WJ massive oil consumption - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ massive oil consumption

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 03-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
boostjunkie

WJ massive oil consumption

It's a 2000 limited with around 120k on the clock.
I bought this car stock with about 118k on it late last year and it was fine didn't burn oil or anything. Good running car, pretty mint. I lifted the truck right away before I even did my first oil change. I did oil change and it was fine for a while and out of nowhere started eating up massive amounts of oil, no leaks, smokes a bit but not as much as it should for the amount of oil it's going thru. I've added 4 courts this last 2500miles and as of this morning I think I'm a court or so low. The truck did develope a nasty tick at cold start up, sounds like the top half of the motor is being starved of oil until it warms up. One of my guesses if valve seals but that bad? I'm gonna do compression test this weekend. Any ideas guys?

boostjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Which engine?
Fill out your profile.

Measuring thru the dipstick, right? Certain the dipstick is seated correctly?
Smokes on start up or all the time?
Hows the antifreeze?
Do you have any mods we should know about? (remote oil cooler, oil filter mods, etc?)

Compression test is a good start... let us kow the results and answers to the above.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

I agree with E, the first thing I would inspect would be the antifreeze. Then rent a compression tester from AZ and let us know what you find out.

BTW, you killed 2 kittens with your post.

CI888
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
boostjunkie

Sorry it's a 4.7, dipstick is seated correctly, smokes on start up as far as i know. I have a compression tester on hand so that's not an issue, I do not have any mods motorwise.

Drain coolant to check? I haven't gotten around to changing heater core so that's messed up. Doubt it's got anything to do with it but figured I'd throw it out there.

Killed 2 kittens? Lol.. Sorry explain
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
RevNL
1999 WJ 

Check the crankcase breather and intake for signs of oil. Could be blowing oil out through the breather and then burning it. Bad PCV valve and/or charcoal canister? The old 4.2L sixes did that a lot. I wonder if a 4.7 might do the same.
RevNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
boostjunkie

Yea I have to invest a day in going over everything I've just been real busy at work so haven't had much free time and just throwing oil into it to keep it alive.

Why would I be getting such a bad tick at start up? Oil pressure reads around 60 at start up and stays pretty close when warmed up. I have however gotten a check guage light twice and oil pressure read 0 since owning it but lasted a few seconds and came back on. Bad sensor? Oil pump?
Unread 03-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
boostjunkie

I also have a rough idle as well.. Mainly stays at around 700ish but will sometimes surge to 1200 and stay
Unread 03-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

His pooor ca... um jeep. lol. Another kittens life spared.
erockz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
boostjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockz View Post
His pooor ca... um jeep. lol. Another kittens life spared.
Ahh lol noted! Thanks
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
boostjunkie

Ok I was able to do a compression test just now, I haven't drained oil or coolant yet but dd notice a lot of oil by the IAC housing and throttle body. I don't know the order of cylinders but I will put it down as if you were looking at the engine bay from the front.

155 145 <-- rear of motor
152 153
155 150
160 150 <-- front of motor
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Don't need to drain the coolant.
Just open the cap and look at it. Maybe draw a sample from the radiator.
How's it look?

And how do you fit a whole tennis court of oil in there?
Mine can only hold 5 quarts.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
boostjunkie

Haha very true sorry.. I really do know how to spell it, don't know why i spelled it like that. Good catch, I'm done for the night but will check coolant tomorrow, I am going to drain anyways since I will be doin the heater core of the jeep
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

A lifted WJ in Chicago? I wanna see it!
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

The 4.7s are very picky about oil. Ask me how I know. The hydraulic lifter valves did the same on mine and ticked then went away. It turned out though that the oil pump was going out and there was alot of crap in the passageways. Your compression seems pretty high there. Maybe you just lost some valve seals.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Valve seals should not cause massive oil loss.
Valve guides, maybe, but not the seals.
But bad guides will usually also produce a clattering noise.

Bad valve seals will cause some smoke out the tailpipe at startup.
But not so much once running. And generally not such a massive use of oil.

This is why we have been saying to check the coolant.
It sounds more like a bad head gasket than anything else, from the limited info we have...
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.