WJ Fuel Filter Line Broken? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Fuel Filter Line Broken?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Colton800
2001 WJ 

Wj WJ Fuel Filter Line Broken?

I was changing my fuel filter in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L I6. The Out line and the pressure regulator line came off easy. The In line did not, I had my dad help, he ended up cutting the In line off the fuel filter. We both tried to take the fuel filter In piece off the line and somehow it got logged in there so well it aint comming out, I think we broke the metal piece. It seems it's heat shrinked on there. I read on here that you can replace that piece, re-heat shrink and put it back on. Is that piece commonly available or from the dealership, or do you have to replace the line it'self. Here in Canada most places are closed due to a holiday, so I can't phone around and check. Thanks for your replies!

Colton800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
jeep308
2004 WJ 

i just replaced mine a week ago and from what i was reading from other peopl is that if the line gets cut or damaged you have to replace the entire line.
was it an issue with the connector or that the line was just really stuck on there? cutting any line should always be a last resort. just my .02.

"He looks like he might have seen one up close" -again Boondock Saints.

No matter how many times you watch that movie it still f***ing rocks!
jeep308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
WJ4x4LIFE

Name that line number?

--------------------------------------
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Colton800
2001 WJ 

I believe it is line 5, it had the metal end connector that goes on the In line, right beside the Big connector.
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Colton800
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep308 View Post
i just replaced mine a week ago and from what i was reading from other peopl is that if the line gets cut or damaged you have to replace the entire line.
was it an issue with the connector or that the line was just really stuck on there? cutting any line should always be a last resort. just my .02.
We didn;t cut the fuel line, we cut part of the fuel filter off, the person who last changed the filter jammed the filter in, breaking the clip and logged it in there.
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton800 View Post
We didn;t cut the fuel line, we cut part of the fuel filter off, the person who last changed the filter jammed the filter in, breaking the clip and logged it in there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am very prone to be very specific to each of my problems, Sorry.

If you are referring to either side, but I believe you have the issue with the "quick disconnect" on the left hand side. You can try to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to remove the connectors, or a set of QUICK DISCONNECTS at your local auto-parts store, I believe a set should be around $6.99 or so.

--------------------------------------------------

If you have already broke the either line from the fuel filter back to the fuel tank, then there is no other choice, but replace the entire 4 lines that come as a assembly.

CAUTION: The interior components (o-rings, spacers) of some types of quick-connect fitting are not
serviced separately. If service parts are not available, do not attempt to repair a damaged fitting or
fuel line. If repair is necessary, replace complete
fuel line assembly.

--------------------------------------------------

OEM

"Rear fuel tube assembly."

P/N: 52100196AD MSRP $112.00

--------------------------------------------------------

I hope I have helped.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
jeep308
2004 WJ 

ok. i used a 10mm open end wrench and pused the plastic piece into the metal connector to release the fuel filter. so hold the line and push the wrench against the plastic piece into the metal connector then pull your remaining piece of the filter out. it may pull the plastic connector back out, just push it back in againand keep doing it till the piece is out. easy to do once you have done it once.

"He looks like he might have seen one up close" -again Boondock Saints.

No matter how many times you watch that movie it still f***ing rocks!
jeep308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Colton800
2001 WJ 

My local Napa sells fuel line kits. I actually cut the connector off the fuel line. I got a connector similar to the Out connector of the fuel filter. Fits right into the line very snug, using high pressure hose clamps. Will see how it goes, will do this in Sunday, and report back.
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
charleswilson90
2003 WJ 

I accidentally did that not too long ago and used the Napa replacement kit. Worked great. Get a cup of water boiling hot and stick both ends of the fuel lines you are connecting in it for a couple of minutes and then get them as far as you can onto the metal joint they give you. It has been about a month and it still works great. If you buy the fuel lines from the dealer you have to buy both lines in a kit and replace them from the tank to the filter and they wanted about $70 for both. That is also a heck of a lot more work to replace them rather than just fix them.
charleswilson90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Just had to do this too. Unfortunately the Dorman connector (NAPA #730‑4926) doesn't fit into the nylon fuel line. Had to use a barbed 5/16 fuel line union (NAPA # 730-4911) to join it to a piece of 5/16" high pressure fuel line hose (NAPA #H-176) which then joined to the connector. It's tight as can be and beats hell out of dropping the fuel tank to replace the hose. I'd have cut an access hole into the spare tire well before I went to all that trouble.

Unread 05-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Colton800
2001 WJ 

I agree, getting replacement ends from Napa sure beats Dropping the tank and replacing the entire line.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

There is a trick to taking them off, I posted a photo of how they come off in the thread "Replace the WJ external fuel filter"

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...l#post14901097
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Old post, but i kinda ran into the same issue the OP did. Look at the first photo on post #6. I broke the quick disconnect fitting on the left hand side. I had no idea what i was doing... Anyways the metal fitting is completly fine. Its the internals that i broke. The black plastic clip and the inner steel retaining clip.

Rather than replacing the whole line, is it possible to just replace those 2 small interal parts? Or is the fitting pretty much done for?
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.