wj keyless remote - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wj keyless remote

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 06-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
T-Huss
2004 WJ 

wj keyless remote

Okay here's the problem.. my keyless door unlocker only works up to like 12ft.. I replaced the battery and at auto zone they have that thing to test it out and it seems its giving a weak signal. Which would be cheaper, buying one from a dealer or buying one online and having the dealer program it.. and what if its not the remote.. does it use the same radio antenna as the stereo?

T-Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

The receiver is inside the passenger door. I think in 03 or 04 they added an external wire type antenna to the receiver to help the range, and people have added wire to it to further increase the range, but it still pretty much sucks. I think from the factory they really only worked from about 30ft anyway.

To answer your other question, it will be cheaper to buy one online and have the stealership program. Some stealerships will do it for free, but most will charge a half hour of labor. (It literally only takes them about 30 seconds.)

Mine was down to about 6ft, so I went the aftermarket route with a remote start and now it works from about half a mile away with a straight shot.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
T-Huss
2004 WJ 

Half mile! Damn, Haha thanks
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
shocking1
1999 WJ 

Get the viper with smart start, I can start lock or unlock from anywhere I have cell service,I also get a text if my alarm starts going off
shocking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
miami5th
2001 WJ 

When I bought my 01 WJ it only came with one chipped key. I bought another blank chipped key and another remote fob. I took the blank key to a locksmith to have it cut. AFterwards, I had the dealership program the chipped key and the remote fob, $25 for each process.
miami5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
BigWheel7
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocking1 View Post
Get the viper with smart start, I can start lock or unlock from anywhere I have cell service,I also get a text if my alarm starts going off
Any more info on this?
BigWheel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheel7

Any more info on this?
In my buildt, or Viper alarm thread, Works great btw.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

The Vipers are nice, but pretty expensive. And dont you have to pay extra for the phone app?

I have the Avital 5303. It has a two way remote so it tells me when the alarm goes off and vibrates when it locks, unlocks, and starts. Basically everything the phone app does, I just have to be within about a half mile of it.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Just hold the remote up to your head and you'll get better range!

If it worked for Jeremy Clarkson, it should work for us!
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
http://www.gofundme.com/d8jlwo
derekmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
moPowered

^^^I've actually tried this and it does work. You beat me to the punch. But a better option is to go aftermarket. It personally doesn't bug me enough to spend money to fix this issue. But the remote to head trick does work. Give it a shot.
moPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
T-Huss
2004 WJ 

Hey don't be playing "Head" Games with me Haha it actually worked.. I walked slowly repeatedly pressing the button until it unlocked then backed up 5 paces held it to my head .. I feel like a genius! I just wish while I'm down on vacation in Wildwood that I could drive on the beach

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.