WJ FAQ - Help contribute here! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ FAQ - Help contribute here!

Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Axle Shaft lengths for Varilock and Non-Varilock systems:

Non-Varilock:
long side- 35 1/8"
short side-19 3/8"

Varilock:
long side- 36 3/8"
short side-18 3/8"

Also a nice little tip for axle shaft seal replacements:
A CV joint Cage fits nicely around the shaft seals without crushing the rubber. If you ever replace your CV joints or have one go bad, keep the cage. I couldnt find my seal installer tool anywhere and ruined 2 seals trying to get it in until I decided to improvise. It works nicely since the cage also allows you to hold it in position better than a lot of tools.It's important to remember if you do use it for this, don't plan on ever putting it back in a CV joint.

kristi5683 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #32
Mudder_Trucker
1999 WJ 

Tail Lights

Im a bit of a new guy around here, but i have heard of a tail light problem with WJ's...

Problem: Tailights work when they want to. Brake lights work sometimes, turn signals work sometimes, etc.

Cause: The standard incandescent bulb gets hot, and warps the circuit board behind the bulbs.

Solution: If your tails are fine, get LED bulbs (3157's available from many LED light websites such as vleds.com, or even from Summit Racing.)

If your tails are acting like mentioned, look into replacing them.

The dealer wants $130 Per Side for an OEM Tail Light. I got LED tail lights from ebay for $175 for the pair. IMO, theyre a good investment.
Mudder_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #33
MadMonk
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder_Trucker View Post
Im a bit of a new guy around here, but i have heard of a tail light problem with WJ's...

Problem: Tailights work when they want to. Brake lights work sometimes, turn signals work sometimes, etc.

Cause: The standard incandescent bulb gets hot, and warps the circuit board behind the bulbs.

Solution: If your tails are fine, get LED bulbs (3157's available from many LED light websites such as vleds.com, or even from Summit Racing.)

If your tails are acting like mentioned, look into replacing them.

The dealer wants $130 Per Side for an OEM Tail Light. I got LED tail lights from ebay for $175 for the pair. IMO, theyre a good investment.
Huh. I've never heard of that being a chronic problem. I've had my WJ for ten years now and I think I have replaced only one burnt out tail light bulb.
'99 WJ Limited 4x4, 4.0L, Patriot Blue Metallic, IRO 3" springs, track bar, and rear sway bar links, Doetsch Tech 8000 shocks, Tenneco steering stabilizer, Carolina Driveline double-cardan front drive shaft.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Mudder_Trucker
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonk

Huh. I've never heard of that being a chronic problem. I've had my WJ for ten years now and I think I have replaced only one burnt out tail light bulb.
Really? I've heard a lot of people having problems with them. Maybe only older WJs had that issue. Mine is an earlier 99. My buddy had that issue, lots of ppl on another forum. I thought it was a common problem. Nobody mentioned it...
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
narnwv

2000 WJ 

it's never an issue with the light bulb, it's the spring contacts in the bulb sockets that are the problem, that CAN end up melting the circuit board in the light housing.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I'd like to add to this discussion about brake light failures (which are pretty frequent).

The TYC-brand taillight housings on Amazon.com are $44 each and are a perfect match to OEM. They include the bulb holders as well as new bulbs, totally plug-n-play. So if bending the contacts back doesn't work for you, there are good quality, inexpensive replacement housings available. Also good for accident repair.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #37
Mudder_Trucker
1999 WJ 

My lights were bad when i got the Jeep, and i learned that the bulb gets hot and melts the board. I very well could be wrong, but thats what ive heard and it makes sense to me. either way, the way to avoid the tailight issues like that would be to get aftermarket LED tail lights (or non-led if you so choose) these are the ones i have:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...DSC_0432-1.jpg
Unread 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #38
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

info to add

this is a o2 sensor complete buying/reference guide for 4.0 cali emissions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...rands-1441546/
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #39
j4bs4209333
2001 WJ 

Link to repair manuals all vehicles

Hi I'm not sure where this should be posted but I wanted to share it with everyone because a lot of people on here have been very helpful to me. The site is

http://search.ebscohost.com/

Username: tech
Password: tech

Scroll down to Auto Repair Reference Center you can get repair info and diagrams on all makes and models.
j4bs4209333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #40
narnwv

2000 WJ 

How to remove shifter bezel / shift knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
You don't. Cant be done. Have to take the knobs off.

