WJ - GC 4.7L Ltd - Will only start when cold - Hot engine will take ages to start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ - GC 4.7L Ltd - Will only start when cold - Hot engine will take ages to start.

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 04-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
JMcLane
2001 WJ 

WJ - GC 4.7L Ltd - Will only start when cold - Hot engine will take ages to start.

Hey guys.

I recently had issues over in this thread.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...roblem-977062/ .

Initially it was bad at starting and running badly but I have changed quite a few things now and seem to have rectified something..

I have changed in the last 4 weeks...

Battery (optima Red Top, as above post).
Crank Position Sensor.
Coil Pack on the front of engine (front of car) 2 cylinders. (changed on April 20th 2010)
New Spark Plugs.
Serviced.

Now the Jeep runs fantastically on cold startup and when it is running under any hot/cold start conditions. The issue is that it is really hard to start once the engine is running hot.

First thing in the morning since I have changed the 2 coil packs it is about a 2 second start routine and just purr's with no help from feathering the throttle. Perfection.

Where do you think I should be looking to make some progress folks?

Thanks.

JMcLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Sounds like a fuel pump. WJs were very bad and losing fuel pressure due to the orings in the pump. You can confirm this by priming the system by turning the key to run a few times, then cranking. If it fires right up then you found the problem. Mine had the same issue.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.