WJ Grand Cherokee Stalling and stumbling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Grand Cherokee Stalling and stumbling

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
dingodaver

WJ Grand Cherokee Stalling and stumbling

I'm brand new to this forum as a member but have read many posts on this topic...but still can't get the problem figured out.
History...2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0L with 201,000 miles. Recently she's been intermittenly stumbling and after it warms up will stall out without warning. Mine, unlike others that I have read about will start right back up. It doesn't do this on every (cycle) or start but does it at least every other start. I did the key switch code retrive thing and now an getting the P0340 code which I think is the camshaft sensor.
I've replaced in the last 2 weeks:
camshaft sensor
crankshft position sensor
throttle position sensor
battery terminals cleaned and battery checked out good.
6 new APP985 plugs installed.
It's still acting up??
Now, I didn't use OEM Mopar parts..could I have got a bad sensor?
I've heard guys say replacing the PCM is a fix?
Any advice would be great!

dingodaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
dingodaver

I pulled the aftermarket cam position sensor and bought a Mopar part...exactly the same part and part number by the way...$30 more!
Went for a long test ride and about 15 minutes in, stalled out again...
Also tonight I did the zip tie, deoxit cleaning on the PCM connections. Only drove around neighborhood but never stalled..check engine light came back on..p0340?? Cam sensor.
Could it still be the crank sensor? Maybe the Auto parts store unit is bad? Could I need a new PCM?
Anyone...running out of options!?
dingodaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
new2site
2002 WJ 

Try resetting the PCM:
To do this you touch your positive battery CABLE end to engine block ground --or you can disconnect your battery for about 12 hours for same results.
Grab some jumper cables> Disconnect the positive battery cable from battery> clamp one jumper cable lead to it(the positive battery cable end you just disconnected from battery) and connect the other end/lead to your engine block--engine mounts work good and leave there for around a minute. Reconnect positive cable to battery> turn ignition switch forward to ON position (just shy of cranking engine) > Turn headlights on then off and then turn key off.

Your PCM is now reset.
Drive it around the block a few times while it "recollects data from your engine sensors."
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
lilalleykatt

1999 grand cherokee stumbling

I have had this same stumbling from 2 4.0 GCs. The computer has corrected this in the past but it has come back after 6mos. I cannot tell if its a fuel pressure or ignition problem.It seems It just started again while driving in the deep Michigan snow today white in part time transfercase. I have already replaced the ECU with a rebuilt unit and thought the problem was corrested. This is a southern vehicle and its first snow duty. Do these GCs have a known history of ECU related problems. I hate to just keep on replacing them if maybe an additional ground or mod may be helpful.

Thanks in advance lilalleykatt

Last edited by lilalleykatt; 02-06-2014 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: typo
lilalleykatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
heitzman
2002 WJ 

MAP sensor? That was the problem on my wifes 99 GC.
heitzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
limitmike
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe oxygen sensors? A friend had a very similar problem and that's what did it for him. You could also try cleaning your throttle body and IAC. That helped mine out a lot.
limitmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.