The long story. I just explained it to someone that bought a bezel from me. From the start. You may already know how to remove the center console, so if you do ignore that part.

Console out.
2 screws under the rubber piece under the ash tray.
2 screws under the cup holder.
2 screws in the box under the arm rest.
Pull the box out .
2 screws inside the center console under the box at the back each corner.
Console will come out.

Ways to remove bezel. All ways require removing the knobs.

You have to pop off both shifter knobs.
**BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE GEAR SELECTOR KNOB**. There are two wires running up into it for the OD button. There is no play in the wires to pull the knobs off, they will break. Follow the wires from the connector up the the arm for the gear selector and undo it from the points securing it to the arm. This will give you slack when you pop up the knob.

The will pull off with a real good tug (Watch you head on the roof).

My preferred method is to use a really big crescent wrench or wrench. I have a 1 5/8" one that is over 18" long. I put a rag over the open end and put it around the base of the trans selector (in 1st) and the handle on top of the 4x4 selector (in 4lo). The leverage will pop off the trans selector pretty easy with a good smack on the end of the wrench with my hand.

Do the same with the 4x4 selector and put the handle on the trans shifter shaft. Then a good smack. Both knobs are off now.

Unclip the bezel from both sides. Will slip over 4x4 shaft .

At this point you have a couple choices.

You can cut the 2 wires to the OD. Slide the bezel off and put new one on and splice the wires back together. Put the console back in and your done.

Next choice disassemble it.
Figure out how to get the pins out of the connector. Remove wires from the Slide the bezel off and put new one on.

Next choice disassemble it.

Remove the light strip

The light strip just slides over 2 pins on a little elect box. Untuck the strip from under the plastic at the front. Lift it out towards the back and then slide it of the transformer or what ever that little power box is. Set aside.

Remove light pwr box.

This box will need to come out as it is part of the harness and cant be unplugged. There are two little tabs holding it in in top. These are a pain in the a$$. I found that a sharp screw drive pushed across the tabs and remove them makes it easy to get it out. Wont effect it staying in place when you put it in. Remove box. and unattach the harness from the frame

Harness connector.

Either pop it off the metal bracket or slide it off the plastic bracket.

Wiring harness to OD should be loose already.

If you have the type shifter with the solenoid in the front that will have to be taken loose and take the bracket that the bezel clips to off.
It is held on by 2 clips in the back and sorta hinged in the front. Gently pry the clips loose and the lift by the back and the front will slip off.

Remove the wiring harness on the gear selector and light strip.

Feed the harness and shifter blinds out the old bezel.

Reassemble in reverse.

And your done.

I would just figure how to get the wires out of the connector or splice the OD wires and be done with it.

Think that it. Good luck if you decide to accept this mission.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #41
Newfive
2000 WJ 

Selec-Trac dash light indicator

This information is from 99-04 Jeep Dealer Repair Manual

SHIFT INDICATOR (TRANSFER CASE)

DESCRIPTION

A part time indicator is standard equipment on all instrument clusters, but is only functional on vehicles equipped with the standard equipment Selec-Trac four-wheel drive system. The part time indicator lamp is located near the right edge of the instrument cluster overlay, just to the right of the engine coolant temperature gauge.

The part time indicator consists of the words “PART TIME” imprinted on an amber lens. The lens is located behind a cutout in the opaque layer of the instrument cluster overlay. The dark outer layer of the overlay prevents the indicator from being clearly visible when the lamp is not illuminated. The words “PART TIME” appear silhouetted in an amber field through the translucent outer layer of the overlay when the indicator is illuminated from behind by a replaceable incandescent bulb and bulb holder unit located on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board. Because this indicator may remain illuminated for extended periods, it is designed to automatically illuminate at a slightly lower intensity whenever the exterior lighting is turned On. The part time indicator is serviced as a unit with the instrument cluster lens, hood and mask unit.

