WJ: Final fix for power seats. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ: Final fix for power seats.

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 11-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

WJ: Final fix for power seats.

If you've got a WJ with the motorized seats, then you're probably all too familiar with the broken seat bracket. Get it welded, 300 miles later another one breaks.

After having my seats welded three times, with enough fires and burned material to show for it, I wanted to find an end-all solution to this problem.

This lies in the ZJ seat rail bracket.

To the untrained eye, the ZJ rail is a duplicate of the WJ rail with one advantage: It's 2x as beefy. Instead of a single piece of 1/8" steel to lower, raise, and hold all the g-forces of a 200lb human for 150k miles, the ZJ uses a boxed setup, with 1/8' steel.

Now for the pics:

This is the seat that I have: full-way power with heated leather.

I got a seat rail from a full-power, non-heated cloth 1996 Laredo ZJ. It had the same plastic and buttons on the side as did mine.

The offender:

ZJ seat rail. From a 1996 ZJ, full power. (I don't know if the non-powered reclining ones are the same, that's going to have to be discovered, but most lilkely yes)

You'll notice it comes with the seat belt clip. Unbolt it, and discard/keep it. The WJ's is mounted to the transmission hump.

Next, unbolt the four 1/2" or 13mm bolts. I highly suggest buying a ratcheting wrench just for this purpose. My shallow well craftsmans were too tall, and using a regular box-end wrench would take next to forever.
Make sure to unclip the wiring harness from the seat rails too.

After unbolting, this is what you should have:

ZJ on right, WJ on left.

Looks easy, right? Just rebolt the ZJ rail, and all is well, right?

WRONG!!!

Chrysler decided "Hey, let's mess with anyone that tries to work on our stuff, since it looks like it would fit, but really doesn't"

The part that attaches to the actual floor of the car has to be reused from the WJ rails. The ZJ ones are 1/8" of an inch too close together.

Unbolt this bolt:

And slide the rails from the WJ onto the ZJ.

Now you have a bomb-proof motorized mechanism that is sturdy as hell.

***NOTE: These are motorized seats, meaning that if you get them at a junkyard, there is no guarantee that you will be able to access the back two bolts. Bring a 12v or higher drill battery, and use that to move the seat back and forth.

Hey mods, since I can be a productive member of JF, can I be let back into General Discussion? Please, pretty please, with a solid axle on top?

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

bump damnit.

2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I must say you were pretty determined to get your seat working without having to buy a new one, and without having me weld it again!

I will be doing this to both my WJs.

Nice work!!!
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Heh, true, your beer a weld prices are getting kinda stiff nowadays. Especially with the economy. You know, fuel economy.

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

**I have some important info to add..

This info is about doing the seat frame mod/upgrade to a LIMITED model.

So if you have a WJ Limited, you need to use a seat frame from a Limited ZJ, to ensure the memory seat buttons will still work, as the Laredo motors dont have a spot to connect the sensor wires.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
U2Fans
1999 WJ 

iluvtruenos... Thanks for this thread. I just had a great idea.

Junkyard power leather seats with heat. They require a different harnesses (most likely) and a matching switch. I have a feeling that my seat will be broken again before I get there though. Good info, thanks.

[B][CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]Who's got some sliders they want to sell me??? [/COLOR][/CENTER][/B]
U2Fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Nope, harnesses are the same. At least the plugs are.

I've noticed this:

ZJ Laredo: Same plug as Limited, but had 3-4 less wires. The seat was cloth/non heated, but had same plug as leather/heated.
ZJ Limited: Same plug as Laredo, but 3-4 more wires. The model I saw DID NOT have heated seats, but did have memory. Same plug as heated/leather/memory.

Unread 12-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

So, whos car did you steal those out of?

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
U2Fans
1999 WJ 

My wife just wants a heated ***... and I wanna give it to her.

[B][CENTER][COLOR="SlateGray"]Who's got some sliders they want to sell me??? [/COLOR][/CENTER][/B]
U2Fans is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.