WJ Custom Mattress Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Custom Mattress Mod

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Wj WJ Custom Mattress Mod

Did some searching for camping mods and there was only one, but this is for specifically on how you turned your cargo area to a sleeping area!

Anybody around here ever build/make a custom mattress or bed in the back of the WJ with the seats down? If so did you go with buying a custom air mattress or did you buy some foam to cut and throw back there? Would like to see PICTURES of what you did along with what you don't and do like about it!

Camping season is here!

Thanks!!

PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

4" memory foam cut to shape, cost me $100 for a queen size piece- no pics.

i will be sure to update my "lets see your camping mods" thread when i get some more stuff done.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Typically I camp in my tent, but at ski tournaments we camp because we're poor college students. I don't like having my nice REI tent out for people to mess up so I sleep in the Jeep. In that case I just have a queen size air mattress I got at Walmart for the back. It's not custom so it bows up a bit at the sides but I haven't had any issues with it. And sorry no pics of it.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDubyaJ View Post
4" memory foam cut to shape, cost me $100 for a queen size piece- no pics.

i will be sure to update my "lets see your camping mods" thread when i get some more stuff done.
I'm thinking about going the memory foam way as well, and when it wasn't in use I could roll it up and store it somewhere. Sure would come in handy after drinking all day at the lake, the queen size did you have a lot to cut? Could I get by with doing a twin or full size?
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

full size would work, i only had to cut spaces out for the rear wheel wells. im still trying to figure out a quick disconnect table for the back as well. when im camping and not using the foam(wheeling) i just stuff it into my spare tire well and set all my gear on top of the cover.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibubts
Typically I camp in my tent, but at ski tournaments we camp because we're poor college students. I don't like having my nice REI tent out for people to mess up so I sleep in the Jeep. In that case I just have a queen size air mattress I got at Walmart for the back. It's not custom so it bows up a bit at the sides but I haven't had any issues with it. And sorry no pics of it.
I bet some one could find a twin size air mattress that would fit perfect
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
full size would work, i only had to cut spaces out for the rear wheel wells. im still trying to figure out a quick disconnect table for the back as well. when im camping and not using the foam(wheeling) i just stuff it into my spare tire well and set all my gear on top of the cover.
Did the queen fill up the entire cargo area then? like window to window? b/c i would want it to fill it up completely and cut out the wheel wells as well not just sit in between the wells.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yup, fills up the whole cargo bay... door to door/ window to window. its quite comfortable.
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
yup, fills up the whole cargo bay... door to door/ window to window. its quite comfortable.
Sweet queen it is!

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I should ad, my girl and I sleep better than everyone we go camping with... i also have the same 4" memory foam on my bed.
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
CantFocus
2003 WJ 

Only time i used the wj for camping, i just threw a old queen sized memory foam pad in the back and was good to go. Dont really see the need for any cutting, even for the wheel wells.
[B][SIZE="3"]Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #338[/SIZE][/B]
2003 WJ Laredo 4.7 Loaded including Upcountry Package - 2" BB - Rola rack - V3 Black Projectors - 55W 5000k HIDs - Yellow 9005 fogs - JKS Discos.... More to come
CantFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I should ad, my girl and I sleep better than everyone we go camping with... i also have the same 4" memory foam on my bed.
haha yeah that was another thing I was taking into consideration, would the boss lady rather sleep on memory foam or an air mattress that will deflate halfway through the night haha

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantFocus View Post
Only time i used the wj for camping, i just threw a old queen sized memory foam pad in the back and was good to go. Dont really see the need for any cutting, even for the wheel wells.
hmmm, wierd. my memory foam had to be cut around the wheel wells in order to lay down flat. sure it wasnt a full size you used?
Unread 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

I saw in a Cabela's magazine a 40$ mattress made specifically for sleeping in the back of a SUV. I don't know what made it specific to cars... but I'm just throwing it out there. I think it was just a twin size too. When I sleep in the back of my Jeep (pretty frequently on weekends) I usually use two sleeping bags laid down for a mattress. It's definitely not the most comfortable thing in the world... but it works. Oh, and if you're stupid like me, sleep with your head at the back of the Jeep. I slept with my head on the back seat part and the lip between the cargo area and the back seats KILLED my back. I did that for awhile until I turned around and realized what I was missing the entire time
Unread 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

If you use memory foam and have an aux outlet or air pump, a vacuum bag with the air sucked out reduces the size of the mattress/foam by a substantial amount.
itsparadoxical is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.