WJ engine speed circuit malfunction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ engine speed circuit malfunction

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
kjcrosby52
2000 WJ 

WJ engine speed circuit malfunction

Codes are P0320 and P0725, intermittent problems include engine stopping on idle, speeding on idle, sometimes at highway speed a violent jerk, then trans goes into limp-home mode (no first or overdrive). Could it be the crank position sensor, or maybe just an intermittent bad wiring connection, or something else?

kjcrosby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

I would start with the Throttle Position Sensor. They have been known to create every symptom you have described.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

P0320 indicates a bad crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. Without that sensor, the engine will run poorly if it runs at all.

Signals from the CKP sensor is also how the PCM gets engine speed information. The P0725 code indicates that is not happening.

To me it's a no brainer. Replace the CKP sensor.
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Ahh ha, I didnt catch the two codes the first time I read it. Definitely start with the CKP. The connector may have just popped off or a wire frayed. So check that before replacing the sensor.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
kjcrosby52
2000 WJ 

WJ engine speed circuit malfunction

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, all seems great for now. Since the problem was intermittent, only time will tell for sure. Removal is a chore because the space is so limited. Just 2 bolts to remove the starter working from underneath, but only space for about one notch of wrench turn, so it took awhile to turn them both out. I did not take the wires off the starter, just swung it up somewhat out of the way. The bolt that holds in the sensor took many little one-notch turns to get out, too, then it's hard to get a hand up in there to wiggle the sensor out. Prying does not work well, you just have to wiggle and pull and be patient. Then I pulled it all down to where I could get both hands on the connector and worked at that for a few minutes before it finally came off. Reinstallation was easy but also took time, one little wrench turn at a time. Be patient, it just takes persistence.
kjcrosby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I guess if you can put it up on a rack and had good selection of tools, it might not be so bad. Otherwise it is indeed a PITA. I ended up having mine towed to the dealership when mine needed replacement. Hope the problem is definitely solved.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
codes , engine speed , grand cherokee , obd-ii , wj jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.