last couple days after the TPS was installed.

the cruise still doesn't work.

I found my leaky vacuum hose. it's right under where the passenger headlight sits behind the front bumper cover.

It attaches to the vacuum reservoir and I cannot reach in there to put it on. Please tell me I don't have to pull the
bumper cover to reattach it. Does anybody know the procedure for this one?

Thanks in advance,

Dwight
Did you pull the headlight?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.