WJ grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ grand cherokee

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 04-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
cherook

WJ grand cherokee

Hi, Im new to this forum and jeep, Im looking at a wj grand cherokee 2001, can anyone tell me any common problems that these have? also what should I look for on car before handing over the cash????

cherook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
MikeeN
2003 WJ 

search through some threads youll find a lot of stuff but there nothing major problem wise just the notorious blend door and small stuff that can have problems.
MikeeN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
outlaw30
2001 WJ 

v8's don't like overheating. lots of little stuff like sensors. I6's have less desirable transmission and rear diff, unless they have factory tow package.

x2 on doing some searching on here. Your question is asked fairly frequently on here, almost word for word.
outlaw30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Pay attention to the one threat answering how it should feel when driving. I wish I would have saved it it was very accurate on what it should feel like driving.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
cherook

Im looking at th 3.1 TD 2001. heard that handling can be woolly on them?
also that the head can warp easy? im getting a comp inspection done on car before buying but wondered what probs might come up in future really. uncle has a 1997 cherokee and it runs sweet so just thought id ask if build was as good on the newer mod
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Mr_Grumpy
1999 WJ 

in uk i find it terrible to find people who have a clue how these things work and how to fix them without ripping you off or totalling the vehicle itself. Handling is never the same a car and on our roads we notice it more i think that our american friends with their straight wide roads.

Also make sure that lubricants are done with proper stuff cause ,for example, kwik fit just put in any old ****e and previous owner may have used likes of them. 3.1 d is a bit of a slack slapper but a ok workhorse and more torquey than the 2.7 but 3.1 is italian and the 2.7 is a merc so personal pref really.
Mr_Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
cherook

think the 2.7 CRD is a tempting offer, they seem to hold money better. . . .
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
vwbuge
2002 WJ 

www.wjjeeps.com
vwbuge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
cherook

what am i looking for?
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Mr_Grumpy
1999 WJ 

Dunno cause i thought wjjeeps didnt have diesel stuff on it >,<
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Webwolfhound
2001 WJ 

Wj The windows drop

but if you follow the thread on here you will see how to fix them (driver's door first - from most use) or how to prevent the problem with a cheap fix. My 2001 WJ spent a year with an unuseable window 'cause I didn't know what to do.

I love my Jeep and I work on it myself to save money, as someone said already: service in the UK is hugely expensive. I just had a quote for £50 plus VAT to test it on a Chrysler diagnostic machine and I will do it because I can't work out what's wrong.

Fuel use is criminal and at £1.30 per litre you certainly understand what 14lts/100km means: it means you must be rich! I'm not but when I had the chance to sell my WJ a couple of months ago, I declined. Even my wife wanted to keep it and she hates driving it.

It's a big engine and if you treat it well it will last for decades. You don't see many Jeeps on the road in the UK but half of those you do see are old models and those people must have a reason for keeping them so long.

Webwolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Mr_Grumpy
1999 WJ 

Yeah thats true although it might be they keep em because they spent so much on fixing them they cant afford a half decent vehicle ;p

But i woudnt sell mine, for reason that are sentimental (mainly mental bit) and financial ( spent a lot on it sure as hell aint takain less thana i spent on it this year alone lol) and it still gets admired by folk with defenders/discos etc even tho its that dark purple ( which i cant find colour code for still lol)
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Webwolfhound
2001 WJ 

OK, I agree it is the mental part - I do seem to spend more time on this forum than talking to my wife and that never happened before I had the Jeep (actually it never happened until the Jeep passed 110k miles) and I know it's not a real relationship, she just takes and rarely gives (I could have so much fun here but I value my life - though not for much - the WJ takes too much) but it's like a game, a contest, a test of will. I simply can't think of losing. It does turn heads, it's a handsome car, probably the best shape Jeep ever and probably the only 4x4 I would want. They do seem to have a ridiculous number of faults so they're best avoided but . . .

. . . once you buy it you can't let go so the answer is don't go there or you'll be hooked.
Webwolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
Olese
2000 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherook View Post
Hi, Im new to this forum and jeep, Im looking at a wj grand cherokee 2001, can anyone tell me any common problems that these have? also what should I look for on car before handing over the cash????
I guess the place to start would be to ask yourself what it is that you intend to do with your new WJ. Do you plan to keep it stock and drive around the street? Are you planning on doing some light wheeling, heavy wheeling etc.

The H.O. is definitely worth it but only if you feel you need the extra power and forged internals. If you just want to drive it on the street or do some light wheeling, you probably donít need what the H.O. has to offer. The standard 4.7L runs pretty good. Put a cold air intake on it with a free flowing exhaust and itís pretty nice. Especially with 4 wheel low, you wonít come up short on power.

I think that most Overlandís come with the up country package. If you donít want to mess with a bunch of stuff and want to do some light wheeling, look for the Overland with the up country suspension. ĺ inch lift, factory skid plates etc.

I have owned four WJís. I personally like the Limitedís and I prefer the looks of the 99 and 00ís. They have the best looking front ends, especially in the LTDís with the paint matched cladding, painted grills, and no front plate. The round fog lights in the 04 look nice but the bumper does not.

Should you buy one with more than 120k miles on it? Of course! Look, if you are going to buy a WJ, most know the pain in butt problems that plague them. Youíre going to have to replace those parts sooner or later. If you get a great deal on an older, higher mileage WJ, who cares? Use the money that you saved to do the repairs and you know that they will last a lot longer. To think that buying a low mileage one is going to make those parts not fail is unrealistic. I had one WJ where the blender doors failed at 61k and I had another where they didnít fail until 148k. Blender doors, window motors, front driveshaftís, idiotic electrical problems are part of the WJ. Accept it and fix it or donít buy a WJ.

The 03 and 04ís have some nicer amenities. They steer a bit nicer, brake a bit easier, have side airbags, stereo with navigation etc. but in my opinion they donít look near as nice as the 99 & 00ís. If creature comforts are important, go with the later WJís but if looks are important then I would go with the earlier ones. Remember, regardless of which one you choose, you will have to do the repairs eventually.

To me, nothing sucks more than to pay more money for a newer edition and then have to repair it. Save the money by buying an older one and use the money that you saved to do the inevitable repairs. Youíll probably end up with a more reliable vehicle for the same or less money!

Michael
Olese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
moparwj
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Grumpy View Post
in uk i find it terrible to find people who have a clue how these things work and how to fix them without ripping you off or totalling the vehicle itself. Handling is never the same a car and on our roads we notice it more i think that our american friends with their straight wide roads.

Also make sure that lubricants are done with proper stuff cause ,for example, kwik fit just put in any old ****e and previous owner may have used likes of them. 3.1 d is a bit of a slack slapper but a ok workhorse and more torquey than the 2.7 but 3.1 is italian and the 2.7 is a merc so personal pref really.
since when are the roads so wide and straight maybe out in the midwest/west but here the roads are not to different (with the exception of the interstate of course)
moparwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.