Wj long arm help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wj long arm help?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
jrberry13
1999 WJ 

Wj long arm help?

Hi i need some help guys....I took my jeep to a auto shop and they said i needed new rods as they called it, but i think they are long arms but not sure since i'm new to lifted jeeps. I will post a pic of it below . I need help on buying new long arms as cheap as possible or is there new bearings i can buy for them???? My jeep is a 99 wj 4.7 with i think 3-5 in lift not sure though since i bought it lifted.
any help will greatly appreciated!!

jeeplongarm.jpg  
jrberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
KDog223
2001 WJ 

I'm sure he meant the Rod Ends need replacing but with that much rust you might want to replace the whole arm at this point.
jeeplongarm2.jpg   rod-end.jpg  
KDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
jrberry13
1999 WJ 

So are those called control arms or long arms......also would you reccomend a brand to buy?
i also got another question....I need a rear drive shaft too, but i dont know what to get since my jeep has had a 2wd/4wd transfer case installed....i dont know if i should just get a stock 4x4 all-time drive shaft or another? im little confused.
Unread 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Your picture shows the lower control arm. It could be a short arm (mounts at the factory location on the body) or a long arm (the factory body side mount is cut off, and a new one is welded on allowing a longer control arm).

If it is lifted 3-5 inches, you really could have short arms. Take another pic that shows the mounting point on the body. That will allow us to see if these are long arms or short arms. If the arms are solid stock, you can just wire wheel them, apply some new paint, and re-build the joints. I think your joints are different from the heim shown above, but I could be wrong. Post a picture of the joints. With all the rust, It is very likely that your joints need to be rebuilt or replaced.

In regards to the rear driveshaft, what is wrong with yours? Is it bent or out of balance, does it need new U-joints...

Rather than buying a new one (very expensive), it is usually better to find a used one at a salvage yard or have a local driveshaft shop build one. I don't know if the driveshafts are the same length on grands with the 247 or the 242, maybe someone else will.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

those look like the old Teraflex LAs, you could get replacements from many places like IRO or Ironman4x4
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
KDog223
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I think your joints are different from the heim shown above, but I could be wrong.
Yep, I just grabbed a picture off of Google to show the OP what they generally look like.
KDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
jrberry13
1999 WJ 

Alright guys i will get some more pics tomorrow.....the guy told me i needed i a new drive shaft and uv joints....?
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
jrberry13
1999 WJ 

here are some more pics one is the ones on the back, i measured the front one to be around 31 in if that helps i also can take a video and post it to youtube if needed. Can you buy new bushings for them because they are solid, not rusted throught but the bushing are just wore out bad to where you can move them.
jeeplas1.jpg   jeepslas2.jpg   jeeplas3.jpg  
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
sinbad85
2001 WJ 

That has to be one of the biggest draw backs of living back east(ohio) is that rust!!! Looking at the pic's you have no bushings left, how was your DW? I think I would buy some new upper and lower arms,
2001 WJ 4.7L-selec-trac/4.5" Teraflex springs\IRO Long arms\Iro adj rear LCA/Bilstien 5100 series shocks/ IRO steering Equalizer/|265/75/16 Goodyear Dura-Tracs on Stock rims\Rear Tube Bumper with carrier|sliders|mopar skids.
sinbad85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I don't know if the driveshafts are the same length on grands with the 247 or the 242, maybe someone else will.
yes the driveshafts are different lengths depending on transfer cases and engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad85 View Post
That has to be one of the biggest draw backs of living back east(ohio) is that rust!!!
I am so glad I don't have to deal with all that rust... that looks awful!

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
WJ 2WD-->4WD Conversion Build Thread
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Those joints look rebuildable. It looks like you can spin the two outer peices off, replace the bushings, and re-assemble. I would soak the joints in something to remove the rust before doing that though.

Could those be Rock Krawler long arms? I don't know what all of the kits out there look like, but those look like or are very similar to RK joints.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
jrberry13
1999 WJ 

So i should just buy new arms all the way around(what brand shoould i buy and do i buy just any adjustable control arms or does it have to long or short?) or is there bushing i can get. Also what do mean rebuild the joint? sorry im still new to all this stuff?
Unread 09-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I wouldn't buy new control arms unless the rust has penetrated to the point where it has weakend them and they are unsafe.

If those are RK arms, they are solid stock. Just sand the rust off and re-paint. If they are the RK arms, here is what the joint looks like on the inside:

From the center out on each side on RK joints: The pivoting ball, a poly bushing, a thin metal washer like ring, the outer ring the screws into the joint housing.
On some of the RK kits the spacer is attached to the ball, on other kits the spacer is separate and will fall out when you remove the bolt. The joints pictured have spacers that are not part of the pivoting ball in the middle. The rest on each side of the ball and are held in place by the bolt through the joint. They fall out when I remove the bolts. You just use a pair of vice grips to twist the joint ends off and access all the interal parts of the joint.

Even if they are not RK arms and joints, they are probably something similar. Even if you decide you don't want to rebuild them, you should be able to buy whole new joints that screw into the arm and replace what you currently have. Even if you wanted to buy a different style of joint, you could. Just make sure to measure from the center of the eye on each end of the arm. After you install a new joint on each end, you want to make sure that the arm is the same length (unless you want to adjust the arms, pinion angle, or alignment.

Unread 09-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
jrberry13
1999 WJ 

can you tell me how to rebuilt the joints? like step buy step.. do i need to buy anything?i went out earlier and wire wheel sand the arms and it was just some surface rust. also could you take a pic of underneath ur jeep so i can see what its suppose to look like?

Last edited by jrberry13; 09-29-2010 at 06:48 PM..
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

They look like Rock Krawler's Krawler joint to me too. If you can unscrew/remove the current rod ends it'd be easiest to just buy new ones and screw them into the arms. Rock Krawler Catalog

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.