WJ Front Upper Control Arm Bushings...Moog Part #? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Front Upper Control Arm Bushings...Moog Part #?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #31
steveo358

I talked to advance on these 2 bushings, he put them together and said that the inside sleee is different on them. said the 3128 has a larger hole. I may get both and have on hand, and send the other one back wwhen I figure out which is the correct one.

steveo358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
Fireball027
2002 WJ 

The moog number I gave fit the factory bolts with very little play.
If the hole is bigger on the other one it may cause noise as the bolt can move around. However take a look at the as the bushing may have a bigger center hole but could have metal bumps inside the hole to center the bolt (just like the ones IRO uses in there upper arms) and make it the same hole diameter as the other moog number.
Fireball027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #33
greenwj
2004 WJ 

The Moog 3128 bushing is the same size as the 3166 but has a slightly larger bolt hole. I think it is a half inch instead of metric. The 3128 bushings are quite a bit cheaper but they didn't fit for me. You can press it in fine, but when you put the bolts in they are too loose and you have to press them back out and take the back to the store. Ask me how I know...

For me the 3166 was the correct bushing for all 4 upper control arm bushings. The control arm side are very easy to get out, so IMO there is no need to order the whole control arm to replace just a few bushings. The Axle side are very difficult to remove. Also, I had trouble getting the passenger-axle side in without bending the flimsy little bracket.

I also had a very difficult time tightening the bolts with the weight of the jeep on the suspension. There isn't much room and the bolts on the axle side have the stupid torx (T50) heads. If I were to do it over, I would replace those bolts with regular bolts.

As another side note, the Moog bushings are just reboxed clevite bushings. I think most parts stores all sell the exact same bushing under different names (Napa, Duralast, etc.). It will have CLEVITE embosed right in the rubber, just get the cheapest one they are all the same. Took me forever to find the right part number because no one lists that part for a WJ...
greenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #34
pkess3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwj View Post
The Moog 3128 bushing is the same size as the 3166 but has a slightly larger bolt hole. I think it is a half inch instead of metric. The 3128 bushings are quite a bit cheaper but they didn't fit for me. You can press it in fine, but when you put the bolts in they are too loose and you have to press them back out and take the back to the store. Ask me how I know...

For me the 3166 was the correct bushing for all 4 upper control arm bushings. The control arm side are very easy to get out, so IMO there is no need to order the whole control arm to replace just a few bushings. The Axle side are very difficult to remove. Also, I had trouble getting the passenger-axle side in without bending the flimsy little bracket.

I also had a very difficult time tightening the bolts with the weight of the jeep on the suspension. There isn't much room and the bolts on the axle side have the stupid torx (T50) heads. If I were to do it over, I would replace those bolts with regular bolts.

As another side note, the Moog bushings are just reboxed clevite bushings. I think most parts stores all sell the exact same bushing under different names (Napa, Duralast, etc.). It will have CLEVITE embosed right in the rubber, just get the cheapest one they are all the same. Took me forever to find the right part number because no one lists that part for a WJ...
Will the Moog 3166's work for the front lower control arm bushings? Do you know?
pkess3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #35
rrose3000

Yes, Look on Youtube theres a guy there that has handle BleepinJeep entitled "Replace upper control arm bushings" and he shows you how to do the upper fnt control arms by jacken up your Jeep in the front and using a bushing press and a rotary impact wrench (I think you can purchase one at "Harbor Freight") to remove the upper control arm bushings at the axle. Be sure and hit them with plenty of "PB Blaster" penetrant the night before so that it has a chance to work in there. It looks like he jacks up the front of the vehicle as high as he can get it, he even uses a 2 foot long 4x4 block of wood under the front bumper to raise his Jeep even higher. As with all bushings once you get them in be sure to compress the suspension so that when you tighten them they are not under a constant twist which will wear them out in under 20k miles. Also use good bushings from Mopar, Moog "Problem Solver Line" or Raybestos Professional grade because you get what you pay for....

Good Luck
rrose3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #36
WXman
2001 WJ 

Oreilly's lists a HD poly bushing kit for the front of these Jeeps made by Energy Suspension. Since everybody likes the poly bushings for the track bar, I wonder how they would work for the control arms?
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.