WJ High Idle Issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ High Idle Issue

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
BH97TJ
1977 CJ7 

Im not too thrilled about the new engine sitting at 4k rpm for an extended period of time with no movement. Ill try unplugging the IAC, but i dont have a scan tool here

BH97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
BH97TJ
1977 CJ7 

Moparmech, ill give that a shot too. Thanks for that tip! Hopefully i can find something after work today, but itll be my last attempt. I made plans with my buddy to pick it up with his trailer and take it to my mechanic for me. Im at wits end at this point and i already saved a ton of money in labor by doing the engine/trans replacement myself.

Thanks again everyone! I really do appreciate the help.
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

What if you fired it up and slid a plate or piece of wood or something over the TB to block off the air completely. If it still high revs then its a vacuum leak. If it stalls its a sensor or PCM or relearn.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
BH97TJ
1977 CJ7 

Turns out I'm an idiot. My mechanic fixed the issue and said the manifold was sitting away from the engine on the bottom toward the firewall, obviously sucking in way more air than it should.

But now the used trans I installed has some pretty major issues. So ... back out to the garage to throw my old trans back in.

It never ends!
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH97TJ View Post
My mechanic fixed the issue and said the manifold was sitting away from the engine on the bottom toward the firewall, obviously sucking in way more air than it should.
How could that be? Is it because you were using your old intake and it was slightly warped...remedied with high-temp sealant?

On the tranny re-swap...if this was a used engine you put in and you didn't already ...may as well replace any freeze plugs on the back of the block while you have them apart...cheap and easy.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
BH97TJ
1977 CJ7 

The intake wasnt sitting all the way against the head in the rear where the dowel is. The front was seated correctly, but the rear wasnt. The intake isnt warped.

Im keeping the engine in this time, obviously, but i appreciate the input on the freeze plugs.
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH97TJ View Post
Im keeping the engine in this time, obviously, but i appreciate the input on the freeze plugs.
I was implying when you pull this tranny out you'll have the back of the block exposed to easily get at those rear plug(s).
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #23
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Unless the trans comes out of a wrecked vehicle I don't trust it. I see too many perfect looking vehicles with paint pen on the roof saying bad trans when I go junking.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
srwells37
2001 WJ 

Did you ever figure out the high idle problem ? I just replaced my engine and its doing the same thing.. Thanks
srwells37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
BH97TJ
1977 CJ7 

Yep, it was in fact the intake manifold sitting away from the cylinder head. Make sure your manifold is fully seated in the right position on the dowel pins and torque the bolts and nuts to spec. Its a pain in the *** to get in there to check if its seated right, but a small flashlight and a mirror are your friends!

Good luck!
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #26
srwells37
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the info. Guess ill be looking at that this week
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
skypilot123

Sounds like a massive vacuum leak, as suggested.
skypilot123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
srwells37
2001 WJ 

my problem is fixed. it was i fact the intake manifold wasnt seated right. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.