WJ front DS question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ front DS question

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
cosmo1
2003 WJ 

WJ front DS question

Ok nobody get mad at me. All this info is probably here somewhere but I need it in very basic terms. I have searched and found that when you lift a GC WJ 4+ inches you need to convert the front drive shaft to a double cardan. I understand the basic idea but can you guys just spell it out for me: WHAT DO I NEED TO BUY? I'm running around with no front DS and I don't like it one bit. And again, I apologize. I know this has been covered but its all kinda a foreign language to me. Thanks fellas.

cosmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Mgilles
1999 WJ 

OK, You have 2 options...
OPTION 1: You can swap over a double cardan driveshaft from a newer grand cherokee. This would require you to also replace the yokes at the differential and at the transfer case. Someone will have to chime in about the difference in length of the driveshaft, if any, between the I6 and the V8. This would be by far you cheapest option. When replacing the pinion yoke you have to be extra careful because the nut holding it on put a preload on the pinion bearing and when you replace the nut it has to be in the same place to put the proper preload on.

OPTION 2: You can call up Carolina Driveline or Tom Woods to custom make you a drive shaft. They can pretty much set you up if you tell them you situation. I believe this cost around $300-$400
Mgilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
TheBoss
malt, hops, yeast, water

2012 JK Wrangler 

First look to see if your front axel has a yoke or a cv. Then you could either just buy a yoke for your t/c and find a ZJ front shaft. Or look up Tom Woods ,Carolina, I.R.O. ect.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
cosmo1
2003 WJ 

Ok so a zj shaft would be long enough, with travel with a 4 inch lift?
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
cosmo1
2003 WJ 

On the axle end of the shaft its a u-joint. On the t-case end its a cv joint.
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Mgilles
1999 WJ 

So you need to find a u-joint yoke for your 242. And yea i've heard people say that a zj front driveshaft fits perfectly with 4" of lift
Mgilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
cosmo1
2003 WJ 

That's really good news. Thank y'all for your help. Looks like I'm going to a scrap yard.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.