WJ Dana 30 vs JK Dana 30.. axle tube diameters and Inner C sizes??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Dana 30 vs JK Dana 30.. axle tube diameters and Inner C sizes???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #16
grin
1999 WJ 

virtually no modifications -- the sway bar mount (passenger side) takes some work, and I raised my trac-bar mount, but that may or may not be necessary if you use the stock steering configuration (I raised the draglink OTK).

grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEinSoCal View Post
i'm in the same situation. just found out my D30 is bent after a complete full front end overhaul -- 4.56 gear, OTK steering, drag flip, IRO sleeves, dual stablizers, etc. With all that i've invested, for now i'll probably just go the same route and pick up another D30 housing, then truss the hell out of it.

how much did it run you to straighten out your axle?
I did it myself. I bought some chain with hooks at harbor freight, and used a bottle jack, and a oxy-actelene torch to heat it up, and bend it back. I put chains around the ends of the axle, ran underneath the bottle jack, and heated up the axle tube, and jacked it straight. I put 2 angle finders on the discs, and kept going until it was straight.

Here is a pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinWJ View Post
So...if I'm reading this correct...the HP Dana 30 out of a JK will bolt in with no modifications?

I can deal with bowed coil springs as dealing with that is minor.
I am pretty sure its wider than the WJ axle, so your tires will stick out further.. but from what these guys are saying, yeah.

G-
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
grin
1999 WJ 

its only an inch wider -- WJ's are 63.5" WMS to WMS, JK's are 64.5. You won't even notice the difference.
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grin View Post
virtually no modifications -- the sway bar mount (passenger side) takes some work, and I raised my trac-bar mount, but that may or may not be necessary if you use the stock steering configuration (I raised the draglink OTK).
Thanks for the info.

I'd strongly consider going this route if I knew the track bar would fit with no modifications. IIRC, I wouldn't be running OTK steering.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
grin
1999 WJ 

I can't confirm that, as I think the JK tracbar is actually slightly shorter than a stock WJ... might work, might be close, IDK.
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRGreg View Post
I did it myself. I bought some chain with hooks at harbor freight, and used a bottle jack, and a oxy-actelene torch to heat it up, and bend it back. I put chains around the ends of the axle, ran underneath the bottle jack, and heated up the axle tube, and jacked it straight. I put 2 angle finders on the discs, and kept going until it was straight.

Here is a pic:

I am pretty sure its wider than the WJ axle, so your tires will stick out further.. but from what these guys are saying, yeah.

G-
I'm ok with the width...I run 1.5" spacers right now so I'd just ditch the spacers in the front if I upgraded to JK axle. I'm still trying to search around for a definite answer as to whether it can be installed without fabrication.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

How do they compare strength wise???
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
HaViiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #23
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

Quote:
ya know the JK D30's are a dime a dozen for the guys swapping them out, and have 32-spline outers. They are virtually bolt-in in a WJ, with only 1" additional width, and a slight bowing of the springs like this: / \ . Plus they're high pinion, giving you some additional r&p strength over the WJ version -- the only mod I made to mine bolting it in was to elevate the tracbar mount (and brakelines). I'd find a JK30, sleeve and gusset it, and wheel the crap out of it, especially since you say you already bent your WJ housing...
do you have any pics of your JK D30 under your WJ? i also want to see any modifications you've made
Unread 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #24
grin
1999 WJ 

A few... straight on, from the front:

I used some angle iron to turn the passenger-side sway disco 90*, but its a design that I'm still working on, as it tends to want to bend a bit under load... you can see the track bar bracket fabbed from 1/4-wall 2x4, and mounted on top of the stock track bar location in this pic as well:

You can see the OTK draglink in the a couple of those photos as well -- works great!
Unread 04-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #25
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

grin, does your ABS still work up front? i'm assuming you're running a rough country dual steering stabilizer setup? thanks for the pics by the way, looks good
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #26
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
I'm sure IRO's option is good, but most here don't have or aren't willing to pay $5K for just a front axle!
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #28
grin
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEinSoCal View Post
grin, does your ABS still work up front? i'm assuming you're running a rough country dual steering stabilizer setup? thanks for the pics by the way, looks good
I bypassed ABS altogether - I hate ABS, plus the JK uses a different tone ring count than the WJ, so it just wasn't worth the effort to keep it even if I wanted to.

I am running an ancient Rancho single stabilizer that once lived on my XJ (in the 90's )... I have a newer one but since this one is working, I haven't got around to putting it on. I went 10 years on the XJ without a stabilizer at all and never missed it - if your steering is dialed in and the parts are in good shape, IMHO it isn't necessary.

The pre-built IRO axles are great, but since I have a grand total of $1400 in both my front JK 30 and my elocked JK44 rear, the $5k price tag at IRO is a bit shocking...
Unread 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #29
wj4play
1999 WJ 

Quote:
2008 4dr X
Awesome thanks, Do you have any pic on the front end changes you made?

I think this will be the route I go
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #30
FrankTheDank
1999 WJ 

Iro makes some nice wj d30 strength upgrades
::4.0::42RE::242::Carolina Driveline::Spartan Locked D30::Aussie locked 44A::4.56!!!::4'' IRO LA::33/12'' Retreads::4"BS wheels::IRO T case skid::2 12'' Kenwood Subs 1000 Watt Kenwood Amp::Iceland Winch Bumper::Smittybilt XRC8::
STOCK 97 ZJ LAREDO-Daily Driver
Quote:
I don't need to lie...that way I never have to remember what I said
FrankTheDank is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.