OPERATION

The part time indicator lamp gives an indication to the vehicle operator that a part time operating mode of the four-wheel drive transfer case is selected. On vehicles with the standard equipment Selec-Trac four-wheel drive system, the part time indicator lights when the NV-242 transfer case is engaged in either the 4 X 4 Part Time or 4 Lo operating ranges. This lamp is controlled by a hard wired transfer case switch input to the instrument cluster electronic circuit board. The part time indicator lamp bulb receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (st-run) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the On or Start positions; therefore, the lamp will always be off when the ignition switch is in any position except On or Start. The lamp bulb only illuminates when it is provided a path to ground by the transfer case switch.

The transfer case switch is connected in series between ground and the part time 4 wheel drive indicator driver input to the instrument cluster. For further information on the NV-242 transfer case and the transfer case operating ranges, (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE - OPERATION - NV-242). The part time indicator lamp and the transfer case switch can be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and methods.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - PART TIME INDICATOR

The diagnosis found here addresses an inoperative part time indicator lamp condition. If the problem being diagnosed is related to lamp accuracy, be certain to confirm that the problem is with the lamp or transfer case switch and not with a damaged or inoperative transfer case or transfer case shift linkage. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/ TRANSFER CASE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - NV-242). If no transfer case problem is found, the following procedure will help to locate a short or open in the part time indicator lamp control circuit. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE.

THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

LAMP DOES NOT ILLUMINATE WITH PART TIME MODE SELECTED

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the engine wire harness connector for the transfer case switch from the transfer case switch connector receptacle. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the engine wire harness connector for the transfer case switch and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground (G104) as required.

(2) Reconnect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Install a jumper wire between the part time 4 wheel drive indicator WJ INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 8J - 27 SEATBELT INDICATOR (Continued) driver circuit cavity of the engine wire harness connector for the transfer case switch and a good ground. The part time indicator lamp should light. If OK, replace the faulty transfer case switch. If not OK, go to Step 3.

(3) Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster from the instrument panel. Check for continuity between the part time 4 wheel drive indicator driver circuit cavities of the instrument panel wire harness connector for the instrument cluster and the engine wire harness connector for the transfer case switch. There should be continuity. If OK, replace the faulty part time indicator lamp bulb. If not OK, repair the open part time 4 wheel drive indicator driver circuit between the instrument cluster and the transfer case switch as required.

LAMP STAYS ILLUMINATED WITH PART TIME MODE NOT SELECTED

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the engine wire harness connector for the transfer case switch from the switch connector receptacle. Check for continuity between the ground circuit and the part time 4 wheel drive indicator driver circuit terminals in the transfer case switch connector receptacle. There should be no continuity. If OK, repair the shorted part time 4 wheel drive indicator driver circuit between the transfer case switch and the instrument cluster as required. If not OK, replace the faulty transfer case switch.
Newfive is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #42
link375
2001 WJ 

Multiple videos

Power steering leak and hose repair

Blinker relay crack repair

Complete Dashboard removal for fixing heater core, blend doors, AC/evap

Transmission solenoid pack replacment

Throttle body and idle control valve cleaning

transmission input and output speed sensor replacement

link375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #43
WJ4x4LIFE

02-04' 4.7L WJ Hydraulic Fan Solenoid JOB/FIX

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post18701338
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #44
WJ4x4LIFE

Jeep ZJ, XJ, and WJ axle information, everything and more....

COVERS:
  • D30: (HP & LP)
  • D35: (REAR)
  • D44: (REAR & FRONT)
  • D60: (REAR & FRONT)
  • Ford 8.8" & 9" (REAR)

- THIS LINK BELOW -

http://csloffroad.com/jeepzjxjwjaxleinfo.aspx
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #45
WJ4x4LIFE

LOOKING FOR PARTS OR PART #'s? You can start here, below....

OEM connectors, pigtails & harnesses, every single one....

http://starparts.chrysler.com/starli...navigation.htm

OEM look up for parts and accessories, every single thing.....

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.